JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My truck gun is a 1938 Winchester model 1894 with a 16.25" barrel 6rd mag i keep 125gr Sierra FPHP's in it loaded hot. Locked in a safe not removable from the vehicle. If traveling I would also carry my Star model B 9mm with 9rd mags carrying two spares and a box of 50.Again locked in a safe. My edc would be a Charter Arms undercover in .38+p also 125gr HP and two speed loaders.

My truck gun is a 1938 Winchester model 1894 with a 16.25" barrel 6rd mag i keep 125gr Sierra FPHP's in it loaded hot. Locked in a safe not removable from the vehicle. If traveling I would also carry my Star model B 9mm with 9rd mags carrying two spares and a box of 50.Again locked in a safe. My edc would be a Charter Arms undercover in .38+p also 125gr HP and two speed loaders.
The opposite of tacticool. I like it!

Before 911 I flew a lot with either a shotgun or a lever action. neither drew any negative attn. I carried them in non-descript cases, along with other tool cases. Never had any trouble with hotels or motels either.
But I had a co worker that his cases said Ruger or Colt on the outside, and he was always getting pulled aside for closer inspection. But he also dressed like a Dirt Bag.
Currently I travel with a gun that meets the requirements in any area I might find myself in. that includes CA where I live. If I were flying home and my plane was diverted into San Francisco, my every day carry would still not ring any alarm bells.
My choice is a revolver. It can't be considered a High Cap, I carry it with Wad Cutter ammo, that also has no restrictions [ like some HP ammo does].
I'm retired now and travel in an RV but still have to fly home to take care of business, or for Dr's appointments, etc... If I leave my RV in storage, I take my gun with me.
I mostly travel in the west, and have had no issues. Even in CA if you follow the rules your camp, hotel, or motel room are considered your home and unless they are posted your gun is welcome there.
There are two things you need to know about traveling in ca with a gun[ and no CA CCW]
You cannot keep your gun in a glove box or console even if it is locked [ those two places are specifically excluded] and if you are asked by a Leo you are required to allow them to check that your guns are unloaded. This last on only comes up traveling through the SF Bay area.
Other than that without your permit to carry, your gun stays unloaded in a locked container, until you are in your camp, motel, etc...No mags that hold over 10 rounds, if you are near the SF bay area some HP ammo is restricted. Don't draw negative attn towards yourself and your gun is a non issue.
The biggest issues I have found is Indian land. You can carry your gun on the state roads and highways, but even pulling off to buy gas could be a problem. And Indian land is not well marked. DR

The odds of ever needing a weapon are so small, it's barely worth considering.
To each their own and I completely support your right to do as you wish. Some things, seatbelts, fire extinguishers and defensive tools (firearms) are rarely needed. I could have not had/used any of these three things in the past 20 years and been fine. The 20 years before that, needed them all quite a bit. It's risk management and if you are willing to choose to be a victim if they are needed. In many cases, if you are without, you simply die. Pretty simple. None of them guarantee anything other than a chance.

Bring enough ammo some states you need a FOID card to buy ammo ! I wont say which state but the Blues Brothers were from there lol
Illinois. I used to live there and coincidentally I had said foid card. Couldn't even handle a firearm at a gun store without having/showing you foid card.

Good times

Well, in 1978, I rode my motorcycle around the 4 corners of the US. I took along my 1974 Combat Commander 45. I violated New York's Sullivan Act, Massachusetts' Bartley-Fox law and probably many others. Had I been caught armed, I might still be in jail. Had this occurred in Texas, I would have received the Tourist of the Year award.

Nowadays, I carry a gun that I will not miss if it is taken as evidence.

Well, in 1978, I rode my motorcycle around the 4 corners of the US. I took along my 1974 Combat Commander 45. I violated New York's Sullivan Act, Massachusetts' Bartley-Fox law and probably many others. Had I been caught armed, I might still be in jail. Had this occurred in Texas, I would have received the Tourist of the Year award.

What make/model bike did you ride?

Balls. You has them....

Ruger LC9S Pro with at least three magazines. LOL! It's what I have been carrying for years. It's compact enough to go in my jeans pocket and I shoot it very well. I have shot hundreds of rounds through it and it's been flawless.

Ruger LC9S Pro with at least three magazines. LOL! It's what I have been carrying for years. It's compact enough to go in my jeans pocket and I shoot it very well. I have shot hundreds of rounds through it and it's been flawless.
They are nice, however the triggers are a little too light for my liking. As EDC. We've carried the standard LC9S comfortably.

Just pointing such out to folks whom may not be as experienced as yourself is all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top