JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a few cases of Kraft mac and cheese along with all my real food in my larder. I always figure in case of major disaster the power will be out for an extended period and I wont have a working refrigerator. No butter for my mac and cheese. Ive seen butter powder but I know it doesn't melt which sort of makes it useless. Oil makes terrible mac and cheese? Any ideas?

1668457950398.jpeg

You can buy commercially canned butter, you can can it yourself or you can can mac&cheese. I just finished a plate of mac&cheese I canned, open the jar, put it on a plate, sprinkle some smoke Tabasco sauce on it, zap it for a minute or so, quick and easy hot lunch.

I just mix the neon orange powder in there with a bit of water and call it a day. Is it good, no. But it is food and usually what I'll cook if I'm just done at the end of the day and am burnt out on ramen.

You could try ghee butter. It is made for storage at room temp. It's a little cheaper than the canned creamery butter. It is available at Walmart.com

ETA: It is a more concentrated form of fat so provides about 20% more calories than butter pound for pound.

Last Edited:
I've tried it with just some of the left over water used to boil the noodles and it isn't too bad that way. In SHTF I'd likely add the cheese powder to the pot without draining and eat and drink the whole thing.

FWIW, I tossed my expired mac and "cheese" after finding the orange powder was no longer a powder... Thought it had a longer shelf life.

As a side note, I also tossed a quantity of "expired" caned food after a can of peaches sprung a leak. What a sticky smelly mess.

I have a few cases of Kraft mac and cheese along with all my real food in my larder. I always figure in case of major disaster the power will be out for an extended period and I wont have a working refrigerator. No butter for my mac and cheese. Ive seen butter powder but I know it doesn't melt which sort of makes it useless. Oil makes terrible mac and cheese? Any ideas?
Coconut oil should work.

Butter flavored Crisco, all the Chefs in San Francisco use it for a multitude of things.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews