JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It never hurts to check and see if a gun is loaded ...
I agree - several years ago I am helping a friend move his daughter and SIL - I am handed some guns of which one is a break open SS shotgun - live 12 ga round in it. Sometime later my friend drops a holstered 1911 - loaded mag and a round in the chamber - then he gets POd at me for bringing this up! I left....

It may seem that way from an individual perspective, but as a nation we are getting safer and safer.
NRA-ILA | Firearm Safety in America 2013
This is why it irks me so much when politicians use phrases like "gun violence epidemic". Or one of the reasons anyway.

It's also blasted by the liberal media and politicians by the second.
Perception is everything, and facts just don't matter.

The more you hear about this stuff and the more the media glorifies these stories the more it seems to be happening every second.
But the reality is far different.

A few weeks ago, my daughter chastised me for sweeping her with a gun. "You never point a gun at another person!" Looks like my training is taking in that little 10-year-old mind :)

Now, before the rest of you chastise me for sweeping my daughter, this is the gun I swept her with - it wasn't loaded:

IMG_8803.jpg

I don't know if my daughter will care much about guns when she gets older, but she will damn well know how to handle them safely and what to do around others that don't.

Recently she was at a friend's house. Her friend (9) wanted to show my daughter her father's guns. My daughter immediately told her no, we don't do that, and they left the room. The guns were safely locked in a safe, so no worries there. My wife informed her parents about what happened. They apologized and were thankful for telling them, and they went back to reinforce gun safety with her again. When I asked my daughter what she would have done if her friend had gotten to a gun, she said "I would have left the room and found her parents right away". Makes me feel good to see it sinking in.

A few weeks ago, my daughter chastised me for sweeping her with a gun. "You never point a gun at another person!" Looks like my training is taking in that little 10-year-old mind :)

Now, before the rest of you chastise me for sweeping my daughter, this is the gun I swept her with - it wasn't loaded:

View attachment 368925

I don't know if my daughter will care much about guns when she gets older, but she will damn well know how to handle them safely and what to do around others that don't.

Recently she was at a friend's house. Her friend (9) wanted to show my daughter her father's guns. My daughter immediately told her no, we don't do that, and they left the room. The guns were safely locked in a safe, so no worries there. My wife informed her parents about what happened. They apologized and were thankful for telling them, and they went back to reinforce gun safety with her again. When I asked my daughter what she would have done if her friend had gotten to a gun, she said "I would have left the room and found her parents right away". Makes me feel good to see it sinking in.

Wish I could like that more than once. There are not enough stories out there of good gun owners and them teaching it to there children. This makes me smile :)

Whenever someone hands me a firearm at a gun shop I will drop the mag, open the action and check it again, even after watching the salesman do it. They probably think I'm an OCD a*hole but it's a habit and I will never stop doing it.

I will probably get flamed for saying this, but you cannot teach maturity. I'm glad people teach their kids gun safety, however, discernment only comes from age and life experience. My oldest step-daughter was a fantastic student driver, and passed her driver's test with a near perfect score. However, she still managed to get a speeding ticket and total her first car within 12 months of being licensed. She was not a bad kid, she just makes bad decisions, like a lot of young people do. A bad decision with a firearm could be your last decision.

View attachment 368925

Eddie Eagle would be proud.

I am shocked that the article did not mention the model, brand, or even caliber of the gun. It's poor journalism. I am very curious about the details and I guess I will never find out. I guess it kind of pisses me off because the article doesn't condemn the behavior. Anti gun people see this kind of media and they pat themselves on the back for being good people and not putting themselves and loved ones in danger meanwhile we all know the real statistics and how safety oriented all of us in the gun world are.

It is a tragedy and I hate that it happened. :(

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads