JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The problem with having so many new gun owners, even if they have shot one before or not, is that most do not have the mind set of owning a weapon. They have a gun now so they think they are protected and safe. Since there are few places to shoot legally and safely, most will not practice and probably not even dry fire and practice loading and unloading with snap caps. Most will put it away somewhere and forget about it and not be able to get to it if they need it. Worst of all, many that have kids will not secure them so that they are child safe. And if they do secure them like they should, they won't be available for easy access. Mostly though, I suspect they will put them in a drawer or a closet where kids will have an easy time of getting a hold of them. And then there is the chance of it getting stolen and being used in a crime or something else illegal.

What it comes down to, the more untrained, the more accidents, the more examples there will be to ban firearms when things settle back to normal and people are not in a panic. And frankly, I doubt the chance of a home invasion is all that much greater today than it was before the pandemic hit. Parking lot and those types of areas, it probably is greater but if you bought a weapon to protect your house and that is where it is, it won't help you when you get attacked in the parking lot of some out of stock grocery store.

Mike

I was told the wait time was over a day and got approved instantly, like as soon as she hit enter.

Out of curiosity, was your form of ID a CHL and/or did you enter your SSN on the 4473? When I run background checks for my side business, I find having one or both of those turns the wait into like a second. If they don't, the wait is a few minutes to seemingly an eternity.

Out of curiosity, was your form of ID a CHL and/or did you enter your SSN on the 4473? When I run background checks for my side business, I find having one or both of those turns the wait into like a second. If they don't, the wait is a few minutes to seemingly an eternity.

I didn't give my SSN and my I'd was a driver's license.

Tennessee isnt running backgrounds at all anymore, 2000 on back log in Oregon, Nevada closing 3hours early now.....at what point are they just going to suspend background checks temporarily?

This bubblegum is stupid, day 7 of waiting to pick up my socom16. I got my concealed renewed week before last, had to get a background check a month prior to get my locksmith license renewed, I pass every background check I'm subjected to, yet I can't buy a bubbleguming long rifle?!

Not true. I saw people going in the shops both experienced and not experienced. I'm not experienced and I never owned a gun before but before the only ten people can be the same place thing, I took a basic handgun course so I've got a bit of confidence in handling my handgun, the shotgun well not 100% but if someone gets into my house I know how to hold it properly and aim. I've shot some guns before so I'll probably be ok. My experience is tbat it was 70% experienced gun owners and 30% inexperienced like me. Don't slam down on us all, we want to protect our families too and I'm a single mom with 3 kids and I just moved back to the USA summer last year and thought I'd have more time to take classes and find the right guns but got rushed by the craziness of CV19. I didn't take all the ammo nor the TP. Anyway, the newbie gun owners are just trying to be safe in the craziness so give us a break ok?

Touché ... I'm what you may call an "experienced" gun owner but I hate it when people try and blame everything on one set of people be it Democrat's, Republicans or newbies gun owners, it's every Americans right to bear arms not just for "experienced" in fact every one at some point was a "newbie".

Touché ... I'm what you may call an "experienced" gun owner but I hate it when people try and blame everything on one set of people be it Democrat's, Republicans or newbies gun owners, it's every Americans right to bear arms not just for "experienced" in fact every one at some point was a "newbie".

The problem isn't in how recently someone acquired a gun, how many hours of formal training someone has, or what their views were at any point.

Some people do not respect what a gun is and what it can do. You are literally holding the power of life and death in your hand when you've got a gun. A disregard for that is not only dangerous for that person, but also everyone around them.

The problem isn't in how recently someone acquired a gun, how many hours of formal training someone has, or what their views were at any point.

Some people do not respect what a gun is and what it can do. You are literally holding the power of life and death in your hand when you've got a gun. A disregard for that is not only dangerous for that person, but also everyone around them.
Who's to say who does or doesn't have that respect? Who's to judge that? Who's got the right to do that?

Could we maybe discuss who is and isn't buying guns on some other thread?

When they stop processing background checks, which is inevitable, is that not completely unconstitutional?

I've already got my shark of a lawyer on the case, hopefully they keep their heads and don't do anything stupid like shut down processing. I just read they are now ONLY TAKING ONLINE APPLICATIONS due to "unforeseen circumstances"

I was told the wait time was over a day and got approved instantly, like as soon as she hit enter.
Me too, today I was expecting to wait a day or two for it to clear cause the OSP background check que was in the 2,000's.
A little prayer beforehand must have helped.
Edit: Picked up a SAA clone in .45 LC can't wait to get to the range in a few days.

Who's to say who does or doesn't have that respect? Who's to judge that? Who's got the right to do that?
I have personally witnessed several "negligent" discharges, and lost track of how many times seen piss poor, dangerous gun handling. The hands down highest percentage of both of these are people who own and have owned a long time and "think" they are experts. Just ask them and they will tell you how smart they are. At least until they blow a hole in something they did not intend to. Almost all the "newbies" I have taught were super careful when learning. The reason so many outdoor area's are now off limits to shooting is MORONS who know real well how to use guns. So they go out and trash places, shoot holes in signs and such, then scream when an area is shut down to shooting. These are not new people who just bought a gun. I do want to see newbies learn but, the hands down worst number of stupid things happen from people who should know better and can't be trained. They make all the rest of us look bad.

Went in to buy a .22 Cricket for my grandkids. Background took 2 days. I'm in good standing in all regards. System was crashed and overloaded. When they submitted it he said they'd just get the spinning wheel of death.

I think when people have a not-so-common name that BGCs go quicker. Like Aliquascious Ferddbarbur Sackenpanscer will get you through he system faster that "Robert Steven Smith. I've been lucky in that respect.

Yeah, well, you don't see them shutting down car sales and licensing! One only needs to be on the road for a few minutes to see how many irresponsible drivers there are!

I think when people have a not-so-common name that BGCs go quicker. Like Aliquascious Ferddbarbur Sackenpanscer will get you through he system faster that "Robert Steven Smith. I've been lucky in that respect.

Yeah, well, you don't see them shutting down car sales and licensing! One only needs to be on the road for a few minutes to see how many irresponsible drivers there are!

That kinda makes sense, and I do have a Czechoslovakian last name

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top