JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I watched a couple documentaries, and some other footage, of the LA Riots. In a few cases I saw pistol caliber carbines in the hands of LEOs and private citizens. (For the grins, I found myself looking for 1980s vintage Uzi carbines as the basis of an SBR project, but then opted not to. But that is another story.)

Anyway, I figured this might be an interesting thought experiment. What would your choice be, and why, for a pistol caliber carbine for the defense of an urban residence or business? Parameters would be:

• In a pistol caliber, obviously.
  • Repeater.
  • Can be suppressed.
  • Braced pistols are allowed.
  • Pistols stamped and turned into very small rifles are fine.
  • For the grins, can be select-fire, but only real world. That would be transferable, pre-May 1986 subguns available to private citizens. (For example, an Uzi or MP5 would be realistic, while a P90 or UMP would not.)
  • Any parts or accessories are allowed, provided they are not presently banned, are available and/or relatively easy to fabricate.
Enjoy!

B&T USW.

1608951457956.jpeg
1608951484455.png

Good subject, tough call.

There are only 2 reasons I can think of to go with a PPC is the ability to use the same mags/ammo and easier to find subsonic ammo.

So some of my choices would be:
Glock AR lower 9mm or .40 with 9mm or .40 pistol
Marlin Camp 45 with 1911
Marlin Camp 9 with Beretta M9 or S&W 9mm
The older Ruger PCC that took P-series mags and a P-series 9m pistol

The idea to suppress or not is also a good one. However you would have to decide if the trade off between barrel length and performance, unless you are going with a 16" rifle with a can on the end.

Of course there is the popular "cowboy" combos of revolver and lever guns in .357, .44 mag and .45 LC.

Funny story about silenced guns though.... One night I went out to see what the dogs were barking at. Grabbed the 9mm AR with integral silencer. I could not see anything so I though I would pop off a coupe of rounds to "scare" whatever off. That does not work so well with quite guns.. :confused:

Dig it ever so much. I wonder if B&T, or their distributors, will sell SBRs to private citizens.
The sell the pistol, you can buy the actual stock and actual can to convert to semi SBR. Closest to actual select fire we can get.

I feel like a 10.5 AR in 9mm that can take glock mags would be the best choice. You can scavenge easily from both civilian and government funded forces of any kind.

If we're in dream territory a Bizon would be your ultimate shootout gun for an LA riot style defense

Hi point carbine. Cheap, pretty reliable compared to their handguns, simple, nearly disposable, can be used to loot for AR types later on :rolleyes: and you can swing it like a bat and it'll probably still work afterwards,,,, cant say the same for the plastic stock though :s0113:

Well I was BIG on these LONG before they became a "item" so of course I am all in. Currently have 6. Two I would have a hard time deciding on if I could only have one. 1st would be the Ruger new model they came out with a couple years ago. Close second would be the AR pistol with brace and 7inch tube. Both currently are kept at home for just this. The Ruger stays close at hand downstairs when we are up. The AR next to the bed in case I wake up and feel the need for something. If it was something like those riots in LA where I was defending the home from roaming scum I have another full size in 10mm that would stay close at hand too. That one I have a 1-4 Scope for to make it easier on my old eyes if I had to try to make a longer shot. By longer I mean like 50 yards or so.

I was a big bore revolver junkie way before the ar bug bit me, so pistol calibers to me is 44mag and everything between that and 500s&w. So my 450 bush and 50 wulf braced pistols fill the bill for me. If I'm in a situation where I need a weapon, I want it to be more substantial than a 9mm. Jmho.

I'd choose my CMMG Banshee MkG in .45 ACP.

11158464_01_cmmg_banshee_200_9mm_eotech_no_640.jpg

Currently using an EoTech 512 and SMG Tactical 26 round Glock 21 pattern magazines. Not sure this is the optic I will keep on the piece. I think I'd like something a bit smaller & lighter.

I've added a forearm handstop just to avoid blowing off a fingertip or two. Lastly I added a short pic rail on the front to mount a QD sling.

I am mostly over pistol calibers for any serious work with the exception of concealed carry. Rifle calibers in the same platforms are so much more effective. If it has to be suppressed I want a 458 socom with a 500gr subsonic expanding bullet.

In my current line up, I'd go with the CMMG. With some happy sticks loaded with Buffalo Bore.

Though honestly, I'm faster with the one I built for speed steel.

Everyone I think of urban concealed combat scenarios, I think of this video. Sorry this is completely off topic.

TNW Firearms has their new ASR model out

This is available in so many handgun calibers, also they have the same model in an 80% kit for less than half the price

I'm pretty happy with the set up I have. 9mm AR, green laser set to 25 yards and 900 lumen light with remote switches. 16 inch barrel, Glock lower and a dozen or so mags ranging from 17 to 33 rounds. I'll get my wife to carry the heavy stuff.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top