JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I actually don't want to be paranoid. :(
As Tanya Metaksa, co developer of the NRA's Refuse To Be A Victim program says in her book, Safe, Not Sorry; "Find that thin, moving line between paranoia and preparedness, and walk in it."
That's where I want to be-walkin' the line. ;):)
Paranoia goes away when you are confident that you can handle the situation. If you have the mind set that nobody's gunna bubblegum with you today,then the bad guys can sense that.They want easy targets.
Sometimes threats don't show to those that have good situational awareness.
Heck at the Border's? at the Tacoma mall,I was walking to the back parking lot,when I noticed a guy out on 38th street.Can't see to read a book but I notice movement .He was watching me head back there.I looked directly at him till he decided to head for Red Robin.

Gavin De Becker is good stuff, if your first impression was of a threat, prob a threat. Personally, if they get in contact range, they had best be ready for contact [emoji33]

That was well written, Mike, thanks!
I kind of think I was lucky to live in an inner NE PDX neighborhood in the '60-'70s after the Army. Racial tensions ran high and if you weren't aleart you were probably in trouble. Notice everything! It is so ingrained now that I don't know any other way of life! Not so much racism these days but still plenty of criminal activity and we are once again in the midst of a gang war! Keeps life interesting! Stay safe out there! SRG

I would highly recommend two books: Meditations on Violence by Rory Miller and The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker.
Ignore everything about guns that De Becker says. He's an anti. But everything ELSE he talks about (99% of the book) is spot on, so don't let the hoplophobic statements throw you.

BOTH of these excellent books talk about threat identification and and avoidance in great detail from the baby level to the more intermediate and even advanced levels. I try to get all my students to buy them, to the point of selling them AT COST in every class.

If you carry, if you care about personal security, these are the FIRST books I would recommend to anyone.

And don't kid yourself... Yes, you DO go into condition white from time to time. Because you are HUMAN. Training just keeps those lapses to a minimum.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top