Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WA Resident Buying in OR?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Reokue, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Reokue

Reokue Washington State New Member

I have been browsing the forum for an answer to my question but have not found a post that directly answered my question so here it goes.

I am a WA resident temporarily living in OR as a student. I would like to purchase another handgun. What are my options for doing so? I have read that it is illegal for a non-resident to purchase a firearm locally. So do I go to an online site and have it transferred? So I contact a WA dealer and have it transferred to an OR dealer?

Thanks in advance for the information.

-Reokue

2. riverrat373

riverrat373 Washington State Member

Ask a gun shop in Oregon. They will know or should know the answer.

3. oregonshooter

oregonshooter AMERICA Member

And nothing more.

Find a gun in Oregon you want. Take it to an Oregon FFL and have it shipped to an FFL in WA. for you to retrieve.

Next time you are home, you can bring it back with you.

Don't see any other way.

4. YFZsandrider

YFZsandrider Tacoma, Wa Member

not to hijack the thread.... but if the OP brought a gun down with him for his stay, and eventually ended up taking residence in Oregon... would he have to re-register the guns in that state?

5. oregonshooter

oregonshooter AMERICA Member

YFZsandrider,

There is no requirement to register a firearm (outside of NFA stuff) in Oregon.

6. mattg521

mattg521 portland.,or Member

It seems to me the easiest legal thing for him to do is find a gun he likes and buy it in Wa. He has every right to bring it with him when he returns to Or. does he not?

7. Trick

Trick St Helens Active Member

How long are you in Oregon? Might be worth taking residency if your in school for a few years. Might save more on sales tax then the cost of residency....if you buy enough weapons?

8. Reokue

Reokue Washington State New Member

Thank you everyone for your replies. It seems that I was misinformed about how things worked, hence the reason for asking. It is not cost effective currently to take up residency in OR. I guess that I will have to set aside a day over the weekend to go back across the border to pick up as it is several hours away.

-Reokue

9. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Please note that while the above is true for a HANDGUN, it isn't true for a LONG GUN. A WA resident can purchase a LONG GUN directly from an OR FFL.

10. bcp

bcp SW WA Member