JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to have a Terminator backplate on mine, switched that over to "we the people" when I thought about how others might evaluate that. I figure "we the people" would at least give me the response of asking the lawyer to read our founding documents to try and gain the context. The pleasure of forcing them to read those documents would be good enough in my book for what comes next.

And I did not think about the trigger but I did put in another trigger... I also use it at the range and wanted a lighter trigger. I kept going back and forth with do I just want to use another gun for my range time but...

Using what you carry for practice means there won't be any surprises if I ever have to use it for self defense. And why use the cheaper stuff for your carry when you want it to be reliable.

If I was ever asked why I had an upgraded trigger in a carry gun I would respond "so that I could more accurately hit the person trying to kill me without endangering bystanders."

Neither violent or profane: "Is this going to be your last day?"
I heard of prosecutions of carriers for using 'out of norm' calibers like 10mm.

Last Edited:
It's already in case law (somewhere) you can't make a deadly weapon more deadly, after all dead is dead. As for the rest, my right to express myself is constitutionally guaranteed.

It's already in case law (somewhere) you can't make a deadly weapon more deadly, after all dead is dead. As for the rest, my right to express myself is constitutionally guaranteed.

That may be true as far as "deadly weapon" goes, I don't know. However using a gun with reloads or profane customizations in a DGU has caused needless trouble for carriers in the past.

"I would opine that perhaps, if Harold Fish had used a J-frame .38 special, and had fired once instead of three times with his 10mm Kimber, and if he didn't have an expansive gun collection, he might never have been indicted by that grand jury."

Really Marty?...you can do better than that. I guess that means anyone that owns a few guns and gets into a shooting is at a legal disadvantage? Too much on the theory "What if", but next to nothing about the facts of the incident.

Last Edited:
435e132e7ba26ae7a1de48bca8685213.png

"I would opine that perhaps, if Harold Fish had used a J-frame .38 special, and had fired once instead of three times with his 10mm Kimber, and if he didn't have an expansive gun collection, he might never have been indicted by that grand jury."

Really Marty?...you can do better than that. I guess that means anyone that owns a few guns and gets into a shooting is at a legal disadvantage? Too much on the theory "What if", but next to nothing about the facts of the incident.

Reading the incident story of Mr.Fish:
No, I do not believe it would have mattered if he had a J frame .38 vs. his 10mm.
Second, one shot from a snub .38 may not have been fatal, (or any other caliber, no flame) so the question is moot.
By prosecutor's theory, he was a "gun nut" anyway, for owning multiple firearms. His 10mm didn't really play a factor.
And, unless you use only use FMJ, we are all in trouble.

AZ changed the SD law as to burden of proof, perhaps because of this case.
Although it is "kind of" an example because at least the minutia issues were mentioned, I do not think it makes it applicable.
Grand jury is a strange animal and it was not used at trial.

Summary-appearance (of the weapon) didn't matter.

Last Edited:
I haven't reviewed the details of the Harold Fish case but based on the article above the irrelevant information was discussed in grand jury testimony, not in trial. Grand juries do not decide guilt or innocence. The irrelevant information (gun nut inquisition) was apparently properly excluded from his trial. Grand jury indictments are not difficult to obtain because they are one sided events, run by a prosecutor. As the saying goes "you can indict a ham sandwich."

Little things can and will be used against you by an overzealous Prosecutor or Jury. Prepare accordingly. Full stop.

When has any not-illegal firearm modification ever been used as grounds to bring charges in a case?

How could such things cited in the article, like mag extensions or a lightened trigger, be used against someone? When has that ever happened?

No one has ever been able to provide me with a single civilian shooting case in which the shooter's legal weapon's enhancements came into play.

When has any not-illegal firearm modification ever been used as grounds to bring charges in a case?

How could such things cited in the article, like mag extensions or a lightened trigger, be used against someone? When has that ever happened?

No one has ever been able to provide me with a single civilian shooting case in which the shooter's legal weapon's enhancements came into play.
Oh I don't know. Back in a previous life, I once had a DA take exception to the personalized license plate on my motorcycle. When I showed up for court, he said, "oh so you're the ***** guy". It didn't help my case. Lol. I still have that plate hanging on the wall of my garage.

Oh I don't know. Back in a previous life, I once had a DA take exception to the personalized license plate on my motorcycle. When I showed up for court, he said, "oh so you're the ***** guy". It didn't help my case. Lol. I still have that plate hanging on the wall of my garage.

Does that have any bearing on a civilian shooting case?

If it does, what were the details of your experience? It's difficult to infer much from the info you provided. What was on the plate? What were the circumstances that had you going to court in the first place?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top