JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Agree. For years they have been the best place for Remington STS shells (and Win AA it seems). $8 per box or often less for premium SG ammo. Current best price on Ammoseek? $13.50 plus shipping. Like to and do support LGS's, but can't remember (like 10 years) that I've seen these shells for under $12 at one. Sportsman's was sometimes $10. So once every few months I would go there to by shells, oil filters and green salsa (best price on this too).

Now it is much cheaper for me to reload using good components (except haven't seen a Remington 209 primer since the bankruptcy).
The local shop has a couple of boxes of sts for $15.99, they were pretty quick to jump on the dramatic price increase train at the beginning of the pandemic, so I won't spend my money there. The next closest shop is braking down the Federal 4 packs and selling them for $25 a box. Walmart, even though supply was intermittent, sells the 4 packs for $29 (they upped the price from $25 to $29 about a month ago).

Thankfully the reloadeder will keep me in the game but cheddites are all I have found, shot isn't horrible, but the powder I like is proving to be elusive.

One of my first brand new rifles was bought at Walmart when I was starting to get into guns. Walmart not selling guns and ammo will reduce the exposure to new potential gun owners and make joining the hobby slightly more difficult. There will likely be a percentage of would be gun owners that never will be now, which is a shame.

Aside from that, the ammo they did stock was usually some of the cheapest and most available.

Wonder if they will stop selling hunting and fishing licenses soon too. Gun owners and the hobby in general will be diminished as they cut back their involvement, whether you like them or not.

It's probably in part due to the Oregon Supreme Court Decision. They were likely worried about getting their arses sued and fined. I wish I would have bought a few more boxes of the 350 Legend ammo when they had it for under $13 box.

Not that I am fond of Walmart....far from it.
I am also not fond of yet another retailer not selling firearms or ammo.
Andy summed it up pretty well.

I hate seeing any place stop selling items to appease to a certain demographic.

Walmart not stocking ammunition might not matter to someone living in a metro area with multiple other supply options available. But if you live in a rural area with fewer options, it matters...
The nearest retail store for me to purchase any ammo at our home in Eastern Washington is a Walmart 25 miles away, there is no other supply option in the town.
Part of living in a rural area involves stocking needed supplies, but yes, Walmart discontinuing sales affects some more than others.
Until they cut off ordering ammo to us common folk again who "needs" Wally to sell ammo? There is a LOT of places that will sell you ammo at the same price or less than Wally and you get it at your door. Now the way gun owners ignore what is going on we will at some point lose this again some day but, for now its easy in this state.

Until they cut off ordering ammo to us common folk again who "needs" Wally to sell ammo? There is a LOT of places that will sell you ammo at the same price or less than Wally and you get it at your door. Now the way gun owners ignore what is going on we will at some point lose this again some day but, for now its easy in this state.
Please enlighten as to where we can find 12 gauge target ammo for the same price or less as Walmart.

Like Fred Meyer, this already happened well over two years ago in our local Walmart. Everything but bird shot and a couple shotguns were removed from shelves. Now it is pretty much one black powder rifle and a single shot shotgun. I haven't even seen any shells for months.

Quite honestly, there are many reasons to dislike Walmart. This is just one of them. I'm not one to jump on a boycott bandwagon, but I am also getting tired of businesses giving me SJW/CRT sermons when all I want to do is buy some dang groceries and go home.

Or 22lr ammo. I was paying approx .057/cpr
So which Wally that still sells ammo has this? I used to pay .03 PR for CCI MM but that was a while ago. So comparing what something "used to sell for" with current price does little. When the panic before this one ended I was buying my .22 ammo from SG. Wally price on it was $7.79 per sleeve. SG price was $6 per sleeve if I bought a case at a time. Not to mention it came to my front door. I did not have to drive to Wally, then wait for them to page someone to come to the gun counter several times. Gun people were angry when Wally came on the scene and angry when Wally decided it was not worth bothering to sell. Talk about people who are never happy:confused:

@Alexx1401

29.99 for 100 Federal 12 gauge 3 dram 7 1/2 = 7.49 per box = .29 per shell.
Looks like you are SOL then if Wally is still selling at that price in this state. Taking a quick look seems like .42 + now. So if Wally is still selling it at .29 next time you are in one of the larger towns with a Wally that is still selling it buy a case or two. Stuff never goes bad and does not look like it will get cheaper.

Walmart not selling guns and ammo will reduce the exposure to new potential gun owners and make joining the hobby slightly more difficult.
I'll agree with 'slightly' but like I referenced previously what did we do before Wal Mart, the internet, and all the other methods of shopping for and obtaining guns? Small gunshops, some retail stores, local classified papers and FTF deals made up a big part of it. Also Wal Mart has never really had a big 'footprint' in the world of retail gun sales. I'll use Bi Mart as an example. I'll go into Bi MArt and often see many people in the gun department, looking, handling discussing guns and shooting and its refreshing to see this. I have never seen this in a Walmart.

I'll admit SB 941 really inhibits many now of what a LOT of us were accustomed to with regard to obtaining guns but in reality there is more access to guns now than there has ever been.

So which Wally that still sells ammo has this? I used to pay .03 PR for CCI MM but that was a while ago. So comparing what something "used to sell for" with current price does little. When the panic before this one ended I was buying my .22 ammo from SG. Wally price on it was $7.79 per sleeve. SG price was $6 per sleeve if I bought a case at a time. Not to mention it came to my front door. I did not have to drive to Wally, then wait for them to page someone to come to the gun counter several times. Gun people were angry when Wally came on the scene and angry when Wally decided it was not worth bothering to sell. Talk about people who are never happy:confused:
Woodburn. About 3 weeks was the last time I went in. Got 3 boxes of 22lr auto match for 58 dollars and some change. I hope that I can find online prices like that one day!

Woodburn. About 3 weeks was the last time I went in. Got 3 boxes of 22lr auto match for 58 dollars and some change. I hope that I can find online prices like that one day!
Fed Automatch, That comes to .06 per round which is the "common" price for that ammo When it is found. Sadly now that this latest panic is finally subsiding the problem is cost of materials. Until that comes back down we will not see the .06 a round again. Common now is .11 or more for name brand stuff and Wally's who still sell will be at that same price until the price of the raw materials comes back. :(

Looks like you are SOL then if Wally is still selling at that price in this state. Taking a quick look seems like .42 + now. So if Wally is still selling it at .29 next time you are in one of the larger towns with a Wally that is still selling it buy a case or two. Stuff never goes bad and does not look like it will get cheaper.
That's my plan, in fact as soon as this lunch is over I am going to check a new Walmart.

To me, this is less of pandering to a demographic than mitigating legal risk.
Given the legislated liability forced upon gun owners for the use of their stolen guns, it's not a far stretch for an astute attorney to break that barrier and drag the seller of the gun into the legal quagmire.
They might profit a million or more in the sale of guns, in Oregon, but they will easily blow 10x that in a protracted liability defense case.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews