JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was always curious what defined hoarding ammo? I can see price gouging as an issue, but hording really should be up to ones pocket book.
To play the devils advocate here, are we thinking hording is when someone has more then most? And if everyone eventually had the same amount of ammo would the person that horded no longer be a horder?
If that is true then hording is not based on how much one acquires, but how little everyone else does???
I have about 10,000rds of 22lr, now I got that over a period of a decade. But if I went right now and bought it all at once am I all of a sudden a horder ? I have the same amount of ammo, so is it the way it is acquired as well ?

All that said and done it does not seem that hording is basic in amount at all but how people feel when they do not have and others do?

Food for thought.:s0093:

I was always curious what defined hoarding ammo? I can see price gouging as an issue, but hording really should be up to ones pocket book.
To play the devils advocate here, are we thinking hording is when someone has more then most? And if everyone eventually had the same amount of ammo would the person that horded no longer be a horder?
If that is true then hording is not based on how much one acquires, but how little everyone else does???
I have about 10,000rds of 22lr, now I got that over a period of a decade. But if I went right now and bought it all at once am I all of a sudden a horder ? I have the same amount of ammo, so is it the way it is acquired as well ?

All that said and done it does not seem that hording is basic in amount at all but how people feel when they do not have and others do?

Good question. The definitions of 'hoard' or 'hoarding' run along these lines: "to accumulate money, food, or the like, in a hidden or carefully guarded place for preservation, future use, etc." (source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hoarding) I see nothing in the definition that implies that having a hoard of something, or that the act of hoarding, is in and of itself a negative action. It appears to be nothing more than being prepared.

Seems that whether it's good or bad, hoarding is in the eye of the beholder. Many people don't plan ahead. They don't plan for retirement. They don't plan for disasters. They don't even plan for a simple power outage - which you can see when people start scrambling madly through their house to see if they even have a working flashlight. It's at those times of panic that they look at those that did plan ahead and perceive some sort of evil intent. As if all the things they needed weren't available before because someone else bought them all up.

I have very little sympathy for those that whine and moan about what they don't have in the bad times, particularly if they had the means to plan beforehand, but instead chose to spend their time, money and efforts on things that can't help them now.

Then they come to a site like this to complain that they can't get what they want or need. It's their own fault, and laying their complaints out here simply lets everyone see for themselves who didn't get it before.

Ill admit, when the .22 panic started I purchased .22 anytime I saw it at the store, never participated in the higher priced .22 scam.

But Im a magazine glutton.. Ive cleaned out a few stores during the first panic, when it died down, during the second panic and when it too died down. But its because "I" wasnt prepared. Its a game, if I could get it and get it at a good price, I did. However Ive sacrificed attending social events and restricted other parts of my budget to afford what I needed and wanted more of.

As Medic! stated, only a weak, small man hates those that work hard, are successful and sacrifice for what they love. Sounds like that guy was an entitled, bitter individual.
Trade and shop around man, thats half the fun!

We all have our comfort zones. Mine is a minimum of 1000 rounds per caliber in the safe. (Well, the shottie is an exception). While my 20,000 rounds doesn't mean I maintain 20 calibers it does mean I feel comfortable that I have what I would need in almost any circumstance, including my goal to participate in some defensive firearms classes which will eat into my stash.

I don't think this defines hoarding, but if it did I wouldn't change a thing anyway!

Well......It's very apparent to me that you are hoarding, I mean 10,000rnds, seriously? I think that the only way to mitigate your evil sins is to bring about half of your terrible hoard over to my place ASAP!!! :D

Well......It's very apparent to me that you are hoarding, I mean 10,000rnds, seriously? I think that the only way to mitigate your evil sins is to bring about half of your terrible hoard over to my place ASAP!!! :D

Yes I do feel so ashamed............... I will get right on that first thing in the morning ;)

Basic AR carbines (that shoot really well IMO) are dirt cheap right now! .223/5.56 and magazines have been down for a while now. So, perhaps our dear, departed comerad, Ficklefinger has that which he so desired now!

Since looking back over this thread I've been feeling nostalgic about old fickle. Even though he was kind of a left handed monkey wrench he was Hilarious!!!!!o_O

COME ON AMERICA! BUY A BILLION MORE GUNS! HELP OBOMA's RECOVERY!!!

Basic AR carbines (that shoot really well IMO) are dirt cheap right now! .223/5.56 and magazines have been down for a while now. So, perhaps our dear, departed comerad, Ficklefinger has that which he so desired now!

Since looking back over this thread I've been feeling nostalgic about old fickle. Even though he was kind of a left handed monkey wrench he was Hilarious!!!!!o_O

COME ON AMERICA! BUY A BILLION MORE GUNS! HELP OBOMA's RECOVERY!!!

And those same cheap AR's will be selling for $1,200 if Hillary wins ;)

Heck, I'm tempted to buy another gun just to pay my respects to the guns destroyed in Hawaii. Might as well help replace them and keep the gun makers in business!

etrain, I think you're on to something here! Buy a dozen or so basic AR's and have Hillary's grill:( engraved on the magazine well! We'll make a killing!:)

This post from 2013 made me smile a little. Current prices are half of what we were seeing at that time.

Enjoy it (and stock up) while it lasts!

E

Perhaps it's a good idea to look back a few years from time to time to be reminded of how bad it was in the months right after SH. Many things in terms of price and availability have improved since then, but we're always just another 'event' away from causing another panic. All thanks to the MSM and Politicians - they do a great job keeping ammo and gun manufacturers in business.

Maybe we should send Obama a thank you note for keeping the gun industry thriving and growing throughout his presidency.

I would, if I had the extra cash right now, stock up on some cheap AR's and 10/22's to sell off during the next panic - maybe I could retire early. I remember stock 10/22's in 2013 going for $500-$600 and getting snapped up quickly at that price.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews