JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I got a purple AR15 in my safe that says different .I can not give it to my sister unless she does a background check according to the guy at the gun range .but then again he could just want the money to do the transfer .lol not much considing they do discount for first response and MILITARY witch she is both

guy at the range is wrong, you can transfer to relatives according to 594 without transfer required at FFL. The relatives this extends to are:

(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, parents-in-law, children, siblings, siblings-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift or loan;

RCW 9.41.113: Firearm sales or transfers—Background checks—Requirements—Exceptions.

Really. Having been exposed to actual gun registration schemes yeah, really.
This is a waste of time with you but for others who are still new to this. If a gun is found at a crime the Police will often trace it back. Depends on the crime as to how far they go and how much work they put into it. If a gun is stolen and they trace it to the last owner who papered it they will show up at his home or call to ask, "hey we found your gun at xyz crime". So at that point I am sure you would tell them to pound sand since you are exempt from all laws and have red S on your PJ's. For the rest of us it will make life easier if you can tell the LEO's where the gun went. If you gave it as a gift to an immediate relative, that is (as far as I can see) OK with he new law. The Police will then go and talk to the person you gave it to and they better have the same story to match yours. Now chances of this happening are slim. For me, I would pay the transfer. For those of you with red S PJ's ignore this advice. <shrug>

This is a waste of time with you but for others who are still new to this. If a gun is found at a crime the Police will often trace it back. Depends on the crime as to how far they go and how much work they put into it. If a gun is stolen and they trace it to the last owner who papered it they will show up at his home or call to ask, "hey we found your gun at xyz crime". So at that point I am sure you would tell them to pound sand since you are exempt from all laws and have red S on your PJ's. For the rest of us it will make life easier if you can tell the LEO's where the gun went. If you gave it as a gift to an immediate relative, that is (as far as I can see) OK with he new law. The Police will then go and talk to the person you gave it to and they better have the same story to match yours. Now chances of this happening are slim. For me, I would pay the transfer. For those of you with red S PJ's ignore this advice. <shrug>

Ive had guns found at crime scenes that used to belong to me that I was the last buyer of note on the 4473. "Pound sand" might not be exactly what I told them but "get off my porch" might be closer.

Most of my guns and most of the guns in the state did not go through the current BGC scheme and are not "registered" to anyone in any way. Guns brought in from out of state, old guns, inherited guns etc. Look at California, Connecticut etc or the NFA at the federal if you want to see what real gun registration looks like. Washington' system pales in comparison.

In any event, the legal advice you get on an internet forum is probably worth less than you paid for it. You might try calling your local sheriff's office or favorite FFL.

Legal advice from a law enforcement agency is worth even less than advice from an Internet forum.

Thats a bunch of crap. Nothing gets "transferred" to anyone short of NFA in Washington. BGC's are "needed" ( forced by law ) to determine if the buyer is allowed to own the gun. Thats all. We do not have gun registration in Washington outside of the NFA .

Handguns are registered in WA. The registration database is maintained by the Department of Licensing.

No, the dealer did.

That applies only to new (or used ) handguns purchased through a dealer . I was a dealer for years and I know what your'e talking about. Anything prior to the BGC law and family transfers, inheritance etc or not registered. That could potentially be the majority of guns in the state. There is no blanket registration. In "real" registration if I move into the state fro outside the state and I have 1 or 300 guns I have to register with the state, fill out registration and licensing docs etc. I dont have to do any of that. If my brother gives me 200 guns I dont have to register or license them. If my dad dies and leaves me a truck full of guns I am not registering them. If I have 3000 private party sale guns I bought prior to 2010 they are not registered to me. We might have new gun sale reporting requirements but theres loopholes in that system big enough to drive a truck through.

Yes, I acknowledge that there are/were situations where a handgun can change ownership without registration, but the blanket statement that there is no registration in WA is also not accurate.

Yes, I acknowledge that there are/were situations where a handgun can change ownership without registration, but the blanket statement that there is no registration in WA is also not accurate.

