JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In your experience, when a dealer ships a gun to you, or, your FFL, a gun they sold to you, not a transfer, do they include a receipt, or bill of sale with the firearm?
Best,
Gary

Generally yes, when my FFL receives a gun shipped from a dealer I purchased from, there is a receipt enclosed. Sometimes the receipt is emailed and not included with the firearm though. Depends on what dealer is is coming from.

In your experience, when a dealer ships a gun to you, or, your FFL, a gun they sold to you, not a transfer, do they include a receipt, or bill of sale with the firearm?
Best,
Gary
Every long distance buyer I've purchased from has always sent a physical receipt with the firearm to my ffl. I usually have an email copy from the time of purchase, but the physical copy stays with the firearm in transit. I don't know if that's because of legalities or courtesy, but that's how it's been in my experience. If you're missing a bill of sale or receipt, contact the seller.

I don't believe the receiving ffl takes any part in the sale transaction, collecting payments, or reporting tax. That burden is on the seller. The ffl just facilitates the bgc and transfer.

IMG_3784.jpeg

Oh wow, so you have to pay sales tax at point of sale and then pay additional use tax at the time of transfer?!
I did some digging because I didn't understand the tax implications. As I understand it now, if the seller has already charged and remitted the sales tax at the point of sale, in the correct amount, then the dealer does not collect use tax. If there is no sales tax stated on the receipt, or a difference between the tax amount collected and the actual tax amount owed, then the dealer connects and remits the use tax. I'm just talking to myself at this point, because you guys already knew that. But for my own clarification, I had to get that out of my system. Either way, the receipt should have been included in the shipment, and you should contact the seller.

My online buying experience is limited to Gunbroker. With those transactions, it's always been possible to download a receipt from my account.

In Wash.state, the words "use tax" and "sales tax" are names for the same thing. It's one of those distinctions without a difference. It's called a use tax when it involves goods for which no sales tax has been collected. Such as firearms coming in from out of state. It's also called a use tax then a purchase price has been paid to someone who isn't set up to remit sales tax to the state, like a private party car sale. But the amount is the same, you pay one or the other, not both, as previously mentioned.

From the standpoint of Wash. state, the important thing is: Payment of the tax is due by law no matter what the circumstances of the sale may be. For example, if you buy something at a garage sale, technically, use tax is due. But not often paid, in this instance. Due to lack of control. But I can tell you that when I used to sell at the Puget Park Swap Meet years and years ago, the operator of the drive in would give you a state sales tax remittance form when you paid your stall fee. When you left, you were to report your sales and remit the tax that, in theory, you collected from swap meet buyers. They kept a copy of the form in the swap meet office; I suppose if you took off without paying, the office would send the unpaid forms to the Dept. of Revenue and the possibility of follow up was there. It was amazing how many people would have bad days at the swap meet with very low sales amounts. The old gal in the office didn't bad an eye when you handed over 25 or 30 cents tax collected for remittance to the state.

If you buy an expensive piece of art while on vacation in Europe, or a valuable collector car from an Arizona auction, use tax is due. Like a valuable painting, for example. It can turn into real money on big ticket items. Or $100K new pickup trucks. In my county, around 10%, so for the pickup, $10K in tax due. My son is looking at a new car for his wife, I think around $50K. But he's looking for the car she wants in the next county up, where sales tax is 8.6%. By crossing a county line to buy the new car, he can save $700.

It's all a racket; now we have the carbon capture indirect tax on fuel, about 50 additional cents on the gallon. And, by the admission of the policy makers who brought it into being, it's designed to go up continually over time to discourage our use of fossil fuels.

When buying a firearm online:

If you are a WA resident and have your "WA legal" long gun shipped to an Oregon FFL, then no tax will be collected by the Oregon FFL. It will be up to the WA resident to pay the tax (honor system).

Check with the receiving FFL first to make sure they will handle a long gun transfer for WA residents. Tigard Pawn 4 More will do this and I am sure there are others.

Oh wow, so you have to pay sales tax at point of sale and then pay additional use tax at the time of transfer?!
I have also been charged sales tax when receiving a rifle that was a straight across trade....
Stupid law....That and the $50 processing fee the local FFL extorts , makes it so I don't much if any business via our classified system
Andy

I have also been charged sales tax when receiving a rifle that was a straight across trade....
Stupid law....That and the $50 processing fee the local FFL extorts , makes it so I don't much if any business via our classified system
Andy
I did a LOT more buying, selling, trading before the FFL transferring got in the way. Everything was less confounding and there weren't any extra fees to a deal.

And why is it that the only time I get a delay is when I've driven an hour or more to get to the FFL? 🤬

Back to the topic on hand, only a few private parties wanted or offered a Bill of Sale, but every vendor I purchased from has a receipt for me.
I would expect nothing else from any business. I just transferred a gun at Tick Licker. The seller paid the background check and I received the receipt for that, but no receipt from the seller. You know darn good and well if I bought the gun from TickLicker I would have received a receipt.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top