JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/feb/24/activists-fight-tennessee-proposal-make-gun-owners/

"...redefines "law enforcement officer" under Title 39 of the Tennessee Code Annotated to include private citizens who pay $100 and take an eight-hour written and live-fire handgun safety test. """

" ... would allow citizens with a valid enhanced handgun carry permit to bring their guns into most public places regardless of other laws or rules, ..."

"While the bill would include 'enhanced handgun carry permit holders' within the definition 'law enforcement officers,' it does so only with respect to a specific legal provision regarding the public carry of firearms. It doesn't formally deputize the enhanced permit holders as sworn peace officers, expand their rights to threaten and use deadly force or otherwise give them any authority to enforce laws and engage in police functions for the state."

I think the intent was to permit some carriers to have access to places like schools that they do not now. That part might be a good outcome, but redefining LEO, I can't agree with.

They are not redefining it generally. Maybe there was opposition to making the change the precise way, so they are proposing this clumsy method to make a point?

I have mixed opinion of this as I do not live in TN.
But here in the north west crime is a daily thing now , criminals run free and leadership is on the criminals side
finding a LEO in the time of need is wishful thinking in the north west and my recent experience in Wa State the LEO's are mandated to treat criminal's with respect and equal as the law abiding citizen. Since crime is spreading out of control and LEO's have been targeted by attacks and hate perhaps TN is trying to equal to field a bit.
Sometimes both LEO's and Civilians need an immediate response to save their or another's life and a good guy with a gun at the right place at the right time could safe a life.

I live in Tennessee now. Recently moved from Oregon.

I don't like it. Seems like a way to sneak up on my constitutional carry. Right now TN has no method for keeping track of me or my guns. Who wants to be in a new database?

Up to you.

If they are trying to preempt local gun restrictions, they're going about it all wrong. They had to know this would rile up the opposition bigtime. How about constitutional carry instead?

If a property owner wants to deny you entry, I don't care what their reason is, it's their right. Unless they are somehow using that right to cause me direct harm, it's not the state's business to tell them they have to let people on their property.

If this is some way around restrictions on police powers, it's just barely less stupid than the defund the police movement was, just in the opposite direction.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews