JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wally's have been getting out of the gun and ammo business for a LONG time now. To me its been a big yawn. What I have never understood is why this seems to be "news worthy" to so many gun owners. When Wally came along a LOT of gun people complained constantly about how they were going to hurt the smaller shops. So now every time one of them stops the same people are all upset they quit:confused:
To me its who the hell cares.

The nearest Walmart to me already stopped selling guns, and handgun ammo awhile ago, theres never anything but a couple of boxes of shells on the shelf.
I try not to shop there anyway, I don't like their politics.

I used to get ammo every week at the local walmart and animal food paper supplies and some food supplies. But haven't been in one in 2 years.
So they loose 600 a month sales because there anti 2a opinion.

Wally's have been getting out of the gun and ammo business for a LONG time now. To me its been a big yawn.
Ditto this. Heck every time I would go into the Bend Wal Mart I would pass by the 'sporting good' section and most of the time saw no employee in the department. Not that I was looking for anything anyway but just an observation.

Seems like guns and ammo were just 'convenience' items to them anyway.

Heck I look back at my gun buying 'history' and it started out with small gunshops, sporting goods stores, pawnshops, shows, FTF deals and a few retail stores (Bi Mart mostly ) but realistically I have never relied on a large store such as Wal Mart for anything.

Last Edited:
Ditto this. Heck every time I would go into the Bend Wal Mart I would pass by the 'sporting good' section and most of the time see no employee in the department. Not that I was looking for anything anyway but just an observation.

Seems like guns and ammo were just 'convenience' items to them anyway.

Heck I look back at my gun buying 'history' and it started out with small gunshops, sporting goods stores, pawnshops, shows and a few retail stores (Bi Mart mostly ) but realistically I have never relied on a large store such as Wal Mart for anything.
YEP! When Wally's started to get out of guns it often had people screaming they were anti. They only care about making a buck. When it gets to be more trouble than the bean counters figure its worth they stop. That's why most of them that still sell at all have no one working the counter. Its often a huge hassle to buy because they don't care. Its not something they make enough on to care about. LONG ago when the ones around me were still selling guns at a section that had an employee stationed there we used to buy a lot of .22 ammo there. After on line ordering got going good the store soon had no one at the counter and it was not worth bothering. When we were dating Wife bought me a shotgun at Wally. Win Police model. She was laughing about it when she told me how it went. She had to have a manager walk the gun out to her car for her and they would not let her buy ammo. So manager walks to her car with gun, she locks it up. Follows manager back into store and buys ammo and walks out. Years later she came home one day with a Ruger 10/22 that was a special run for Wally. Many to this day when they see it ask me about it as they had never seen one like it. Now days its just not worth it to them to bother with gun stuff so more and more stores just stopped. I figure the lost business is good for other places that will take up the slack left behind.

Probably the BEST ever sporting goods/Gun shop EVER was a place called 'Cent Wise Sporting goods' in Redmond, OR and was a 'separate' branch of the 'Cent Wise' retail store that was a cornerstone in Redmond for a long time.

I was still shopping there through the late 90's when it was still in operation (if i recall) and cannot remember when it shut down but I think it was in the early 2000s. My life was in 'flux' during this time and I moved to LaPine in 2004 so I wasn't getting to Redmond as much as used to (other than to visit my mom and dad who lived in Redmond) but it was a great 'old school' type of sporting goods/gun shop, and I was known on a first name basis by the owner and employees and could 'comfortably' hang out in and look around, handle guns and bought many from them over the years.

Wally's have been getting out of the gun and ammo business for a LONG time now. To me its been a big yawn. What I have never understood is why this seems to be "news worthy" to so many gun owners. When Wally came along a LOT of gun people complained constantly about how they were going to hurt the smaller shops. So now every time one of them stops the same people are all upset they quit:confused:
To me its who the hell cares.
Walmart not stocking ammunition might not matter to someone living in a metro area with multiple other supply options available. But if you live in a rural area with fewer options, it matters...
The nearest retail store for me to purchase any ammo at our home in Eastern Washington is a Walmart 25 miles away, there is no other supply option in the town.
Part of living in a rural area involves stocking needed supplies, but yes, Walmart discontinuing sales affects some more than others.

Walmart not stocking ammunition might not matter to someone living in a metro area with multiple other supply options available. But if you live in a rural area with fewer options, it matters...
The nearest retail store for me to purchase any ammo at our home in Eastern Washington is a Walmart 25 miles away, there is no other supply option in the town.
Part of living in a rural area involves stocking needed supplies, but yes, Walmart discontinuing sales affects some more than others.
Use the interwebs and order in bulk it has kept me going for the past 15 years but again even the feed stores had ammo in Colorado.

Not that I am fond of Walmart....far from it.
I am also not fond of yet another retailer not selling firearms or ammo.

I have been to places in around the country where the Walmart was the only game in town...( or damn near )
So if they decide to not sell certain items , it can affect folks adversely.

The above of course will be different depending on where you are at....some areas have lots of choices...so this may not be a big deal....

Something else to consider is the notion of trends....
If more and more stores stop selling firearms , for whatever their reasons....then it means less firearms and ammo to be had.
( At least for a given area . )
Trends tend to be "catchy"....as in if one person or store does something...more will follow.....
Andy

Where can I buy bulk target 12 gauge ammo for the price that Walmart currently offers? I will save you the ammoseek search, nowhere.
Agree. For years they have been the best place for Remington STS shells (and Win AA it seems). $8 per box or often less for premium SG ammo. Current best price on Ammoseek? $13.50 plus shipping. Like to and do support LGS's, but can't remember (like 10 years) that I've seen these shells for under $12 at one. Sportsman's was sometimes $10. So once every few months I would go there to by shells, oil filters and green salsa (best price on this too).

Now it is much cheaper for me to reload using good components (except haven't seen a Remington 209 primer since the bankruptcy).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top