JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all I've got a question for 'yall. My wife and I are going to be heading to the Oregon coast for a little vacation. I've been studying Oregon's gun laws and there a little iffy to say the least. I don't have the time to apply and receive a OR. CCW permit and I see OC'ing is lawfull but cities and counties can have their own ordinances against it. We plan on visiting the coast around Seaside and Newport. Now I know better than to take someones advice over the internet and risk going to jail over it. But what areas are known to be a pain in the A$$ over it? And if anyone answers me about it, I can then call the local PD's and ask. So all your Oregonions please help if you will. Take it Slow Later,

Dennis
"Those who talk, Don't Do. Those who do, Don't Talk."

Thank you Drew! I had already read that carrying in a holster was considered OK, so I had planned to but it helps when you also confirmed it. So thanks a lot my friend.

Dennis in Idaho

Thank you Drew! I had already read that carrying in a holster was considered OK, so I had planned to but it helps when you also confirmed it. So thanks a lot my friend.

Dennis in Idaho

To expand, the most relevant statute is ORS 166.250. https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

Almost everything you want to know is related to laws (except local ordinances) that are codified in ORS 166. If you spend much time in OR, I'd look at them and related court decisions. The http://www.oregonlaws.org/ site does a decent job with court decisions.

I try to research laws in states I plan on visiting because I have no desire to be arrested due to my ignorance of their laws.

As long as the firearm is Not concealed it is legal to carry the firearm in your vehicle.

Your staement can be misleading. It has already been pointed out that in some cities and counties there are ordinances that prohibit joe citizen from open carrying a loaded firearm (even in your vehicle) without a CHL. It has also been pointed out that there are exemptions to thatas well. Best bet is to read up on the law and educate yourself rather than take advice over the internet.

Lots of good advice here and welcome to Oregon.
One tidbit I'd offer, and since you'll be driving probably along 84 is that there is a rest stop at Multnomah Falls that you should be aware of.
Per se, the rest stop is fine and dandy (you must exit from the fast lane though as it's an "island") but to get to the very nearby falls and trinket stores etc., you'll have to walk a couple blocks and through a tunnel.
There are a lot of car break-ins there.. I think what happens is a spotter from up yonder will call down to a partner(s) and do the deed with very little risk of getting caught.
Lots of tourists from all over the world with all of their vacationing goodies left in their cars hike to the top only to find their vehicle ransacked upon their return.

Multnomah County just issued a new law regulating those that do not have a CC Permit. It prohibits having a loaded magazine.

15.064 POSSESSION OF A LOADED
FIREARM IN A PUBLIC PLACE.
(A)
It is unlawful for any person in a public place, to carry a firearm upon the person, or while in a vehicle in a public place, unless all ammunition
has been removed from the chamber and from the cylinder, clip, or magazine. A person who violates this section is subject to penalty even if the person did not know that ammunition was in the cylinder, chamber, clip or magazine.
http://web.multco.us/sites/default/files/county-attorney/documents/ch15.pdf

what areas are known to be a pain in the A$$ over it?
Avoid Multnomah County...

So how does that affect me if I was carrying my weapons ( hand guns, rifles, shotguns) in cases going to / from somewhere and I do not have a CHL ??

Oregon 166.250
(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle

(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.
(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
(b) If a vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (c) of this subsection, has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and
(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.
(c) If a vehicle is a motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle or a snowmobile, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is in a locked container within or affixed to the vehicle; or
(B) The handgun is equipped with a trigger lock or other locking mechanism that prevents the discharge of the firearm.

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

Oregon 166.250
(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle

(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.
(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
(b) If a vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (c) of this subsection, has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and
(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.
(c) If a vehicle is a motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle or a snowmobile, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is in a locked container within or affixed to the vehicle; or
(B) The handgun is equipped with a trigger lock or other locking mechanism that prevents the discharge of the firearm.

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

When you quote a law, please post a link, or quote the WHOLE law.

The first thing I would like to point out about ORS 166.250 (link: ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes)

ORS 166.250 (3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

As ORS 166.250 is all about "Concealed" weapons, if you OC, ORS 166.250 means nothing to you. BTW: Oregon recognizes no other state's concealed permit for the purposes of CONCEALED carry.

HOWEVER....

The second thing I would like to point out is ORS 166.173 (the legal authority for local governments to restrict UNLICENSED loaded carry in their jurisdictions) Link: ORS 166.173 - Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes

I would like to point out ORS 166.173 (2)(c)

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:

(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.

(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370 (Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility).

(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8; 2009 c.556 §3]

There are those in OR that do not believe this (2)(c) section means what it says. But that is what the law states as concerns local restrictions under ORS 166.173.

Now, May I point out exemption (2)(d)...This exemption DOES address an Oregon CHL specifically and ONLY. It would be good to study ORS 166.360-380 Link: ORS 166.360 - Definitions for ORS 166.360 to 166.380 - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes. This section is an absolute "Need To Know" because this is where, if you do not have a CHL, it does not matter if you are OC or CC, you MUST have an OR CHL... See the sidebar on ORS 166.173 (link above)

Now, for WA law. WA does not recognize ID because ID has a provision to, and will issue to someone under 21.

However: Not a problem with someone on vacation that includes an "outdoor recreational activity". Read RCW 9.41.060(8) Link: RCW 9.41.060: Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

You may carry loaded OC or CC as you desire under this (8) exemption. (I prefer OC) Also, what is restricted in WA is in RCW 9.41.280 (schools) and RCW9.41.300 (everything else) Use earlier links.

Unlike Oregon, there are no local options you need to worry about. Just do not enter a bar that is POSTED "21 and over ONLY" and do not have a LOADED long gun in the vehicle (RCW 77... F&W anti poaching garbage)

Thank you all for your help! You've given me more reading to do than all my teachers in high school, you know back in the 1800's. LOL but seriously thanks a lot and I'm reading each and every link. I'll be doing the same for Washington because I believe we'll be heading up there also. I wish these lawmakers would use plan English, but then we wouldn't be needing lawyers now would we? It a pain but it's better than being locked up. Been there, done that and got the T-Shirt! No fun. Thanks again and I appreciate it very much.

Dennis in Idaho
"Those who talk, Don't do. Those who do, Don't Talk!"

Thank you all for your help! You've given me more reading to do than all my teachers in high school, you know back in the 1800's. LOL but seriously thanks a lot and I'm reading each and every link. I'll be doing the same for Washington because I believe we'll be heading up there also. I wish these lawmakers would use plan English, but then we wouldn't be needing lawyers now would we? It a pain but it's better than being locked up. Been there, done that and got the T-Shirt! No fun. Thanks again and I appreciate it very much.

Dennis in Idaho
"Those who talk, Don't do. Those who do, Don't Talk!"

Kudos for reading up a bit instead of taking our word at face value.

All as I can say about Oregon Gun Laws and I live here is, Do Not Conceal the weapon Do Not have it LOADED. Oregon has such a PATCH work of gun laws from city to city from county to county it is imposable to know for sure what is legal where. But unloaded and open will keep you out of most trouble.

All as I can say about Oregon Gun Laws and I live here is, Do Not Conceal the weapon Do Not have it LOADED. Oregon has such a PATCH work of gun laws from city to city from county to county it is imposable to know for sure what is legal where. But unloaded and open will keep you out of most trouble.

Unloaded and open will keep you out of any legal trouble in the state. A vast majority of the state doesn't have laws regulating loaded carry. Cities/counties can make a law restricting this and laws restricting discharging a firearm. We're not perfect but not quite a patchwork either. We have the ability to become worse though.

The loaded firearm restrictions are BS.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads