JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recently purchased a handgun in Oregon from a member here and because of the FFL backlog will likely have to wait 3-4 days to have the FFL transfer completed and am able to take the handgun home. I sold a shotgun back in January and the transfer took less than 20 minutes. Are others experiencing long waits here in Oregon and if so how long did you have to wait?

Talked to an FFL last night regarding a BGC for a private sale, he confirmed, at least 2,200 in the queue typical right now. He said expect at least a 48 hour wait.

ya my guy said maybe 3 days.
I just dont understand how the governments computers work as some people can jump ahead and be cleared in 15 min and others take days.

What stinks is that OR FFL's can't just use NICS directly like most of the rest of the country. It has to go through OSP, and they only have so many folks. They still use NICS, but we have to wait for the OSP folks to do the processing. It's ridiculous and, really, unfair, to OR residents. That and the damn $10 fee we pay for the *%*&@^*& privilege of using OSP to do the check.

What stinks is that OR FFL's can't just use NICS directly like most of the rest of the country. It has to go through OSP, and they only have so many folks. They still use NICS, but we have to wait for the OSP folks to do the processing. It's ridiculous and, really, unfair, to OR residents. That and the damn $10 fee we pay for the *%*&@^*& privilege of using OSP to do the check.
Most states charge more for the check. Nevada was $15 for the background check. They also had a CCW bypass. Which I miss dearly. Not sure if they do anymore. They also tax firearms like crazy down there now.

Got a call back this afternoon from my FFL transfer place and I can pickup my handgun. Did the paperwork Wednesday around noon and got the call today around 4. A little over 48 hours wait. Glad it didn't take as long as others have experienced. Now to find some .380 AUTO ammo.

Okay, this is crazy. Did a private sale transfer this morning. FFL said there were 2,313 in the queue. Entered my info just after 8:00am. Made sure he knew I had a CHL, just in case that would help, but he forewarned me it could take 2 - 2 1/2 days for a response. So I didn't expect to leave with the gun today.

No sooner had he put in my info, than the BGC came back, approved. About 3 minutes. He was shocked. I was shocked. He's got some LE's buying guns that are waiting 2 days for approvals. Was it the CHL? Hell if I know. Does that mean those 2,000+ folks in the queue don't have CHL's?? No idea.

Walked out with the gun a few minutes later :eek:

Okay, this is crazy. Did a private sale transfer this morning. FFL said there were 2,313 in the queue. Entered my info just after 8:00am. Made sure he knew I had a CHL, just in case that would help, but he forewarned me it could take 2 - 2 1/2 days for a response. So I didn't expect to leave with the gun today.

No sooner had he put in my info, than the BGC came back, approved. About 3 minutes. He was shocked. I was shocked. He's got some LE's buying guns that are waiting 2 days for approvals. Was it the CHL? Hell if I know. Does that mean those 2,000+ folks in the queue don't have CHL's?? No idea.

Can you elaborate on how you filled out the form? Did they use your ODL or CHL. Did you put your SSN number down on the form, etc? full middle name vs Initial? Did the weight and height you put down match your ID, vs actual. We all shrink over time, and get rounder in the middle, etc..

Can you elaborate on how you filled out the form? Did they use your ODL or CHL. Did you put your SSN number down on the form, etc? full middle name vs Initial? Did the weight and height you put down match your ID, vs actual. We all shrink over time, and get rounder in the middle, etc..

I did add my SS#, always do. Always give my full name, including middle. I don't know if he entered my ODL or CHL, but I gave him both. No idea on the height/weight compared to the ODL. My weight has dropped about 30lbs the past 6 months, so likely doesn't match the ODL any longer.

I did a couple backgrounds checks on 6/9 and 6/10, the ones from the 9th came through yesterday and the one from the 10th came in today. Currently the que is 2700

FWIW, I used to get instant approvals, but in the last 2 years, I have messed up traffic-wise, two red light cameras and a speeding ticket. Since then, I am always in the que, even with my unique name and CHL holding.

Just did a background check for private party transfer today at 12:30pm at A Cut Above Pawn in Beaverton and got instant approval (less then 10 minutes in the store). I thought the lady was still verifying my form and didn't even know she already ran it. I didn't get a chance to even pay yet as I was chatting with the seller. I went up to pay and she said you're done/approved.

I asked what the que was, it was at 2500+.

Whoohoo.... don't mean to bask in the glory. :)
I've never had to wait more then 15 minutes on any of my background check.
I do have an unusual name, CHL and used my SSN on the form.

If you have a CHL you get bumped to the top of the list in Oregon.

If you have a CHL you get bumped to the top of the list in Oregon.

I am aware of that, but I can't believe out of 2,300 people in the queue, that I'm the only one with a CHL. I would expect there were other CHL holders already in the list. And my CHL souls put me in line behind those that were already there.

I am aware of that, but I can't believe out of 2,300 people in the queue, that I'm the only one with a CHL. I would expect there were other CHL holders already in the list. And my CHL souls put me in line behind those that were already there.
They probably just see that your CHL is still valid so they just instant approve you.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top