JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For once my spidey sense (little voices) paid off. I was thinking of putting off buying my Jericho until next month but something kept urging me to buy it a couple of weeks ago.

To get to it, first she has to remove the broomstick...:s0140:
So she keeps her holster up her....up there too?

Ask questions. Ask questions to get answers to things you don't understand. Take the mental beating that you give yourself for feeling stupid. Then ask another question.
I agree. But Id suggest skipping the beating self up or feeling stupid. We all have to start at the beginning. Others helped us. And NWFA is broad enough so that even those of us who are thoroughly familiar with some stuff are pretty ignorant about other stuff. Different folks have different expertise in different types of guns . Lots of hunters of various game. Lots who play various competitive shooting games. Many very into self defense. Many preppers. It's common for someone, including the guys by the way, to say they dont know anything about this or that and ask who can help. To not even know enough to know what questions to ask. Being cheerfully willing to admit ignorance is common here. And people are usually willing to help.

Quit turning it into politics. I was not a liberal who became a conservative after the attempted home invasion. I was simply a broke gunless experienced shooter who found out that between terms the ordinarily safe place she lived became very dangerous, dangerous enough to change my financial priorities. I spent $50, all I had, on the gun and ammo. I then had nothing to eat for three days. However, it was the right choice. Not obvious I would have lived through the second home invasion attempt. Note, another guy having chosen to break into the one occupied lit up place around, while I was wide awake and right there.

Right now many are deciding they are now less safe than they would prefer, and would prefer to have a gun. I dont think we know anything about their politics. And I wish people on this forum would quit making snotty self-congratulatory remarks about the politics and personalities of those buying their first gun now. There's nothing wrong with getting scared into buying your first gun. I did. So do lots of people.
I fully agree with this. I got my two guns now because I am scared and I need to protect my family. I got kids and pets and with how scary it is right now, I need to protect my family and home. I am not a very political person but even if someone on the other side got scared and got guns to protect themselves then good on them for being proactive. The people on the other side aren't the enemy, they're just people trying to do their best just like you are. You as in the general sense of you and not directed at any one person.

I was in a local store today to buy a pump shotgun, they did a background check that was supposed to produce a result within 15 minutes or so. They got a result that my background check is being delayed for further review or something like that. I am wondering if my reckless driving I got in 2017 is going to prevent me from buying this gun there. With that and I am on probation because of it, will that stop me from my purchase? I do not have any other issues and have concealed permits in 3 states.

Actually, that gets you much farther than you might think. If you can hit someone standing still in front of you can also hit someone moving toward you. You dont have to change your point of aim. ( Assuming short distances, such as a person 15 feet or less away and charging you. )And if they are moving in some other direction, you dont need to shoot them. Thats a bit simplistic, but not much. You put yourself between your children and the invader but behind cover so that to get at your kids the bad guy has to come toward you. Cops have to be able to shoot people fleeing in various directions. Ordinary citizens usually dont. In fact, usually cant do so legally.

That's an excellent way to look at a situation. I like it!

Some rifles and shotguns are available to take home the same day as you purchase them, handguns and other firearms you need to wait 10 days. If its a semi auto then you need to do that "class" and sign that you did it and still there is a 10 day wait.
For rifles I1639 stopped the sale of anything semi. Put the 10 day wait and you have to swear to the Dealer you passed a course. One of the supporting shops here has been offering these classes free since this went in. Sporting Systems.
Now hand guns is where there is constant confusion. The state law is 10 Business days for the dealer to get a proceed, delayed, or denied. If the dealer does not hear from the CLEO where the buyer lives in that wait time the dealer MAY, let the gun walk. Some will, many will not. So there is no 10 day guarantee unless you know the dealer and they are willing to do this. Before this last panic some were getting the OK in just a couple days. Others were delayed so long they had to run the whole thing over again as the check had expired. We bought one handgun shortly after this went in. Dealer knows us so he let the gun walk on the 10th day even though he had not gotten the proceed. Don't know how long it took for him to get the OK. Now with this great panic going again suspect a lot of shops are going to run into long delays again. It's why I warn people if you want to buy a handgun in this state now ask the dealer BEFORE you put the money down. See how they will handle it if they just do not hear from your CLEO.

I was in a local store today to buy a pump shotgun, they did a background check that was supposed to produce a result within 15 minutes or so. They got a result that my background check is being delayed for further review or something like that. I am wondering if my reckless driving I got in 2017 is going to prevent me from buying this gun there. With that and I am on probation because of it, will that stop me from my purchase? I do not have any other issues and have concealed permits in 3 states.
I have never heard of that stopping someone from buying. My guess is the system is just backed up to the point they are way behind.

Thanks for the response Alexx1401.
Should be no problem. If they did have a problem you would hear from them about your permit being no longer valid. There is going to start being a LOT of people delayed as the system is just flooded with people trying to buy now. Of course the criminals, who they claim these laws are aimed at, can still just buy anything they want any time they want.:mad:

This thread reminds me of my background checks. lol I'm currently applying for U.S. Citizenship, but since I'm not one, most of the time, my background checks seems to take an hour or two. When it's fast, still close to 30 minutes. :p
My coworker had this further review delay when he bought a handgun(I think last year). It didn't come up when he bought a shotgun couple years prior, but it ended up being something to do with sealed juvenile record from when he lived in California. I want to say it took like a week to clear up, and while he got his gun, he was getting pretty nervous that it took so long. He had forgotten all about this incident relating to the sealed record. This court being in California may have contributed to the delay, but there also was no backlog of background checks either. I wish you luck!

Wait list was nearly 1200 this morning around 11:30. I got lucky and got instant approval. I was told a couple weeks back during the Albany show that being #175 was abnormally high.

I had a transaction on March 3rd.

Left same day with a rifle, but the pistol was a wait................ I called on the 10th business day and I had not been cleared yet, they wouldnt release the gun to me at that point without authorization from the owner, who was gone until today.

Called today and I picked it up...... I didnt ask if the BGC came back or he was releasing it based on the 10 day rule.....

Either way, I got my gun so Im good to go. Its going to be a quarantine project.

Should be no problem. If they did have a problem you would hear from them about your permit being no longer valid. There is going to start being a LOT of people delayed as the system is just flooded with people trying to buy now. Of course the criminals, who they claim these laws are aimed at, can still just buy anything they want any time they want.:mad:
Who does the BGCs in WA? In Oregon its the state police. Im not sure that the sheriff even looks at them.

Who does the BGCs in WA? In Oregon its the state police. Im not sure that the sheriff even looks at them.
That is why we have such a damn mess. It's not done by any one agency. The buyer's CLEO is determined by address. Chief of Police or Sheriff. They had to set up people to do all the checks. Courts, Mental Health, Records, ect. This is why its such a damn mess. Many were starting to get better. Was hearing of some getting the Proceed in a couple days. Well now that there is a mass influx of buyers again I suspect it will be another mess. Not to mention if the CLEO up and decides they need to have all the employee's stay home? Then who is going to shuffle all those papers around. Wife just bought another handgun last week. Shop gave her a firm pick up day because the know us. So on the 10th Buis. day they let us walk.

For rifles I1639 stopped the sale of anything semi. Put the 10 day wait and you have to swear to the Dealer you passed a course. One of the supporting shops here has been offering these classes free since this went in. Sporting Systems.
Now hand guns is where there is constant confusion. The state law is 10 Business days for the dealer to get a proceed, delayed, or denied. If the dealer does not hear from the CLEO where the buyer lives in that wait time the dealer MAY, let the gun walk. Some will, many will not. So there is no 10 day guarantee unless you know the dealer and they are willing to do this. Before this last panic some were getting the OK in just a couple days. Others were delayed so long they had to run the whole thing over again as the check had expired. We bought one handgun shortly after this went in. Dealer knows us so he let the gun walk on the 10th day even though he had not gotten the proceed. Don't know how long it took for him to get the OK. Now with this great panic going again suspect a lot of shops are going to run into long delays again. It's why I warn people if you want to buy a handgun in this state now ask the dealer BEFORE you put the money down. See how they will handle it if they just do not hear from your CLEO.
The guy at the shop told me they had to just release the firearm another man purchased because the state refused to run the background check. I didn't know what that meant until just now but the dealer doesn't know me but I did go in twice for two different firearms. My 10 day wait is up on the 26th. I don't know what will happen if they don't release it to me. I suppose I will wait longer.

The guy at the shop told me they had to just release the firearm another man purchased because the state refused to run the background check. I didn't know what that meant until just now but the dealer doesn't know me but I did go in twice for two different firearms. My 10 day wait is up on the 26th. I don't know what will happen if they don't release it to me. I suppose I will wait longer.
Not really much you can do. If it happens of course being nice will go a LONG way. The dealers are in the middle of this mess. If they want your business in the future they of course do not want to make you mad. So if it gets delayed go in and ask, see what you can work out with them. Sadly with this mass panic a lot more people are going to be left waiting.

Not really much you can do. If it happens of course being nice will go a LONG way. The dealers are in the middle of this mess. If they want your business in the future they of course do not want to make you mad. So if it gets delayed go in and ask, see what you can work out with them. Sadly with this mass panic a lot more people are going to be left waiting.
Yeah I will probably call in or go in depending on what things look like on the 26th. I got the shotgun so I at least have something.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top