JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They announced the DOE thingy at the SHOT show this year I think, and I highly doubt it'll be available as only an upper, and I predict that it'll cost north of $950 for the complete "pistol" configuration.
And "pistol" would mean brace. Pew.

What's the appeal that other ar9 thingies don't already offer?
That particular one? Retro-wackiness mainly. Not enough for me to bother though.

And "pistol" would mean brace. Pew.

That particular one? Retro-wackiness mainly. Not enough for me to bother though.
Well, they could be sold sans braces/stocks with the round pistol buffer tube... not sure if H&R offers a "brace" similar to the 3d printed AR180 site's CAR retro sharkfin braces (literally CAR stock without the shoulder plate :s0140: )

To me this is like a kid in a candy store. I LOVED the idea of the PCC from the time I was old enough to buy my own guns. For decades they were an "odd ball" item. Last couple decades suddenly the who country seems to want to make one. Sadly of course can't buy much of them here anymore but, I do have a handful of them already so that helps :D

To quote an old Ministry song, "resurrection coming in stereo"; looks like there is a DOE option now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8YB-JUGGA&t=1s
I don't know what a DOE is but that thing is massive with that long buffer tube but small pistol sized barrel. Why would someoen want a pcc that big with the small barrel? I Would rather have an mp5, mp5k, Stribog roller delayed 10mm or 9mm. Extar is already that size and is cheap and reliable.

Mp5k is probably about same size barrel but much smaller (more handy, easy to carry and conceal) and silky smooth to shoot. Mp5k clone (Sbr) next to laptop for scale:
D72FA640-D112-43FA-93F2-AA75AC41C761.jpeg
B1568ABE-07BE-435E-B4C6-E670B6F408BD.jpeg
Or reg size mp5, Stribog, evo etc woudl double the barrel length roughly and still be smaller.

Last Edited:
I don't know what a DOE is but that thing is massive with that long buffer tube. Why would someoen want a pcc that big? I Would rather have an mp5, mp5k, Stribog roller delayed 10mm or 9mm. Extar is already that size and is cheap and reliable.
Department Of Energy.
It was a Colt SMG (full auto!) With 9mm bits and pieces, special handguard, special front sight. Model was R0663 or RO663
colt-9mm-smg-variants-dubbed-doe-colts-they-were-made-for-the-department-of-energy-to-guard-nu...jpg

Edit. It was something Colt offered back in the 1980s-1990s I think?

Department Of Energy.
It was a Colt SMG (full auto!) With 9mm bits and pieces, special handguard, special front sight. Model was R0663 or RO663
View attachment 1854762

Ah I see thx. Must be a collector thing cuz there are so many excellent PCCS now.

What is amazing to me is HK has been trying to improve on the mp5 since what the 1970's? Multiple subguns were tried and governments/buyers always preferred the mp5. And other manufacturers trying to outdo it also of course. But it always rises to the top even today. Not saying sig mpx is worse cuz that's hard to argue but even after all this time it's still on the top teir.

Ah I see thx. Must be a collector thing cuz there are so many excellent PCCS now.

What is amazing to me is HK has been trying to improve on the mp5 since what the 1970's? Multiple subguns were tried and governments/buyers always preferred the mp5. And other manufacturers trying to outdo it also of course. But it always rises to the top even today. Not saying sig mpx is worse cuz that's hard to argue but even after all this time it's still on the top teir.
The Colt model beat the MP5K for the DOE contract. Didn't stop the USN SEALS from getting a whole bunch of MP5s though :s0140:

Google is failing me on their site. Was hoping they'd just offer the upper that one could slap on an SBRed lower.
They don't seem to have a website. They do have a facebook page. Fortunately, it's publicly visible. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have much AR9 content.

They don't seem to have a website. They do have a facebook page. Fortunately, it's publicly visible. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have much AR9 content.

H&R is under Palmetto State Armory, whose owner also bought Nodak Spud (NDS), and I think the Nodak guys are the ones making the retro uppers and maybe lowers too

Department Of Energy.
View attachment 1854762

I had to look that one up. 21" overall length is not bad but of course more than full size mp5, mpx, Stribog, etc. Also longer than some 5.56 offerings. Such as this 10.5" barrel 5.56 sbr beastie (although with stock unfolded would be a couple inches longer probably). But many of those are more modern guns.

Last Edited:
I had to look that one up. 21" overall length is not bad but of course more than full size mp5, mpx, Stribog, etc. Also longer than some 5.56 offerings. Such as this 10.5" barrel 5.56 beastie (although with stock unfolded would be a couple inches longer probably). But many of those are more modern guns.

View attachment 1854876
My 12" 6.5 Grendel SBR has a 27.5" OAL without muzzle device. 6.5" (edit, I can't maths today) shorter makes for a relatively compact feeling PDW, but yeah, they could be smaller still as seen on the Olympic Arms OA98 5.56 pistol DDB582A8-4E93-4FB3-8D1A-DDB242B4155D.jpeg

But... when has Colt been at the "forefront" of firearms development? :s0140:

Tough call, lots of good options out there. If I'm running a pistol-caliber primary weapon, I would want to be able to share mags with a sidearm. My top choices would be:
- Sig P320 in a x01 chassis w/ companion Sig P320 compact
- Angstad UDP9 w/ companion Glock 19
- Cx4 Storm w/ companion Beretta M9

If I didn't care about sharing mags between sidearm and primary weapon, that would change to:
- TommyBuilt TMP 45
- B&T TP9
- MKE AP5M

I don't know what a DOE is but that thing is massive with that long buffer tube but small pistol sized barrel. Why would someoen want a pcc that big with the small barrel? I Would rather have an mp5, mp5k, Stribog roller delayed 10mm or 9mm. Extar is already that size and is cheap and reliable.

Mp5k is probably about same size barrel but much smaller (more handy, easy to carry and conceal) and silky smooth to shoot.
View attachment 1854776
View attachment 1854763
Or reg size mp5, Stribog, evo etc woudl double the barrel length roughly and still be smaller.
Yep. The K model is really nice to stuff in a backpack. Plus my Gemtech can fits perfectly in a spare magazine pouch.

K Model.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads