JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
3 day is no more. What business wants the liability of handing a firearm to someone that hasn't completed the process.
IMO that burden and liability should be on the OSP. If they can't comply within the time limit set by law they should have to contact the FFL with a reason to delay or give approval. We are innocent until found guilty and not the other way around. It's their burden to show that we are ineligible and not ours to prove we are eligible.

I've done two BGC in the last two weeks and each of them took less about 10-15 minutes to get approved. I used my CHL for the check each time. Once at J&B Firearms, the other at Tigard Pawn 4 More.

IMO that burden and liability should be on the OSP. If they can't comply within the time limit set by law they should have to contact the FFL with a reason to delay or give approval. We are innocent until found guilty and not the other way around. It's their burden to show that we are ineligible and not ours to prove we are eligible.
That SHOULD be the way it is. And "back in the day" when the regulation was put in print I'd say it was just for the reason to keep OSP from dragging their feet on background checks. And would force them to keep a team employed that did background checks in an expedient manor.
This isn't THAT Oregon anymore. But to be fair, how many BG checks have needed done on a weekly basis in the last two years compared to the number in, say, 1992? Or 2010?

That SHOULD be the way it is. And "back in the day" when the regulation was put in print I'd say it was just for the reason to keep OSP from dragging their feet on background checks. And would force them to keep a team employed that did background checks in an expedient manor.
This isn't THAT Oregon anymore. But to be fair, how many BG checks have needed done on a weekly basis in the last two years compared to the number in, say, 1992? Or 2010?
And how much larger is the number of people employed by the state compared to then. THEY are the ones who decided that ALL firearms had to pass a BGC, so they should staff for it and follow the rules.

And how much larger is the number of people employed by the state compared to then. THEY are the ones who decided that ALL firearms had to pass a BGC, so they should staff for it and follow the rules.
Gosh, I don't know? If they use the same model for OSP that they use for the largest cities in Oregon? Scary.
We all know how it "Should" be. But like I said, it isn't that Oregon anymore.

Picked up a lower today. BGC took less than 10 min. I used CHL with SSN, I know there are at least 2 other people with my first and last name in OR. Once he entered the info, he said I was 2nd in the queue.

I have purchased 7 firearms over the past ~2 years, and only one of those purchases (the second one) had a background check that didnt go through instantly.

Dont have a CHL (yet), but I do have a very unique name, so I assume thats why I am usually able to get through instantly.

The queue had been floating around 4,500 to 4,700 most of this week but today it's going up pretty rapidly and I think we'll see 5k by end of the day:

IMG_0167.jpg

Walked in and was out the door in 10 minutes including a quick look over the gun and giving the seller his money. There's not another person in the U.S. with my same name, so I think that definitely helps.

thing that gets me is the other week I had 4 firearms at different locations, all in the queue, the NICS system didnt clear them all when the first one hit a review they did them all separately, that is the inefficiency we are dealing with on a state employment level. then on top of that the following week I purchased a firearm and went it to the NICS at 4200 and was cleared the following day... its got zero reasoning behind how they process the background check.

The regular gal I talk to most weeks at 122nd & Halsey BiMart is telling me people WITH CCL are being held back the same as those without the CCL. I Don't know if it's true. No one yet has claimed a 2-3 week wait using the CPL for ID.
?
It is a fact, used my CCL 3 weeks ago and it looks like it will be at least another 3 weeks. Still at 5,500 Friday!

It is a fact, used my CCL 3 weeks ago and it looks like it will be at least another 3 weeks. Still at 5,500 Friday!
Too bad, huh? We bought a spur of the moment gun a couple weeks ago. Northwest Armory is releasing after 3 days with CHL. Not counting weekends.
Crap, just saw you're in Roseburg. :(

Good Luck man.

Two Sundays ago got an instant, last Sunday got an instant, today got two instants. My unique last name seems to be the ticket, as well as a clean record and CHL possibly.

Two Sundays ago got an instant, last Sunday got an instant, today got two instants. My unique last name seems to be the ticket, as well as a clean record and CHL possibly.
There is one other person in Oregon with my name and we both have a brokers license. Might be why I've never had an instant, they're always 10 minutes except the last two when they fully threw me to the back of the bus. Really want a 2-3 new guns though.

Traded pistols with a member from Washington today. I was approved before I finished filling out the form.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top