JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lard isn't that shelf stable
20221114_145703.jpg

Whatchoo talkin bout, Willis?

Good till end of next summer .

So I was just at the store. GHee was about a buck an ounce. No thanks. The shelf life on Lard was two years so I grabbed a bucket of lard

So I was just at the store. GHee was about a buck an ounce. No thanks. The shelf life on Lard was two years so I grabbed a bucket of lard
It can be found cheaper at Target. Lard won't taste as good, but suit yourself.

Sounds healthy. Fake-azz Kraft mac and "cheese" made with lard.

Jesus.

Churn your own butter?
When I was a Pint-sized Pocket, we would get our milk, in a gallon jar, from one of the school bus drivers....geez, when I think about that now, it doesn't seem safe to have a kids riding a bus holding glass jars.

Anyhow, some people wanted the cream skimmed off...so our family would usually buy extra cream. Fill a jar half full, shake and slosh it for about 30 minutes...and you end up with a lump of butter and some low fat milk...

And you would also end up with a lil'MTpockets whining about having to slosh the jar for 30 minutes.

Not sure if you would like the taste but Olive Oil has a very log shelf life. Advertised as about 2 years. But I used to use it as a Quenching oil in my Knifemaking and that stuff never went rancid. And keep n mind I was sticking 1500° pieces of steel into it every couple weeks.

Not sure if you would like the taste but Olive Oil has a very log shelf life. Advertised as about 2 years. But I used to use it as a Quenching oil in my Knifemaking and that stuff never went rancid. And keep n mind I was sticking 1500° pieces of steel into it every couple weeks.
I use lard as a thread cutting lube on the lathe so even after its expiration date I still have a use for it :).

When a poor college student we used mayo in our Mac and cheese. We were at a cabin duck hunting, and were not near a store. It was not bad with Tabasco sauce.

I made it again in my 40s, not nearly as good when you are a spoiled old man, but mayo packets last way longer than butter.

Haha. The HOA isn't going to allow dairy cows even in the aftermath of a nuclear war and especially then the last thing you want to be eating is strontium 90 enriched butter.
cow fat pig fat. It looks like in just a few minutes googling that lards probably a little healthier .
You're worried about which fat is healthier after a nuclear war? :s0140: :s0140: :s0140:

If a nuke hits and you're living off of boxed mac and cheese you'll be garnishing it with sautéed coyote as$hole before long just to have something different. You don't need butter for M&C anyway.

You can buy commercially canned butter, you can can it yourself or you can can mac&cheese. I just finished a plate of mac&cheese I canned, open the jar, put it on a plate, sprinkle some smoke Tabasco sauce on it, zap it for a minute or so, quick and easy hot lunch.
Ummm can mac and cheese?! Please let us in on this glorious bit of information

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR