Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

National Thoughts on Shockwave/Tac-14/et. al. legality, etc.

Reactions
Hey heretic...If inquisitive minds might inquire...why did you chose to go with the Mossberg Shockwave model verses say mdl 500 Spec Purpose/Tatical/Cruiser series or flex 500 combo [definitely more versatility per se] ?

PM if easier

OP
The Heretic
Reactions
Hey heretic...If inquisitive minds might inquire...why did you chose to go with the Mossberg Shockwave model verses say mdl 500 Spec Purpose/Tatical/Cruiser series or flex 500 combo [definitely more versatility per se] ?

PM if easier
I've already had a 500 - a bullpup (original, not conversion).

At the time I was thinking along the lines of another bullpup - first a hi cap pump (Standard Mfg.), then the new Tavor semi-auto - but all of the bullpups are heavy and some are quite bulky.

I wanted something that can be a 'handy' (compact and light) "truck gun", and it occurred to me that the Shockwave seemed like a good answer to that goal. Plus it has the Marinecoat/stainless (I think it is the former not the latter) although the internal parts are blued (probably get them coated or parkerized).

Now a regular 500/590 with a pistol grip and 18" barrel is ~27" long, so the ~26" Shockwave is not that much shorter, but with a pistol brace you can go with an even shorter barrel (down to about 12") and stay within the legalities of the firearm laws. The one I bought came with a pistol brace, but I think I will leave the barrel at 14". I may get a more collapsible 'brace'.

I am probably going to get different sights for it, put a light and laser on it as I would often use it in the dark on my property where there are bears and cougar (I sometimes go out to see what triggered the motion detector lights).

Reactions
You are a gentleman and scholar...and there are DARN few of us left!

Appreciate, and H U Z Z A H the gift give holiday may come early - like next week (*!*)

Reactions
That letter is only for the purposes of transfers and background checks that go thru the Orygun system. It has no bearing on other laws as to the classification of the firearm - including when/where/how you carry it.

As has been said numerous times, only handguns can be carried concealed with a permit in Orygun (or other exceptions when hunting/etc., so it cannot be carried concealed upon ones person. Otherwise a person should treat a Shockwave/Tac-14/et. al. as a long gun with regards to the law.
Note that I specifically said "Open Carry" since concealed carrying a Shockwave would make it an AOW/Any Other Weapon in the eyes of the ATF.

OP
The Heretic
Reactions
Just watched this:

Q: What is the legalities of a SBS/Shockwave in another country?

IIRC, Canada for instance, if I understand them correctly, has different laws regarding barrel lengths on long guns; as long as the barrel is what it was from the factory, any length is good?

Sawed-off shotgunsshotguns with barrels cut off to less than 18 inches – areillegal in Canada. ... If a factory-produced shotgun has a barrel less than 18 inches, it's legal so long as its overall length is greater than 660mm, or 30 inches, and the action is hand-operated, like a pump-action.Jan 14, 2013
So my Shockwave, which is 30" OAL with the pistol brace, is legal in Canada?

OP
The Heretic
Reactions
So my Shockwave, which is 30" OAL with the pistol brace, is legal in Canada?
No answers?

I was just looking at the NFA pubs on the ATF site, and the letter on the Shockwave, and came to the conclusion that although you can put an 18" barrel on the Shockwave (which would make it legal in Calif. and Canada), if you put a stock on it, it is then a shotgun and then you can't put it back into a 'firearm' configuration? At least per the ATF (although they have not explicitly said that, it would be one interpretation of the law and their regs).

This would basically be 'once a shotgun, always a shotgun', which sounds extremely similar to the 'once a rifle, always a rifle' stand they took on pistols - and lost in court. I haven't heard of anybody being taken to court on this - and probably won't, simply because it would be very hard to detect someone going back and forth, and I don't think the ATF is going to take exception to someone selling a shoulder stock that will fit the Shockwave - a lot of people are, because the a 500/590 stock would fit it just fine.

I personally won't push the issue; I find the pistol brace works almost as well as a shoulder stock "in a pinch".

OP
The Heretic
Reactions
Put this on one of my Shockwaves today:

59026.jpg

Since it is a pistol grip it felt better than the raptor grip, with regards to recoil. Couldn't really feel any spring action or movement, but it was better than the raptor grip. I felt more recoil with the foregrip than the pistol grip. I may add a Hogue rubber for grip and see if that helps. I was shooting #4 and OO buck 2.75" shells (Winchester 'Max load Magnum')

It makes the OAL barely 26.25" by my measurements, so barely squeaking by. This is an older model, the newer model (Gen III) adds about another inch and allows for the insertion of a buffer tube so you can add a pistol brace if you wish.

I probably won't add a foregrip (it is legal) as then it wouldn't fit in the scabbard I have for it.

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done business with Jeff for many years,he is trustworthy and honest
    • grpolarbear
  • Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I've known him from the beginning. I trust him completely. His prices are fair. He is...
    • OLDMANWINTER
  • Country Line Shooting Sports
    5.00 star(s)
    If you like a good mom and pop, country store, County Line only lacks the cracker barrel and...
    • CptPh0t0n
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    David is kind, considerate and a true professional as are the rest of his staff ! Thanks
    • LuLuBelle
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    Back in April, I had Brimstone do a Tier 1 trigger job for my 10/22 race gun build. After months...
    • Mister Bisley

Staff online