JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know if there is a difference in ultrasonic cleaner for jewelry and the ones made for the gun community. I see that you can get a jewelry ultrasonic cleaner for around $30 and Hornady cost around $100. I am hoping to save on the ultrasonic cleaner and buy more gun parts. :)

Its going to come down to size. You are only going to be able to get small parts into a jewelry cleaner. If that's all you are going to use it for then it would be fine. but you may have trouble getting a barrel or a metal frame into one.

Might just be a larger capacity cleaner for bigger parts like slides and BCG's. Don't think there is a functional difference.

they all do the same thing some at varing degrees

if you have a Harbor freight they have a decent size unit that works well for 86 or so bucks......it is almost identical to Lymans 2500

Functionally, no, it is as already said, size, then there is the quality on top of that.

I'm not saying the firearms stuff is higher quality, just make sure that you get one with a good emitter setup, some of the really cheap ones may have construction issues giving some inconsistency in the waves given out.

I personally dislike cleaning revolvers... Way too much work so I popped out the money on the Lyman. After running the cylinder through (10) 8 minute cycles using the Hornady cleaner for guns I figured out I could have cleaned my gun 3 times and guess what? It was still dirty!!!
It cleaned easier but at what cost?
Bag the cleaner and buy EVEN MORE GUN PARTS!;)

If only cleaning brass consider the stainless steel pin method. Best I have used yet. For brass. There are a number of them available on Midway.

Well, I went and bought the MiniMax Steam Vapor Cleaner.
http://www.minimaxcleaner.com/play/Small-Arms-Cleaning.html
I was able to demo one at the Shot Show, and was fairly impressed. I should receive it Monday and after doing a few guns I've got in for Cerakoting and other work, I'll start a thread on it and report in detail.
It's a bit different than small conventional steam cleaners, like for food service cleaning, and dental labs in that it uses a much higher pressure of at least 150-190 psi rather than the normal 45-75 psi.
It also uses very little water.

I wonder how well this would work cleaning the hard carbon deposits on suppressor baffles? That stuff is nigh impossible to remove without a ton of scrubbing.

I use my ultrasonic for range pickups, brass with encrusted dirt (and my wife's jewelry). It works well for that, but doesn't get brass nearly as clean, and certainly not as shiny, as tumbling with stainless pins.
I'm not a fan of cleaning any gun parts with water. You think you have it dry, but that little bit of moisture you don't see can ruin your day. I prefer careful disassembly and solvent cleaning. My laziness comes out in that I just don't clean my guns religiously like I used to do.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top