JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hypothetically speaking, what would you take traveling and living in an RV/Van, etc. across country just to travel? I am familiar with federal safe passage laws, the limitation of course there is that you can't really stop, just pass through.

So what would you take considering you'd be:

-Sometimes staying in a parking lot at Walmart or a gym.
-Sometimes stay in remote forests away from help, though would try to stay where there is cell service just in case.
-Have to leave firearms behind when hiking or backpacking, hidden in the vehicle, chained to the vehicle.
-Want to sometimes stop in unfriendly states.

Some would prefer a rifle such as an AR/AK, and I'm with you. That said, shotguns are devastating within 50 yards and combined with a simple Glock 26 with 10 round mags, are legal damn near everywhere. You could take higher capacity mags with you, and just stash them somewhere before entering unfriendly areas, picking them back up when you return.

So what would you take?

Personally I'd try to stay out of unfriendly states and just pass through to avoid even being in bubblegum hole areas.

I use a shotgun alot for work, #4 buck is what I run and what our gunners run out of the plane. It's a deadly round out to 75 yards on a small target. So a 12ga shotgun and a 9mm (glock) would be my choice.

Traveled across the country through many states on my way to Oregon with a G26 IWB riding at 4:00. I started driving when the sun rose and sequestered myself in a hotel room an hour before nightfall with the pistol on the nightstand at the ready while I slept.

Short barreled shotgun like a Mossberg Shockwave....the "s" verson takes mini shells.
Perfect for confined area such as your camper/RV.

Outside the RV...add a 1911/2011.

I would be carrying something where ever I was.

I use a shotgun alot for work, #4 buck is what I run and what our gunners run out of the plane. It's a deadly round out to 75 yards on a small target. So a 12ga shotgun and a 9mm (glock) would be my choice.
What do you do for a living where your team boards and exits a plane with shotguns? :)

Mossberg 590 "Retrograde" or the 500 "Retrograde"...
If buying new.

Remington 870 with a 20 inch or 18.5 inch...pre -buy out as well as no "express" model shotgun...
If buying used.

With that said...
I really don't have a opinion here , since I really don't worry 'bout these things...
I just like the above shotguns...:D
Andy

Personally I would just take my EDC and call it good. I also don't plan my vacations like a spec-op so…….

I'd take the same thing I carry every day….. Glock G45 or a G17. If it's good enough for me here in Oregon it will work elsewhere as well.

I would consider just a handgun as enough, with extra mags and ammo, but staying in remote areas where people show up in groups with long guns makes it less sufficient IMO.

Seems like a lot of votes for shotguns. One other consideration is they are illegal to keep loaded in a vehicle and difficult to load. Most states (WA, OR) seem to not count a loaded magazine that is not inserted in the rifle as loaded. SO it's easy to slap a magazine in and rack a round if needed.

Still mulling it over...

Difficult to load a shotgun....?
I would disagree....all it takes is snap caps and practice..

Now...if what you meant was faster ...as in a rifle or a shotgun with a detachable magazine , will be faster to load than a pump action shotgun...I'd say yes...however..
With practice...you can be fast in loading a pump action shotgun.
Andy

Last Edited:
I always wonder what kind of shootout people are thinking they may encounter. A quality EDC, an extra mag or two and a decent pocket knife should be enough for basically anything remotely survivable.

I have traveled cross country...and spent time in many remote areas...
All while "armed" with my Hawken rifle...and yet somehow survived.

Situational awareness....keeping a clean camp...and a assertive , but not confrontation attitude goes a long way here.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads