JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which vehicle mounted CB radio should I get?

• President Electronics BILL CB Radio

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Radioddity CB-27

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Midland 1001LWX

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • President Electronics ADAMS FCC CB Radio

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know people are going to kick rocks at me for saying this,, c.b. is better than ham radio.
reasons: theres usually someone else with there c.b. radio on to talk to, where as hams are hit and miss.
Ham radios need to be programmed for each area you are going to drive to due to repeaters. other
than 146.520MHZ
although theres alot of knuckleheads on c.b they are usually more helpful about road conditions,
hazards up ahead, or other useful info than ham operaters who are for the most part sitting at home on their base stations, and not out travelling.
I enjoyed the CB very well in the 80's. It all started with a small group of people. 20 to 45 people are good size community.

Back in the early/mid 70's during the crazy CB days, I ran two 102INCH steel whips on my pickup. The Midland radio performed double duty as a base station late at nite. The D104 mic overmodulated but nobody care except the near by truckers. LOL
Had a blast with that ole Midland. You cant go wrong with one.
Just my 2cents..:D
👍Do you still have your equipment?

Made another bracket and installed it to the rear and moved the antenna. This looks 100 times better.

Tuned the antenna and everything is running smooth. Just waiting for the antenna spring and the PA speaker and that'll be that. Now just have to put the mic somewhere that's not going to be annoying.

View attachment 864578 View attachment 864579 View attachment 864580 View attachment 864581 View attachment 864582 View attachment 864583 View attachment 864584 View attachment 864587 View attachment 864588 View attachment 864589 View attachment 864590 View attachment 864591 View attachment 864592 View attachment 864593 View attachment 864594
Are you able to maintain SWR with the springs. Don't you need a tennis ball from the whip?
Nice work by the Way!

Last Edited:
Are you able to maintain SWR with the springs. Don't you need a tennis ball fro the whip?
Nice work by the Way!
Thank you. I had to adjust the tip on the antenna after the spring install to get SWR where I wanted them. I don't need a tennis ball because the spring is stiff enough and there's nothing for the antenna to hit on the vehicle. I did however move to a 3' Firestik from the original 4' one I had due to garage clearance issues. I see no change in transmitting or receiving between the two, and the 3' looks a lot less "wonky" for lack of a better word.

I reckon I'll post pics of the current set-up I have now once I get around to it.

Thank you. I had to adjust the tip on the antenna after the spring install to get SWR where I wanted them. I don't need a tennis ball because the spring is stiff enough and there's nothing for the antenna to hit on the vehicle. I did however move to a 3' Firestik from the original 4' one I had due to garage clearance issues. I see no change in transmitting or receiving between the two, and the 3' looks a lot less "wonky" for lack of a better word.

I reckon I'll post pics of the current set-up I have now once I get around to it.
Looking good and send us some more pics.
I might need to to switch my antenna bracket like yours in the back and US made too. Right now its in a very convenient location but not the best in transmission. (drivers side bedliner corner) It has the old school push down spring loaded quick release. It makes it easy for me when I go to the drive thru limit since I have a 4.5 feet Francis and a little over 3 feet on the bed liner.
I just began to realize on things like this, that I should be paying more attention in buying US made components because they will break in time due to the stress. I was going to ask if you put a weather proofing or seal in your screw-in coax cable and antenna mount?

Looking good and send us some more pics.
I might need to to switch my antenna bracket like yours in the back and US made too. Right now its in a very convenient location but not the best in transmission. (drivers side bedliner corner) It has the old school push down spring loaded quick release. It makes it easy for me when I go to the drive thru limit since I have a 4.5 feet Francis and a little over 3 feet on the bed liner.
I just began to realize on things like this, that I should be paying more attention in buying US made components because they will break in time due to the stress. I was going to ask if you put a weather proofing or seal in your screw-in coax cable and antenna mount?
As long as the top of the antenna is above the vehicle's roofline then reception should be adequate. Obviously higher the better but that can get annoying with drive-thrus, garages, trees and so on; which is why I went to a 3' from a 4'. I just use a bungee cord to hold the antenna to the side if I really need to get somewhere low, but that's rare.

I don't put anything on the screw threads because that could cause a bad connection to the antenna. I just tighten it down snug and use dielectric grease on the bolt head and around the connector. It's at the very back away from any water spray, so not it doesn't really come off or drip or anything. Then I fitted some balljoint boots over the connectors to give it more protection.

I posted pics of that on the previous page of this thread.

I reapply grease every 6 months or so or if I notice it needs it. I wipe the antenna and spring down daily so I just check for those things.

Last Edited:
Good idea on the die electric grease. I'm gonna unscrew it today, clean the connector off with electronic cleaner and put some die electric grease.
BTW. Do you know if these radios affects the new hybrid car specifically a prius? I been thinking about getting a magna-mount like K-40 antenna and use it there from time to time. I just had it on my pickup truck that I hardly use except home improvement. I was thinking about installing a pull-out slider on both vehicles for either one I drive.
If so.. what are good magnamount antennas that I can use with 120 watts from time to time?

