JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

After a bit of advice from those who are sure of their facts regarding transfer of firearms from California to Washington.

My father in law wants to gift both myself and wife some firearms when we visit him shortly. I think it may be a bolt action, a M1A and a handgun (or two).

My question is can I LEGALLY bring them back with us or do I need to have them shipped to a FFL here in WA?

Many thanks.

If you want to do it legally then the CA resident must deliver the guns to a WA FFL dealer for transfer to the WA resident recipient.

CA does not allow non-CA residents to take possession of firearms from a CA FFL dealer, so even the rifle must be transferred at a WA FFL.

Might the rifles be transferred to a WA resident at an FFL in OR, NV, or AZ, if the father-in-law is close to a border?

Bruce

No not close to the border with OR however thanks for the info, guess they won't be coming back with me, at least I have a reasonably priced FFL here I deal with.

I'm not as familiar with KA laws, but my understanding is that it would in fact have to be treated as a non-familial transfer since you are not a KA resident. I'm not even sure the FIL to you would qualify since they dont allow transfers between stepchildren/partents, brother/sisters, aunts/uncles or cousins. Maybe, but I would think it would have to go to your wife, instead.

Even if it qualified for a non FFL transfer, an intra-familial handgun transaction report (and fee) is required on the handgun. Kinda kills any gray area that "may" exist, anyway.

Keeping it legal means treating it as a non-familial FFL to FFL out of state transfer.

Simple solution... SAVE YOUR FAMILY!! Get them out of KA before it's sucked into the depths of the Pacific~!! :s0155:🤣

If you want to do it legally then the CA resident must deliver the guns to a WA FFL dealer for transfer to the WA resident recipient.

CA does not allow non-CA residents to take possession of firearms from a CA FFL dealer, so even the rifle must be transferred at a WA FFL.
Here also is an application of Federal law - which does not care about 'family' at all.

Feds require transfers between residents of different states to use an FFL, and for handguns, an FFL in the state of residence of the receiver.

18 USC 922 (a)(3) and (a)(5) - and violation is a $10K fine and 5 years in Federal prison for everyone involved.

Law since 1968; hardly anyone knows about it. You get to judge the risk of being detected and prosecuted.

Here also is an application of Federal law - which does not care about 'family' at all.

Feds require transfers between residents of different states to use an FFL, and for handguns, an FFL in the state of residence of the receiver.

18 USC 922 (a)(3) and (a)(5) - and violation is a $10K fine and 5 years in Federal prison for everyone involved.

Law since 1968; hardly anyone knows about it. You get to judge the risk of being detected and prosecuted.
Yup.. and KA makes it even more henious by requiring you to report a family trasfers to the authorities. Not even considering the extremely limited "immediate family" associations you can actually gift/transfer to.

Can't even do it between siblings?? I mean.. come on!! From the same blood and womb aint close enough to be considered "immediately family" in KA.... :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top