JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there somebody local that can do me a favor and see if the short wave radio is working? I do not have a dipole antenna set up. Ideas? This is a 1960s era radio that was high end at the time. Ideas?

For a quick operational check, just hang at least 16 feet of wire from the antenna jack and tune across the 20 meter ham band (14 - 14.350 MHz) in late morning or afternoon. If it's working, your receiver should pick up some Morse signals and SSB conversations. At least 32 feet of wire should allow good reception on the 40 meter band (7 - 7.3 Mhz) in daytime or evenings, too.

For a quick operational check, just hang at least 16 feet of wire from the antenna jack and tune across the 20 meter ham band (14 - 14.350 MHz) in late morning or afternoon. If it's working, your receiver should pick up some Morse signals and SSB conversations. At least 32 feet of wire should allow good reception on the 40 meter band (7 - 7.3 Mhz) in daytime or evenings, too.
Great idea! What type of wire? Buy a dipole on Amazon or what else? Thx.

If you HAVE any, or can get a hold of some, get about 140' of plain ol' 75 ohm TV coax. and make a dipole out of it.

I have done this for my HF and get great reception. I don't know if it will allow me to transmit very well (as I do not have my general yet) but will try it when I do.

If you HAVE any, or can get a hold of some, get about 140' of plain ol' 75 ohm TV coax. and make a dipole out of it.

I have done this for my HF and get great reception. I don't know if it will allow me to transmit very well (as I do not have my general yet) but will try it when I do.
This is a Hallacrafters receiver. How long should the dipole be?

For just testing and receiving at least 50' but a full 140' gives the best performance for the complete range of HF frequencies.

Look up dipole antenna construction and you'll find some good info.

Great idea! What type of wire? Buy a dipole on Amazon or what else? Thx.
Just wire.

This is just a temp setup for testing your radio, so any kind of scrounged up wire will do. Baling wire. Salvaged lamp cord. CAT5 cable. Telephone wire. Bell wire. Extension cords. Welding wire. Salvaged house wiring. For this purpose, the only wrong type of wire is the type that you have to pay for.

No need for your wire to be insulated or enameled (bare wire just needs to be supported away from metal objects or ground). It doesn't have to be elevated very high, either. There are many ways to temporarily hang the wire into the air a little bit. I've used broom sticks, wooden step ladders, PVC tubing, paint poles, and even the window curtains.

Once you know your radio is working OK, then you can learn about other antennas designed specifically to be a good impedance match to your equipment, or resonant at desired operating frequencies, or polarized to suit your operating objective. Those antennas might cost you some money, but oddly enough, you can make many of those yourself, too. In fact, many highly effective antennas can be made from the same sort of wire that you scrounged up for testing your receiver.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews