JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Your brain is your number 1.
Physical fitness is number 2.

Verbal judo is number 1.5 or 3 depending on the scenario.

After that choose whatever tools you are proficient with. Pistol, knife, flashlight, extra mags and medical.

Just remember a rifle is going to attract much more attention than a handgun. Low profile is ideal.

During your travel will you ever be leaving your vehicle unoccupied, out of sight, etc.

After that choose whatever tools you are proficient with. Pistol, knife, flashlight, extra mags and medical.

Just remember a rifle is going to attract much more attention than a handgun. Low profile is ideal.

During your travel will you ever be leaving your vehicle unoccupied, out of sight, etc.
Being in good shape and a physical "presence" makes a lot of difference between victim and no encounter. I've been told many times I'm someone people avoid on looks alone and that's just fine by me.

Being in good shape and a physical "presence" makes a lot of difference between victim and no encounter. I've been told many times I'm someone people avoid on looks alone and that's just fine by me.
your-face-is-so-ugly-it-doesn-t-even-show-up-on-meme-generator.png

Wait, do you mean the big brain….. or the "little brain"?

:s0100:

That's cuz J is not just u-g-l-y….. he's so FUGLY that he makes babies cry and thugs think twice while walking by!

;) :D :s0140:

Short barreled shotgun like a Mossberg Shockwave....the "s" version takes mini shells.
Be careful with this one. I know what they are considered federally, but they may mean 10-20 years in prison in some states. A "regular" home defense (or any for that matter) shotgun can be nice because of their effectiveness when properly deployed and typically easy compliance in most states. My loadout depends on what states I'm passing through...I'll be in four over the next few days.

I always wonder what kind of shootout people are thinking they may encounter. A quality EDC, an extra mag or two and a decent pocket knife should be enough for basically anything remotely survivable.
The problem with your premise that any survivable situation could be handled by my quality EDC and a couple extra magazines is, if this were true, I wouldn't have an excuse to buy anything else! ;)

My XD mod 2 sub compact in .45acp would be sufficient for me.

You'll probably never need a firearm in your travels. Even if you do, it'll just complicate your life if used.

Figure an alternative. Like de-escalation skillz, deterrents such as pepper-spray or other non-lethal solution, or a few classes in physical self-defense.

Not that I'm against carrying a firearm wherever you go, but in today's society, it's really more trouble than it'll likely ever be worth.

I never travel with firearms. I'd rather ship them to their destination than carry.

At the very least, get a good firearms insurance plan. If you have a gun handy, you're more likely to use it.

This is a fine example of how we need a National firearms permit VS the State-to-State nonsense we have now.

Last Edited:
Not that I'm against carrying a firearm wherever you go, but in today's society, it's really more trouble than it'll likely ever be worth.
You have a great point.

I guess I'll leave my knife at home to because I don't want to deal with the legal battle if I have to use it for self defense o_O.

This is possibly the strangest post I've read on this forum

I'd take a revolver(and/or a 1911) and probably my 870. I don't travel unarmed. Hell I don't travel locally unarmed.

Hypothetically speaking, what would you take traveling and living in an RV/Van, etc. across country just to travel? I am familiar with federal safe passage laws, the limitation of course there is that you can't really stop, just pass through.

So what would you take considering you'd be:

-Sometimes staying in a parking lot at Walmart or a gym.
-Sometimes stay in remote forests away from help, though would try to stay where there is cell service just in case.
-Have to leave firearms behind when hiking or backpacking, hidden in the vehicle, chained to the vehicle.
-Want to sometimes stop in unfriendly states.

Some would prefer a rifle such as an AR/AK, and I'm with you. That said, shotguns are devastating within 50 yards and combined with a simple Glock 26 with 10 round mags, are legal damn near everywhere. You could take higher capacity mags with you, and just stash them somewhere before entering unfriendly areas, picking them back up when you return.

So what would you take?

Personally I'd try to stay out of unfriendly states and just pass through to avoid even being in bubblegum hole areas.
If the issue about leaving gun in rv unattended were not there I would take an AR rifle or a brn-180 .223 pistol which is the same size as an mp5 with stock folded (ie damn handy but still .223).

But since the issue of leaving unattended is there, I would take a glock with USW chassis. Small enough to take with you all the time so it never has to be left unattended. Great truck gun to have at the ready beside you while driving. Easily accurate to 80-100 yards. Only thing it wouldn't cover is beyond 100 yards due to 9mm. But the chance of needing that is low imo vs the risk of leaving something unattended in the RV. That's just what I would do if it were me, may not be right for the next guy cuz everybody has different preferences.

Edit: Another oddball solution is to hide a very cheap AR and then not as big of a concern if stolen. Primary arms has Anderson lowers for $30 right now. Bear creek arsenal has complete uppers for $179 right now. Can't remember where but build compete lower build kit is $80. So that's around $300ish + transfer if you put it together yourself.

Last Edited:
I'd take a revolver(and/or a 1911) and probably my 870. I don't travel unarmed. Hell I don't travel locally unarmed.
The odds of ever needing a weapon are so small, it's barely worth considering.

Sure, there's a chance, plenty of "one offs", but in my nearly 60-years of experience dealing with antagonists, the solution is rarely armed battle.

I seldom go out without being armed, but like any other "insurance", I've never needed it. Been driving since the 70s and never once filed a claim.

More about making myself feel secure than actual security. One can avoid so many troubles by having an advanced plan.

hoskinholster00120201b.jpg

If the issue about leaving gun in rv unattended were not there I would take an AR rifle or a brn-180 .223 pistol which is the same size as an mp5 with stock folded (ie damn handy but still .223).

But since the issue of leaving unattended is there, I would take a glock with USW chassis. Small enough to take with you all the time so it never has to be left unattended. Great truck gun to have at the ready beside you while driving. Easily accurate to 80-100 yards. Only thing it wouldn't cover is beyond 100 yards due to 9mm. But the chance of needing that is low imo vs the risk of leaving something unattended in the RV. That's just what I would do if it were me, may not be right for the next guy cuz everybody has different preferences.

Edit: Another oddball solution is to hide a very cheap AR and then not as big of a concern if stolen. Primary arms has Anderson lowers for $30 right now. Bear creek arsenal has complete uppers for $179 right now. Can't remember where but build compete lower build kit is $80. So that's around $300ish + transfer if you put it together yourself.

Out of curiosity, what is the concern regarding leaving it unattended in an RV?

Out of curiosity, what is the concern regarding leaving it unattended in an RV?
Stolen #1, 0.005% chance (ha ha) it is used against you #2

I never leave a gun unattended in my vehicle personally. Even if I have my 10.5" brn-180 with me it fits easily in my sling pack and comes with me (same size as mp5 with stock folded on both).

My perspective may be influenced by PDX where they will literally break into anything without any care for police or any consequences. So I assume it will happen and plan accordingly. Went to a normal hiking spot the other day and lots of people milling around in parking lot. One car with broken window obviously someone broke in. Public parks around here also I see it a lot. Thieves literally have no fear of consequences and lots of times they are drugged out so normal "mental brakes" are not there for them.

Stolen #1, 0.005% chance (ha ha) it is used against you #2

I never leave a gun unattended in my vehicle personally. Even if I have my 10.5" brn-180 with me it fits easily in my sling pack and comes with me (same size as mp5 with stock folded on both).

My perspective may be influenced by PDX where they will literally break into anything without any care for police or any consequences. So I assume it will happen and plan accordingly. Went to a normal hiking spot the other day and lots of people milling around in parking lot. One car with broken window obviously someone broke in. Public parks around here also I see it a lot. Thieves literally have no fear of consequences and lots of times they are drugged out so normal "mental brakes" are not there for them.
True. I think you're wise in the Portland area. I have a console safe in my truck, but I avoid Portland like the plague that it is.

As far as an RV, I'm ok with leaving firearms in it, assuming it's in a safe location that isn't sketchy.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top