JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The antique threads here have gone too long without followup.....

I'm WTB a new better that Harbor Freight version, to do pistol cleaning. I see Amazon has a ton & 1/2 of models & makes.
Who has practical experience of what to avoid & what to look for?

Things I will look for in my next one:
  • A tank that is sealed to the body so I do not worry about flooding the controls when I dump it out.
  • Heat controls that will give up to 200°F
  • A configurable timer, up to 99.99 minutes
  • Stainless tank (would be awesome if it were non-magnetic).
  • Ideally 2 gallon capacity.

I have an RCBS one. It has a drain valve and hose, and stainless tank. I don't think it gets as hot as P7M13 spec'd, but it has worked fairly well for me.

I mainly use it for cleaning small parts. Have used it on suppressor baffles. Bought it with the intention of cleaning brass, which I did initially, but found I prefer wet tumbling.

I believe I bought the same "brand", but different size. It lasted a little over 3 months of occasional use, and worked well. I was happy with it, except the tank would take a while to heat up. Then, seemingly at random, it would no longer turn on. After some fiddling with a multimeter I found that the 5v DC rectifier circuit for the display/main controls had gone bad. I sourced a replacement board on Amazon and it was back up and running after wiring in the replacement.

There are YouTube videos that show the difference between inexpensive import models vs made in America ultrasonic tanks for dentists or industrial usage.
I went the latter route and bought a used tank on Ebay, it took awhile to find a tank I wanted at a good price.

I bought a lightly used Lyman Turbo Sonic 6000. Very happy with it. I like that it has a drain valve, so easy to drain and clean out. Also came with a tube if you wanted to route the drain to a nearby sink. Dirtiest thing I cleaned has been a 22LR silencer. A couple of cycles with Simple Green Extreme Aircraft works fine for me. I suggest getting something that comes with a holding basket (strainer), it makes rinsing a lot faster.

Okay because some can't tell when I'm joking.
If you want a good laugh, take a deeper look at that channel.

Seriously now, I hung a Home Depot bucket from the rafters and glued a speaker to the lid. Square waves to drive the rodents and stray birds out, Classic Rock for general purpose cleaning, Heavy metal for "heavier" deposits, and whale sounds for long term immersion.

Your musical tastes may differ; however, I am not joking. High frequency (ultrasonic) has its place, but I've found that good old low band audio just works.
use your own soup recipe and have at it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top