JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently got rid of my 30-06 and 243 to consolidate to 308 for bolt guns. Bought two Tikkas, one full size stainless and the other compact blued. 308 is cheaper and easier to load, brass is plentiful and you basically get the same ballistics as the '06 sans the longer range. Although people have been using the 308 for 1000 yard matches since it's inception.

A very pragmatic and practical move. And Tikka is certainly a lesser known but simply excellent turnbolt rifle. Legendary accuracy. I could not find one in 7.62X54R, so I settled on the relative newcomer .308.

You lost me at "got rid of". That's not really a thing is it? :D

Tikkas certainly have a following on this forum. I have never so much as held one, but when a friend of my son's asked me what mid-range priced rifle he should look into, I mentioned the Tikkas based on what I've read here. He's looking for a .30-06, but there's not much you can't do with a .308.

Tikka is never a bad choice, I run a few self. My .30/06 gets it done every time, and the wife's .243 is a tac driver with very few equals!
.308 works, it's well proven, reliable, and plenty powerful enough for most things you might hunt, the few exceptions, are not even worth discussing unless you step up in caliber/power, other wise, it's not needed!

.308 is hardly cheaper, or easier to load unless you're pinching those 10 grains of powder difference. And I'm not sure it's any easier to find than .30-06. All the same, I understand the idea you're going for and think it makes sense for certain people

OP,

Been there - done that (Consolidation, downsizing, etc.) with some of our firearms in various calibers.

My husband still shoots a beautiful, walnut/blued 30-06 classic bolt action rifle to this day. He previously owned a .308 rifle. He still shoots some other CF rifles too.

I think that in some firearms, consolidation of some calibers is a GREAT idea especially if you see what you actually SHOOT over time or IF your shooting habits change due to liking something different, terrain changes if you hunt, old age, a physical issue, etc.

Good shooting to you!

Old Lady Cate

I would think of another form of consolidation. Taking a cue from the Wild West times see to it that both your sidearm and your long gun use the same ammo. That way iffin you have to skeedaddle you will have less to carry. I know some here who have already done this :cool:

I would think of another form of consolidation. Taking a cue from the Wild West times see to it that both your sidearm and your long gun use the same ammo. That way iffin you have to skeedaddle you will have less to carry. I know some here who have already done this :cool:
I want my long guns to have a bit more oomph than my handguns. Otherwise I'd just have handguns

I've had lots of rifles over the years. the last couple or 3 were a 270, 7mm rem mag and 338 win mag. I decided the one rifle to rule them all is a 300 Win Mag. This is my 3rd 300 win mag so something keeps drawing me back to them over all the others. I will freely admit however that the correct number of guns including rifles is indeed just one more.

I have hunted with .308 most of my life in both Washington and Idaho and feel it is adequate for pretty much anything in North America as long as you know its capability.

I can not talk about everywhere but in the store I work at we have more .308 than all the other hunting rounds combined so its out there, It is also a military round so should be out there for a long time.

I think you made a good choice and Tikka is a good product as well.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top