JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't know WA had a waiting period until I read it here. Surprised me so I did some more looking... some legal sites say 5 days.
Another one said this:
"While not a mandatory waiting period, Washington allows five days to complete a background check on a prospective handgun purchaser prior to delivery of the handgun. See Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 9.41.090(1)"
"Last updated November 14, 2017."

That's the most recent info I could find.

I am surprised that was "updated" 11/14/17 because it's really outdated information. The waiting period is now in RCW 9.41.092 and it's ten days (assuming no CPL). This was increased from five days under I-594 in 2014/2015.

I am surprised that was "updated" 11/14/17 because it's really outdated information. The waiting period is now in RCW 9.41.092 and it's ten days (assuming no CPL). This was increased from five days under I-594 in 2014/2015.

I glanced at this earlier. Like almost anytime I read any of the RCW "stuff" I end up being less sure about something than before I read it. :)
Is this like with the Federal check, in that if they (State) don't get back to the dealer in the 10 businesses days the shop can then just go ahead and let the gun go? Reason I asked was I was shocked when one co worker went to LGS cash in hand wanting a pistol. They asked about CPL, he had done the work and was just waiting. The sent him away. Saying it was taking a month or so to get the OK now and they didn't like dealing with angered buyers who paid then could not get the pistol. So told him just come back after the CPL came through. I have just always had the CPL so never dealt with this. So was the shop just choosing to wait out of concern even though they "could release the guns" ? I have heard of this with the Federal check where if they delay you the shop can let you have the gun after the wait but some are afraid to? When they guy came to work telling me what had happened I told him I had never heard of it so had no idea what was going on. This was late last year before the election when the full on panic was going on.

It's like with the feds, earlier of when the background check is finished or ten business days (except under federal law, it's three business days). If no response within ten days (or three), dealer may transfer the firearm but does not have to (and you're right, many won't).

Perhaps this particular dealer doesn't transfer a firearm without a hard proceed, hence why your friend got sent away. Either case, everyone should just get the CPL before buying to make things easier.

It's like with the feds, earlier of when the background check is finished or ten business days (except under federal law, it's three business days). If no response within ten days (or three), dealer may transfer the firearm but does not have to (and you're right, many won't).

Perhaps this particular dealer doesn't transfer a firearm without a hard proceed, hence why your friend got sent away. Either case, everyone should just get the CPL before buying to make things easier.

Thanks after reading the WA RCW I "kind of thought" that's what it was saying. Reading legalize though often leaves me feel like when a good politician gets done speaking. Like WTF did it just say? :)
I figured that the shop was just not going to release to a non CPL until the CLEO got back to them, which at that time was taking several weeks. This same shop is the one who "lost" that AR the DC snipers used which got them a lot of unwanted press. Not the same guy who has the FFL anymore but same shop. Guess the new owner does not want to risk letting a gun go only to have them later come to him saying no, the person can't have it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top