JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello, WA resident Looking to buy a long gun from Idaho seller.

Gun will be delivered here by third party.

Can I go to the FFL ALONE to register the transfer ?

I want to do it right .
Don't understand the question but the fact thst you said gun will be delivered by third party mmmmm that means the owner gave a gun to another person to bring across state lines to be sold to you .big PROBLEMS . Basically two felonies in your O.P.

To do it right the guy selling the gun has to transfer it to the guy bringing the gun through a background check when he gets cleared then he can bring it to a FFL dealer and have it transferred to you .
You CAN NOT JUST HAND OVER A GUN ANYMORE TO SOMEONE WITH OUT A BACKGROUND CHECK.
FOR INSTANCE I CAN NOT GIVE MY LOL MY SISTER A GUN WITHOUT A BACKGROUND CHECK . because she is married and now has a different last name . even though I have known her WELL ALL MY LIFE HEHEHE HILARIOUS .
Welcome to gun control 101

To do it right the guy selling the gun has to transfer it to the guy bringing the gun through a background check when he gets cleared then he can bring it to a FFL dealer and have it transferred to you .
You CAN NOT JUST HAND OVER A GUN ANYMORE TO SOMEONE WITH OUT A BACKGROUND CHECK.
FOR INSTANCE I CAN NOT GIVE MY LOL MY SISTER A GUN WITHOUT A BACKGROUND CHECK . because she is married and now has a different last name . even though I have known her WELL ALL MY LIFE HEHEHE HILARIOUS .

I feel so much safer now.

If the Idaho seller hands said long gun to a third party Idaho resident, in Idaho, not sure if thats an issue.

Unless the receiving party is a dual state resident its still being transferred to a Washington Resident without a BGC. Minimum its an unlawful out of state transfer. Federal crime and state.

Not correct, you can give your sister a firearm - that's not a "transfer" requiring a background check. See RCW 9.41.113(4)(a). RCW 9.41.113: Firearm sales or transfers—Background checks—Requirements—Exceptions.

To the OP, I think - at a minimum - the person transporting the firearm should go to the FFL with you, so you're not both carrying in the firearm and having it transferred to yourself. In any event, the legal advice you get on an internet forum is probably worth less than you paid for it. You might try calling your local sheriff's office or favorite FFL.

Not correct, you can give your sister a firearm - that's not a "transfer" requiring a background check. See RCW 9.41.113(4)(a). RCW 9.41.113: Firearm sales or transfers—Background checks—Requirements—Exceptions.

To the OP, I think - at a minimum - the person transporting the firearm should go to the FFL with you, so you're not both carrying in the firearm and having it transferred to yourself. In any event, the legal advice you get on an internet forum is probably worth less than you paid for it. You might try calling your local sheriff's office or favorite FFL.
Well I got a purple AR15 in my safe that says different .I can not give it to my sister unless she does a background check according to the guy at the gun range .but then again he could just want the money to do the transfer .lol not much considing they do discount for first response and MILITARY witch she is both

This is the PROBLEM no body has the same awnser ask this guy he says this and that .
Ask this guy over here and he says this and not that big F@#$&+)( joke if you ask me

I wouldn't worry about any ambiguous laws that the seller may or may not be bending. If you go to a FFL, fill out a 4473 and buy a gun, you are insulated, because the gun has been transferred to the FFL, so you are buying it from them.

The only issue for the seller, is that the third party is technically being transferred a gun ,not for him, so it could be theoretically considered a straw purchase.

If you are really worried, have it shipped.

Well I got a purple AR15 in my safe that says different .I can not give it to my sister unless she does a background check according to the guy at the gun range .but then again he could just want the money to do the transfer .lol not much considing they do discount for first response and MILITARY witch she is both
Sounds like a jail house lawyer to me.............

Idaho face to face sale is OK with out going through an ffl, so I could sell a gun to another Idaho resident, at that time the Idaho resident I sold it to (rifle or pistol) could than transport it to an ffl in Washington and sell it to you via the ffl.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV however I believe what I described would be ok as long as the person delivering the gun to the ffl is at that time the owner of the gun and not simply the courier, you would be buying it from him not the original owner.

I know, clear as mud. In my opinion the better way to do it would involve Fedx or UPS.

I wouldn't worry about any ambiguous laws that the seller may or may not be bending. If you go to a FFL, fill out a 4473 and buy a gun, you are insulated.

The only issue for the seller, is that the third party is technically being transferred a gun ,not for him, so it could be theoretically considered a straw purchase.

If you are really worried, have it shipped.
That's what I'm going to do I'm going to the gun shop I always go to and just pay the money with her military first responder discount 20 BUCKs but I told her until they get better safe to keep it in it stays at my house .she has small pistol safe but nothing for a rifle

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews