JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey there. I have done so few transfers I am unsure about this.

If I meet a buyer at an FFL dealer and do a legal transfer, and he is a WA resident but does NOT have a CPL, will he be subject to a wait period before he can take the handgun home? If so, how long is it?

Thanks

Without the CPL there will be a waiting period. It's been too long since I had to mess with that so don't remember how long. Contact the FFL and they'll be able to tell you.

This was the reason I got my CPL in WA in the first place. Cash and carry (when I was a WA resident).

Depends on the county processing it. It only took two days in skamania county. I would say 3 to 5 days. The sheriffs office has 72 hours to process the paperwork for release.

Last Edited:
I figured there is a wait. I'm wondering if it's 3, 5 or 10 days.

It "used to be" 5 days BUT, and here is the huge but. The point was the buyers CLEO has to be notified. This has been around here since I was a kid. The problem is the CLEO of course does not actually have time to do this. Some person working in an office does this. During the last great panic one co worker went to a LGS to buy. Did not have his CPL but had put in for it. They sent him away. Told him wait till you get the CPL. At that time it was taking a month or more to get the OK from the CLEO because of the backlog. So now panic is over but it's still a crap shoot as to how long. Buyer here would have to be OK with paying for gun and intending to leave it at the FFL. Then wait till the CLEO buys off. Well worth getting a CPL here even if you have no intention of caring for just this reason.

Depends on the county processing it. It only took two days in skamania county. I would say 3 to 5 days. The sheriffs office has 72 hours to process the paperwork for release.
Are you sure about that? It sounds like you may be confusing the Federal check. They have a allotted time and then dealer is supposedly OK to release. I have never heard they changed that on the State level. If so when? During the great panic here in Pierce County it was taking a month or better.

I did it about three months ago. They have 72 to release the firearm to the buyer. I had my sig from a private purchase at a ffl dealer and it was cleared in two days.

Hey JB,

I go through Jeff at Sound Loan in Everett and I got the straight skinny on the topic from him. Without the CPL a person will wait 5-7 business days before he get's a proceed.

In a private party transfer like the one you've described, he (Sound Loan) will hold the firearm until the proceed is received.

However, if you have further questions, Jeff is one of the best people in the world to deal with. I would call him at (425) 252-2222 and I know he or his very competent staff would be happy to answer any questions or put any concerns to rest. The staff at Sound Loan are the friendliest, most trustworthy people I know when it comes to this stuff.

Last Edited:
5 business days is what I am told every time I buy a gun from a store but a private transfer could be different like he said above they may wait for a response from ATF when I buy a hand gun because I live in ANACORTES WA they have to contact the ANACORTES P.D. to proceed . Ok sorry that might be wrong I bought a gun from a store that was in the city limits of ANACORTES THEY HAD TO CONTACT THE CITY P.D. when I buy them in Burlington they go through BATF AND I WAIT 5 business days like someone said all CITYs and county's are different

Last Edited:
A CPL is not a guarantee of same day service. I get delayed sometimes, other times I get the green light on the spot. I'm almost 50 and I don't mind waiting as much as I used to.

A CPL is not a guarantee of same day service. I get delayed sometimes, other times I get the green light on the spot. I'm almost 50 and I don't mind waiting as much as I used to.
I was just going to say that but I had to edit my other post lol I used to duck hunt with a KING COUNTY SHERIFF didn't need a CPL but had one anyway he told me it doesn't mean you will get your gun same day

I get delay every time no matter what two days was the shortest I waited all others 5 business days it's also up to the FFL they can wait till they get a response from ATF or after 5 business days if they have not got a definite DO NOT PROCEED they can give you the gun .I went round and round with a sporting goods store years ago about a shotgun that I waited over 30 days before I just cancelled it and went to SKAGIT ARMS had my shotgun in 5 business days.now I pretty much only deal with them

All the same waiting periods that apply to a purchase from a dealer apply to a purchase from a private party. RCW 9.41.113(3)(a): "The seller or transferor shall deliver the firearm to a licensed dealer to process the sale or transfer as if it is selling or transferring the firearm from its inventory to the purchaser or transferee . . . ."

I did it about three months ago. They have 72 to release the firearm to the buyer. I had my sig from a private purchase at a ffl dealer and it was cleared in two days.

Again I think we are getting into people who forget there is state law and federal law. When you say "They have 72 to release the firearm to the buyer" who is "they"? Are you talking about the "federal insta check"? Unless something has recently changed that has nothing to do with WA state law. The law for WA state is the CLEO has to buy off if you do not have a CPL. If you have a CPL (this is a state card not federal) then that by passes the CLEO sign off. If you have a CPL then it's just a matter of getting the OK from the Federal insta check. Which if delayed the dealer MAY release the gun if they do not hear back after 72 hours and do NOT get a denied. Now again unless something has recently changed even on the Federal level there is no law that the FFL is required to give you the gun after 72 hours. If this has changed It would be great to see this in citation form, as in a link to the law that has recently changed. Again this is in WA State, and for hand guns.

Again I think we are getting into people who forget there is state law and federal law. When you say "They have 72 to release the firearm to the buyer" who is "they"? Are you talking about the "federal insta check"? Unless something has recently changed that has nothing to do with WA state law. The law for WA state is the CLEO has to buy off if you do not have a CPL. If you have a CPL (this is a state card not federal) then that by passes the CLEO sign off. If you have a CPL then it's just a matter of getting the OK from the Federal insta check. Which if delayed the dealer MAY release the gun if they do not hear back after 72 hours and do NOT get a denied. Now again unless something has recently changed even on the Federal level there is no law that the FFL is required to give you the gun after 72 hours. If this has changed It would be great to see this in citation form, as in a link to the law that has recently changed. Again this is in WA State, and for hand guns.
That's what I said above the FFL does not have to give it to you if they want they can wait until they hear back from the Fed and they can always say nope I will not sale you a gun at all if they think something if fishing

That's what I said above the FFL does not have to give it to you if they want they can wait until they hear back from the Fed and they can always say nope I will not sale you a gun at all if they think something if fishing

I figured nothing has changed here but we see this a lot here. Someone will post something like I was responding too. "They" must release the gun after 72 hours" People who say something like that probably "think" that's the way it is. First time they get delayed they may be shocked to find that is not how it works. Same with the hand gun laws in WA State. Many have had a CPL so long they seem to have forgotten we have a state mandated check on hand guns here. It's done by the buyers CLEO. Now if buyer has CPL this is waved. If buyer does not then buyer has to not only pass the Federal check, they have to wait for the CLEO to buy off. During the last great panic a hell of a lot of people who ran out to buy a hand gun found this out the hard way. When the CLEO system got bogged down the wait got to around a month here in this county. You could walk in and pass the Federal check and the shop still could not let you have your hand gun until they heard back from the CLEO. This is another great example of laws get passed and many have no clue since they just don't pay attention. Until it effects them. Remember when the Federal check on all guns went in? That first Christmas stores were full of people trying to buy a .22 for someone for Christmas who were shocked to find there was a "new law" that they could not just go in, pay for a .22 rifle and walk out. They had no idea a new law was passed. Until it effected them.

I didn't know WA had a waiting period until I read it here. Surprised me so I did some more looking... some legal sites say 5 days.
Another one said this:
"While not a mandatory waiting period, Washington allows five days to complete a background check on a prospective handgun purchaser prior to delivery of the handgun. See Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 9.41.090(1)"
"Last updated November 14, 2017."

That's the most recent info I could find.

I didn't know WA had a waiting period until I read it here. Surprised me so I did some more looking... some legal sites say 5 days.
Another one said this:
"While not a mandatory waiting period, Washington allows five days to complete a background check on a prospective handgun purchaser prior to delivery of the handgun. See Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 9.41.090(1)"
"Last updated November 14, 2017."

That's the most recent info I could find.

Been like that here since before I was old enough to buy a hand gun and yet a LOT of people here have no idea. Until they go to buy one.Many times have had someone who lived here for decades and had no idea. When one would decide they thought they wanted a hand gun and would ask me, first thing I would say is get a permit. Many did not wish to carry. I said get it anyway. Just makes the whole thing easier.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top