JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks. Jim. At least once a day I go condition white in some crappy place. Still I think I'm learning a little bit.

Most D bags would rather you just ignore them so they can go thru with these tactics. A look directly into their eyes for a moment,letting them know you are aware of them does help.

I don't give more than a casual glance into their eyes cause their eyes can't hurt me. I look to their body language and their hands, muggers get ready to fight and pump themselves up for the fight. Their eyes may give away their intentions but their hands are what is dangerous. I pick a target on the chest to look at that gives me full view of their hands and feet. It's also where the bullet will go if they try to harm me or my family.

My problem is tunnel vision. Both on the street and in scenario training I tend to not take in the 360 environment when I focus on a threat. I've trained with some people who were not the fastest but always knew how to find their place in the environment.

I have my head up looking all the time when I walk or drive, only time I tunnel in is when it becomes a threat. I can't stop the focus so I know I am vulnerable to other attacks so I try to keep moving. Once I get stopped then the fights on. I think as long as I am moving I am avoiding danger as long as I pick the right directiono_O

I walk a little different path.

My German Shepard is with me at all times. He's with me in stores. And all other places I go.

I don't see how most people could incorporate a dog into there day like I have. But It has taught me some interesting things about human dog relations. And how well we can communicate with each other.
He really picks up on people not acting right. And he's like a mirror to people with bad intentions.

Now I don't want my dog to fight my fights for me. I love him. And he has too much training to risk his being injured. But our interaction has become a kind of unspoken pack language. And dogs are spot on with there surroundings. He will tip me off all the time. Never letting anybody else in on what he senses.

If you want to know your surroundings. Keep a dog with you. They are great at training your observations. It's magic how they work. And will embarrass your skill to spot a threat.

A dog dose not care about being seen as a racist. Dose not give sympathy to a threatening person who has a good ''Down on his luck look''. They are honest in there assessment. Where we may miss something. Or let our opinion be clouded with pre conceived notions. Dogs don't overthink things. Dogs cut through the crud. They calls an Ace an Ace!

Man and dogs have been braving, and beating this world together for at least 10.000 years. And in that time a special relationship has formed. Few make use of it today. But it's there if you want it.

Last Edited:
Thanks. Jim. At least once a day I go condition white in some crappy place. Still I think I'm learning a little bit.

It's incredibly easy to drop into condition white....
One glaring problem comes from the fact that most violence occurs between people who know each other--tough interactions to prepare for...o_O
I highly recommend an excellent book on this topic; Marc MacYoung's, "In the Name of Self Defense--When it's Worth it, What it costs...."

Something I do with my students in regards to the environment is take a regular sheet of paper with normal size writing on it and start about 12 or so inches out at their ear and slowly move it towards the front of their face. This shows those who think they can see things going on to their side that it is less than they think it is.

It takes time and diligence to be able to stay in condition yellow and that we all at one time or another fall into condition white. One pet peeve for me is not to listen to music on my smart phone out in public/ All my friends and I will stand in a V out in public to cover more of the environment.

Something I do with my students in regards to the environment is take a regular sheet of paper with normal size writing on it and start about 12 or so inches out at their ear and slowly move it towards the front of their face. This shows those who think they can see things going on to their side that it is less than they think it is.

It takes time and diligence to be able to stay in condition yellow and that we all at one time or another fall into condition white. One pet peeve for me is not to listen to music on my smart phone out in public/ All my friends and I will stand in a V out in public to cover more of the environment.

Every day things in life can help you increase your awareness. I ran heavy equipment around people and traffic most of my life so you have to keep looking in every direction to be safe. Plus since I travel a lot to unknown neighborhoods that being safety aware helped a lot, even to working in Iraq.

Edited to add, sometimes you have to figure out how to arm yourself even in those places you can't have a gun. Texas was were they trained you to go to Iraq and there were no guns allowed. Plus the training area was in a bad neighborhood (on purpose I think to scare away those with weakness) and all foot traffic out side the facility was discouraged.

So I found the nearest walmart and bought a aluminum bat and a ball. A bat by itself is considered a weapon but with a ball it's just for fun. I packed it around when I thought there might be a need and eventually took it to Iraq and gave it to some of the troops. After of course I found who was selling knives.:D No gun allowed over there but I always knew where I could get my hands on one should the need arise.

Keep you head moving and keep thinking.

Last Edited:
Interesting thread..................bookmarked the Paladin site.

LAST WEEK I was in the local liquor store, just browsing before buying.

The clerk was in the far corner, stocking shelves.