There is no blanket registration . Look to California for examples of real Registration

In Wa there have been 2 forms you sign, one the 4473 the other is a triplicate that the dealer fills out, that is the one a copy is sent to DOL. it has been that way for handguns for a long time. I 594 also added that if you inherit a hand gun you have 60 days ( I think) to notify the DOL

As so (sadly) often happens here you are getting into an area where a few are going to argue just to argue with you. People make some statement that is wrong and then will argue with you when you tell them the sun will set tonight. It can be hilariously amusing but it also does make it harder on those who are really looking for answers. Another reason to be VERY careful taking any kind of "advice" on gun law, or any law for that matter, from places on the net where anyone can say anything.

As so (sadly) often happens here you are getting into an area where a few are going to argue just to argue with you. People make some statement that is wrong and then will argue with you when you tell them the sun will set tonight. It can be hilariously amusing but it also does make it harder on those who are really looking for answers. Another reason to be VERY careful taking any kind of "advice" on gun law, or any law for that matter, from places on the net where anyone can say anything.

Just because you feel encumbered by having a sales record sent into the state patrol when you buy a handgun doesn't mean that is a registry. None of your other guns you own are "registered" even if you want them to be which you seem to actually want. Even then its not a registry. California has a registry. Hawaii, Maryland, New York and Washington DC . Some federal jurisdictions such as the US military "members" do as well. Fill out forms for every gun you own and you'd better have them unless you have proof of disposition.

In an actual gun registration scheme, you have to fill out licensing paperwork for each and every gun you own. Every gun you own is licensed. The state records and tracks those guns. If the state police comes by your home and asks to see your registered firearms you damn well better have them. In Washington you do not have to show ownership or possession of anything you have ever purchased or acquired. That is not gun registration. If I dispose of a gun out of state I do not have to notify the state of Washington. If I buy a gun on a C&R out of state I do not have to notify the state of Washington although it is in the federal registry ( an actual registry ) . Guns Ive had for years are not in any "registry". Guns that have been given to me by close relatives are not "registered" in Washington . I can go on. If it is a registry it is the worst and most poorly thought out registry in the history of state licensing efforts. The Washington state "registry" of handguns is a records keeping affair that even the state fails to effectively maintain.

California, Hawaii, Maryland, New York and Washington DC have actual gun registration. That's it. Some others have registration of "assault weapons" . Even the NRA doesn't call Washingtons current status a registry. No one does except a few kooks on gun forums.

The sales record for pistols you fill out in Washington doesn't even get used for ATF traces. The 4473 works just fine for that. I-594 did not create any registry. It just made buying and selling guns a pain in the bubblegum.

So let me look at this, a copy of a form sent to Wa DOL to be entered into a state data system, never to be removed, that contains, the make, model, serial number, my name and address, is not registration ? OK
Definition of registration for English Language Learners

• : the act or process of entering information about something in a book or system of public records

• : the act or process of entering names on an official list

• : a document showing that something (such as a vehicle) has been officially registered

Why are we debating meaningless semantics? As Wayne and others mentioned, since 594 every purchase you make is registered. Are there loopholes? Of course. Is it as comprehensive a registration as other states? No. Will it become more comprehensive? Likely.

Regardless of the semantic quibble, the net effect is that if a state government deemed it necessary, they can consult the database to find firearms you've recently purchased and take actions based on that data--including confiscating them, like has been done in CA. In 30 years, that database is going to be extremely comprehensive.

Saying that it isn't a registry is pure cognitive dissonance. It isn't as bad as others but it is still a registry.

With respect to WA, handguns lawfully transferred are, for all intents, registered. A standardized record of every sale is kept in a centralized location accessible to the government. It may or may not be computerized but that's not the acid test for a registry.

Lawfully transferred long guns are stored in a distributed registry; the FFL's repository where 4473s are kept. A background check is but one element of a 4473, the make, model and serial number of every gun on that form is recorded and must be retained by the FFL for a certain period of time.

So, the data is there, it's just not immediately available to search.

Turning data into information is simply a matter of law, time and money; the government has an infinite supply of the last two.

Well I got a purple AR15 in my safe that says different .I can not give it to my sister unless she does a background check according to the guy at the gun range .but then again he could just want the money to do the transfer .lol not much considing they do discount for first response and MILITARY witch she is both
You can gift a firearm to an immediate family member, as long as they are not a prohibited person. I'm an FFL and I stand behind this message. So does the RCW.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top