JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Play most any shooter video game will give you many of the basics. Surprised me a few years back when my then 11 year old son knew how to operate a Thompson and an MP5.
I mean with a few exceptions most semi autos are pretty simple pull the thing that's sticking out back and pull the trigger.

".. And I know for a fact one banana clip was empty from the AK-47." - Sergeant Chitwood

Good to know the sgt. is a real gun guy :rolleyes: those full semi-auto ak's really eat through the banana clips.

Last Edited:
While it is important to wonder : "Where did they learn how to operate a AK47...?"

It is also important to consider that they showed no regard to human life.
One can harm or murder another person with most anything.
What is used for this purpose , while worth thinking about...is less of a concern to me as is the desire or willingness to harm or murder.

Why did they think that something like that should be done ?
What did they expect to have happen ?
What was the motivation behind the intent to break in , then shoot / attempt to murder ?
These questions are more on my mind , than : Where did they learn how to operate a gun ?

In any event , speaking from personal experience , someone shot by a 12- 14 year old is no less dead or wounded , than if they were shot by an adult.
Andy

It's not a stretch to believe they learned it from video games, however, I do not blame the games. Those games have ratings and spell out the content that's in them. I'm a fan of GTA, but would I let my kids have at the game? Not a chance. When I was picking up one the most recent of the series when it came out, there were parents standing in line with their 12 year-olds to pick up the game for them. A game that contains a literal mini-game torturing someone for information (that shocked even me). No, it is not the game's fault; it is the parents/adult supervisors. The lack of parental/adult supervision and guidance. The willingness to let TV and video games be the baby sitter. The fact they don't give enough of a damn about what the kids consume to spend 30 seconds looking into it before buying them whatever they want. The lack of their own personal responsibility as parents/guardians is the real failing here.

With that said, these kids did the crime and need serious, long-term help and to pay the price of their crimes. It's a shame to see such young lives wasted, but this cannot be tolerated.

Edit: For those that do not appreciate such games, that is fine. To me, it is no different than crime dramas on TV or watching something like Goodfellas. To each their own, but the ability to tell reality from fantasy is a key element and one that even quite a few adults seem to have trouble with. However, it is not a valid excuse for anyone's behavior. It's the digital equivalent of blaming the gun for the crime.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top