I was in the middle of store, reading labels.:D

A black guy in sweats comes in, looking a little jumpy, stands over by the cash register, and looks around for "whatever".:(

I was watching him (OK, I was profiling him, but don't tell anyone) when I realized that if anything went down, I would be caught with no where to go.

THIS WAS ONE OF THE FEW TIMES I DIDN'T CARRY, BUT JUST WENT INTO THE STORE FOR A FEW MINUTES................ GUN IN TRUCK.............

I IMMEDIATELY got out of the store, went to my truck, grabbed my carry, and SLOWLY, on full alert, went back in.

As I opened the door, he glanced at me as he was buying a bottle, and quickly left.

Now, first thing I thought was; What just happened?

2nd thing...why would I RETURN to the store if I was concerned.....

Why?........because I know the girl working that day. I was concerned for her.

3rd. Did I just thwart a robbery?..........I'll never know.

4th. I'm glad nothing happened!

Would I do it again?

100% yes.

Am I going to be even more alert in the future?

100% YES!!

Interesting thread..................bookmarked the Paladin site.

LAST WEEK I was in the local liquor store, just browsing before buying.

The clerk was in the far corner, stocking shelves.

I was in the middle of store, reading labels.:D

A black guy in sweats comes in, looking a little jumpy, stands over by the cash register, and looks around for "whatever".:(

I was watching him (OK, I was profiling him, but don't tell anyone) when I realized that if anything went down, I would be caught with no where to go.

THIS WAS ONE OF THE FEW TIMES I DIDN'T CARRY, BUT JUST WENT INTO THE STORE FOR A FEW MINUTES................ GUN IN TRUCK.............

I IMMEDIATELY got out of the store, went to my truck, grabbed my carry, and SLOWLY, on full alert, went back in.

As I opened the door, he glanced at me as he was buying a bottle, and quickly left.

Now, first thing I thought was; What just happened?

2nd thing...why would I RETURN to the store if I was concerned.....

Why?........because I know the girl working that day. I was concerned for her.

3rd. Did I just thwart a robbery?..........I'll never know.

4th. I'm glad nothing happened!

Would I do it again?

100% yes.

Am I going to be even more alert in the future?

100% YES!!

Keep the moves on the dirtbags, profiling or not, I do not know how many times downtown, I has spun around like an elk only to see, visualize, and recognize, that others were very quick to note my actions. I well may have thwarted something.

Be Aware, at all times, Be Diligent, Be Lawful. It gives people the understanding of your not out to Be A Victim.

Yesterday in WallyWorld I had a fella "talking loudly on his phone" suddenly stop in his tracks when he saw me and turn to come up the isle where I was meandering. I quickly moved to the other end of the isle when I saw him do this, and he very obviously followed me, stopping within a few feet 'looking at some shoes' and continuing to talk on his phone. I turned toward him to make sure he knew I was aware of him, then darted around the corner and left. He did not follow me, and maybe I was being paranoid, but his behavior was definitely described in many books and videos as 'interviewing' or attempting to get within contact range.

I suppose I'll never know if I was just being a paranoid old lady or not, and I guess I feel a little silly now, but I am glad I am now noticing behavior that is outside the norm...o_O

Yesterday in WallyWorld I had a fella "talking loudly on his phone" suddenly stop in his tracks when he saw me and turn to come up the isle where I was meandering. I quickly moved to the other end of the isle when I saw him do this, and he very obviously followed me, stopping within a few feet 'looking at some shoes' and continuing to talk on his phone. I turned toward him to make sure he knew I was aware of him, then darted around the corner and left. He did not follow me, and maybe I was being paranoid, but his behavior was definitely described in many books and videos as 'interviewing' or attempting to get within contact range.

I suppose I'll never know if I was just being a paranoid old lady or not, and I guess I feel a little silly now, but I am glad I am now noticing behavior that is outside the norm...o_O

Ya never know, could have been Bruce Jenner just admiring your shoes or maybe Brian Williams wanting to tell you a story:D. Inside isn't near as dangerous as outside and no one to help. Glad you are paying attention.

...... suddenly stop in his tracks when he saw me ......

1st of all, I have seen beautiful women in stores that I wanted to get a closer look at, so would do something similar. Maybe start up a conservation with them..............................maybe talk with them too........
I would guess that could have been a motive.:D:D;);)....NOT to diminish his action........

Do NOT call yourself an "old Lady YET.
People are old when they reach 70....THAT is getting OLD:cool: :cool:

It really SUCKS that, in order to feel safe in today's world, we have to be on "alert".:(

But being on alert is not silly, and as you stated, you are glad you are noticing......:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top