JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
cuck.jpg

Reminds me of the guy I once saw in Bend, and posted about previously:

Remember the 'tall, lankey stupid lookin' fella' I once posted about I saw OCing in a Bend pawn shop ? He had two SA revolvers in old leather holsters hanging forward on his belt (kind of like pointing at each other)

I described him as looking like a bad extra in a spaghetti western or a like someone from the 1920's defending his still against the revenuers.

Yeah, "Strapped." In this case, not just a term used to refer to being armed in the Ghetto. If it was a western type holster, maybe it was truly strapped down with a leather thong or whatever. Piece of Piggin String?

The other Ghetto word that entertains me is, "Whip" for car.

One time I got started reading George Pelecanos novels, which are mostly set in Wash. DC Ghetto areas. There is a wealth of interesting vocabulary to be found in those.

Piggin Strings or Strips are oft mentioned in Louis Lamour literature.

I described him as looking like a bad extra in a spaghetti western or a like someone from the 1920's
Maybe he was suited up for and on his way to a parade?? Or not. As a child, I used to see those fancy cowboys in town for parades, with all that silver on their saddles and tack. Two revolvers on their waist, etc.

The costumery in the westerns in the 1920-30's, even 40's, differed a lot from what we saw in the Golden Era of TV westerns middle 1950's-early 60's. Like the Tom Mix kinda flattish holster, vs. something that Matt Dillon wore in Gunsmoke. Hat styles in film are another example of change of depiction. In the 20's, tall crowns and super wide brims were popular. In the later Matt Dillon TV days, shorter crowns were more typical. Was it history or was it imagination of the costume departments? Some of both, I suspect.

The two gun outfit, I don't know for sure but I'm thinking toting two hefty single actions around all day probably wasn't usual.

Looks like New Yorker are well trained. See a gun and panic. Now, if he said, "I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick a$$, and I'm all out of bubblegum", okay. I could see that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top