I just saw just right now. My quick release connector is made of brass. And worst if that's not even US brass. I will consider changing this to a 304 US stainless steels parts and depending if I change mounting location.

SAM_4687.JPG SAM_4692.JPG

Made another bracket and installed it to the rear and moved the antenna. This looks 100 times better.

Tuned the antenna and everything is running smooth. Just waiting for the antenna spring and the PA speaker and that'll be that. Now just have to put the mic somewhere that's not going to be annoying.

View attachment 864578 View attachment 864579 View attachment 864580 View attachment 864581 View attachment 864582 View attachment 864583 View attachment 864584 View attachment 864587 View attachment 864588 View attachment 864589 View attachment 864590 View attachment 864591 View attachment 864592 View attachment 864593 View attachment 864594
Whow... I thought this was ready made. You fabricated the bracket yourself?

I just saw just right now. My quick release connector is made of brass. And worst if that's not even US brass. I will consider changing this to a 304 US stainless steels parts and depending if I change mounting location.

View attachment 1762251 View attachment 1762252
Actually a good mounting position. I'd go with a 3' antenna so you don't have to keep disconnecting it. I use Firestik brand products, they're USA made. They also have a quick disconnet if you want a US made one.

Good idea on the die electric grease. I'm gonna unscrew it today, clean the connector off with electronic cleaner and put some die electric grease.
BTW. Do you know if these radios affects the new hybrid car specifically a prius? I been thinking about getting a magna-mount like K-40 antenna and use it there from time to time. I just had it on my pickup truck that I hardly use except home improvement. I was thinking about installing a pull-out slider on both vehicles for either one I drive.
If so.. what are good magnamount antennas that I can use with 120 watts from time to time?
I occasionally see CB antennas on Priuses, so I don't think they'd bother either one as long as the antenna cable is decently shielded. Meaning the cable is kept as far away from anything that could interfere with it like crappy cigarette lighter plug chargers, power cables, spark plug wires, etc.

I'm not an expert on this matter, but I use Firestik, Midland and Tram brand products and they haven't failed me yet. I have a small magnet mount Tram antenna that goes to my FRS/GMRS radio, and that's been on the back roof of my Blazer for almost 2 years now and it's still fine.

I'll check on Friday and see whats available for the car antennas. Been busy at work today.
Anyways I was also looking at some base antenna too the past few months. They still make a copy of those oldies 70's base antenna. I really miss those days. With hone antenna its just clear audio. I had these 2 before. Personally I couldnt say ome is better than the other. I bought the 5/8 wave ground plane antenna for $65.00 and a 50 footer telescopic mast which I paid almost $180.00. That's a 1984 money.
I think I bough the Super Penetrator II which was a radio shack item for $42.00 that was 1982-83. The Penetartor was way better in modulation. But the farthest I went to is 220 miles. Not like the 5/8 wave.. 1,900 miles.If I had a solid kicker I would have went FAR!

Super Penetrator HF Vertical Antenna.jpg Colossal Antenna.JPG

Last Edited:
I occasionally see CB antennas on Priuses, so I don't think they'd bother either one as long as the antenna cable is decently shielded. Meaning the cable is kept as far away from anything that could interfere with it like crappy cigarette lighter plug chargers, power cables, spark plug wires, etc.

I'm not an expert on this matter, but I use Firestik, Midland and Tram brand products and they haven't failed me yet. I have a small magnet mount Tram antenna that goes to my FRS/GMRS radio, and that's been on the back roof of my Blazer for almost 2 years now and it's still fine.
I bought these for my CB:
$100 bucks for the Wilson 1000 with magnamount
$37 bucks for the Tram Cat Twin Coil CB Antenna (TCT-9)
they shipped both free. I couldn't pass it up. That Wilson 1000 should work perfect on the Prius grocery getter.

BTW: I been dreaming about this tram twin coil antenna since when I was young. Its 64 inch tall. All I need is to screw this on my pickup truck because its all set up with an excellent mounting. I just double checked it. No wonder why the power output is really good. The cable that I used was a high grade RG8 mini. I cant wait to try this tram!

image.thumb.png.074d6510b51ccf7bb39adf7b8084581b.png

I bought these for my CB:
$100 bucks for the Wilson 1000 with magnamount
$37 bucks for the Tram Cat Twin Coil CB Antenna (TCT-9)
they shipped both free. I couldn't pass it up. That Wilson 1000 should work perfect on the Prius grocery getter.

BTW: I been dreaming about this tram twin coil antenna since when I was young. Its 64 inch tall. All I need is to screw this on my pickup truck because its all set up with an excellent mounting. I just double checked it. No wonder why the power output is really good. The cable that I used was a high grade RG8 mini. I cant wait to try this tram!

View attachment 1779968
Never pass up good deals. You'll always regret it. I order everything from Amazon because the returns are easy and hassle free if I don't like the product or it doesn't work for what an intended set-up. Hope it works for you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top