JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What a complete tragedy. This is heartbraking.
But as always totally preventable

Tennessee teen accidentally kills girlfriend with a gun he received as a graduation gift Tennessee teen accidentally kills girlfriend with a gun he received as a graduation gift

?... why would the father of this girl ever buy a gun for his daughters boyfriend?? what was he thinking? if he was set on giving him a gun, why not at least enroll him in a safety course to ensure he has some fundamentals of handling a firearm before doing so.

I dont know how he's going to live this down" knowing he was the one who provided the weapon that ultimately was used to kill his own daughter.

I know there are responsible 18 year olds but there is no substitute for training and experience.

Yep - I can't agree more - many years ago I was kind of getting to know a new co worker and was at his house and of course we were discussing guns and he brought out a few of his to show me, he handed me a .38 snub to which I IMMEDIATELY opened and saw it loaded and ejected the rounds - his first words were 'You are now a shooting friend of mine' - he admitted handing it to me loaded and watching my actions carefully....

My response would have been, "Yeah and you're not! C'Ya!!!"

?... why would the father of this girl ever buy a gun for his daughters boyfriend?? what was he thinking? if he was set on giving him a gun, why not at least enroll him in a safety course to ensure he has some fundamentals of handling a firearm before doing so.

Lots of assumptions by many posters here. The article does not mention that he had no firearms training. We are assuming that. The article doesn't say that the girls father did not know what the level of the kids safety habits were. The article did not say that the father handed the kid a loaded gun. It did not even mention that the shooting happened the same day.

I'll say this, I have given rifles, shotguns, and handguns to my kids, my stepkids, their spouses, my grandkids, my daughter's boyfriend before they were married, etc... I knew these people, knew they were familiar with firearms safety. Didn't feel the need to enroll any of them in a safety class (yeah, that would have gone over real well). Does any of that mean that they couldn't have a brain fart and injure or kill someone, even a family member? NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been swept with a firearm by highly trained individuals during handgun competitions; I have seen such individuals injure themselves during a draw or reholster incident on Youtube.

Firearm safety is where it starts, but if one thinks firearms training will prevent gun mishandling, one is sadly mistaken. Moral of the story is: anyone can be hurt by anything at anytime. Be vigilant, be defensive, be ready, be in the moment, pay attention, never let your attention wander. Teach those in your circle to be the same. Allow nobody in your circle that cannot, will not comply.

Moral of the story is: anyone can be hurt by anything at anytime. Be vigilant, be defensive, be ready, be in the moment, pay attention, never let your attention wander. Teach those in your circle to be the same. Allow nobody in your circle that cannot, will not comply.
Well stated and pretty much sums it up. Its amazing what I have witnessed (in the arena of gun safety) from those who were supposedly 'experienced' in gun handling.

Experience in anything still allows for stupid human error. We are all guilty if human stupidity, it keeps life interesting. On the other hand there are just purely avoidable situations like these that show pure disregard for human life and basic safety. I showed my 11 year old the article and his first comment was, "Why was it loaded if he's showing it to someone?" Mind you that's coming from an 11 year old that I just caught eating a booger. An 18 year old can't think of this and he was given a gun? Probably has a kick a*s expensive car in the driveway too loaded down with phone chargers so he can always have full battery for texting and driving.. Dip Sh*t.....

Yeah we have to remember this is TN, these oarts of the country guns are a part of your life and up bringing.
This was probably just an average gift for down there, and the closest thing you can say happened is complacency.
The kid was probably around firearms since he was a small child. Hunting, fishing, etc.
but like too many they get complacent and forget the basic rules.

But in the end it's his parents fault and the fault of the GFs father for not constantly beating in his heads the basic rules of firearms.

Yep - My sentiments exactly - Unfortunately it has been my observation gun safety has not followed the increased interest in guns and shooting over the last 20 years or so.
It may seem that way from an individual perspective, but as a nation we are getting safer and safer.
NRA-ILA | Firearm Safety in America 2013
This is why it irks me so much when politicians use phrases like "gun violence epidemic". Or one of the reasons anyway.

NO matter how you look at this its sad!! Both parties in my book had something to do with this. The dad shouldn't have handed him a loaded gun and the kid didn't check and follow the four rules. Plain and simple tragedy all the way around.

As a gun owner you can NOT get complacent!!

It may seem that way from an individual perspective, but as a nation we are getting safer and safer.
NRA-ILA | Firearm Safety in America 2013
This is why it irks me so much when politicians use phrases like "gun violence epidemic". Or one of the reasons anyway.

That is because suicides by gun is counted by anti-gun politicians as well as so it give a higher number gun deaths as opposed to listing them separately.

Not really related but...
I worked at a pawn shop for a bit ... a there was a space of time where we found several of the .22 rifles on the rack on the sales floor loaded.
Not to forget the countless times that someone who wanted to get a loan or sell their gun and gave me grief as I cleared the "unloaded" gun and had cartridges eject or needed removing....

Edit to add:
It never hurts to check and see if a gun is loaded ... But it may hurt or worse if you don't...
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews