JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey heretic...If inquisitive minds might inquire...why did you chose to go with the Mossberg Shockwave model verses say mdl 500 Spec Purpose/Tatical/Cruiser series or flex 500 combo [definitely more versatility per se] ?

PM if easier

Hey heretic...If inquisitive minds might inquire...why did you chose to go with the Mossberg Shockwave model verses say mdl 500 Spec Purpose/Tatical/Cruiser series or flex 500 combo [definitely more versatility per se] ?

PM if easier

I've already had a 500 - a bullpup (original, not conversion).

At the time I was thinking along the lines of another bullpup - first a hi cap pump (Standard Mfg.), then the new Tavor semi-auto - but all of the bullpups are heavy and some are quite bulky.

I wanted something that can be a 'handy' (compact and light) "truck gun", and it occurred to me that the Shockwave seemed like a good answer to that goal. Plus it has the Marinecoat/stainless (I think it is the former not the latter) although the internal parts are blued (probably get them coated or parkerized).

Now a regular 500/590 with a pistol grip and 18" barrel is ~27" long, so the ~26" Shockwave is not that much shorter, but with a pistol brace you can go with an even shorter barrel (down to about 12") and stay within the legalities of the firearm laws. The one I bought came with a pistol brace, but I think I will leave the barrel at 14". I may get a more collapsible 'brace'.

I am probably going to get different sights for it, put a light and laser on it as I would often use it in the dark on my property where there are bears and cougar (I sometimes go out to see what triggered the motion detector lights).

That letter is only for the purposes of transfers and background checks that go thru the Orygun system. It has no bearing on other laws as to the classification of the firearm - including when/where/how you carry it.

As has been said numerous times, only handguns can be carried concealed with a permit in Orygun (or other exceptions when hunting/etc., so it cannot be carried concealed upon ones person. Otherwise a person should treat a Shockwave/Tac-14/et. al. as a long gun with regards to the law.

Note that I specifically said "Open Carry" since concealed carrying a Shockwave would make it an AOW/Any Other Weapon in the eyes of the ATF.

Just watched this:

Q: What is the legalities of a SBS/Shockwave in another country?

IIRC, Canada for instance, if I understand them correctly, has different laws regarding barrel lengths on long guns; as long as the barrel is what it was from the factory, any length is good?

Sawed-off shotgunsshotguns with barrels cut off to less than 18 inches – areillegal in Canada. ... If a factory-produced shotgun has a barrel less than 18 inches, it's legal so long as its overall length is greater than 660mm, or 30 inches, and the action is hand-operated, like a pump-action.Jan 14, 2013

So my Shockwave, which is 30" OAL with the pistol brace, is legal in Canada?

So my Shockwave, which is 30" OAL with the pistol brace, is legal in Canada?

No answers?

I was just looking at the NFA pubs on the ATF site, and the letter on the Shockwave, and came to the conclusion that although you can put an 18" barrel on the Shockwave (which would make it legal in Calif. and Canada), if you put a stock on it, it is then a shotgun and then you can't put it back into a 'firearm' configuration? At least per the ATF (although they have not explicitly said that, it would be one interpretation of the law and their regs).

This would basically be 'once a shotgun, always a shotgun', which sounds extremely similar to the 'once a rifle, always a rifle' stand they took on pistols - and lost in court. I haven't heard of anybody being taken to court on this - and probably won't, simply because it would be very hard to detect someone going back and forth, and I don't think the ATF is going to take exception to someone selling a shoulder stock that will fit the Shockwave - a lot of people are, because the a 500/590 stock would fit it just fine.

I personally won't push the issue; I find the pistol brace works almost as well as a shoulder stock "in a pinch".

Put this on one of my Shockwaves today:

59026.jpg

Since it is a pistol grip it felt better than the raptor grip, with regards to recoil. Couldn't really feel any spring action or movement, but it was better than the raptor grip. I felt more recoil with the foregrip than the pistol grip. I may add a Hogue rubber for grip and see if that helps. I was shooting #4 and OO buck 2.75" shells (Winchester 'Max load Magnum')

It makes the OAL barely 26.25" by my measurements, so barely squeaking by. This is an older model, the newer model (Gen III) adds about another inch and allows for the insertion of a buffer tube so you can add a pistol brace if you wish.

I probably won't add a foregrip (it is legal) as then it wouldn't fit in the scabbard I have for it.

"Now a regular 500/590 with a pistol grip and 18" barrel is ~27" long, so the ~26" Shockwave is not that much shorter..."

IMHO the 18" stocked configuration makes it a lot more useful for just 1" of added LOA.
Anybody with arthritic hands have input as to how they like Shockwave/PGO shotguns?

"Now a regular 500/590 with a pistol grip and 18" barrel is ~27" long, so the ~26" Shockwave is not that much shorter..."

IMHO the 18" stocked configuration makes it a lot more useful for just 1" of added LOA.
Anybody with arthritic hands have input as to how they like Shockwave/PGO shotguns?

I have carpal tunnel in my right hand/wrist and tremors sometimes. I don't shoot my Shockwaves that much, especially not with the 3" magnums.

BTW - most of the PGO shotguns are at least 28" long, and many of them are 31" long, not 27".

IMO, the main value of the Shockwave/et. al., is when you put a pistol brace on them. In which case the firearm is at least 4" shorter than a stocked shotgun, probably more as the LOP is also several inches shorter. My Shockwave with a pistol brace is about the same length as a Mossberg 500 bullpup - in the 28" to 30" range, or about the same length as a Mossberg PGO shotgun, but with the ability to shoulder it (unintentionally of course). I would prefer they used a grip with a cushion plus the spring.

I am working on a folding pistol brace setup for my other Shockwave, but getting it setup so that it is 26"+ folded is proving difficult, but necessary for it to be legal. Right now it has the Knoxx Breacher's grip on it that is just a smidgen over 26" and has a recoil spring in it.

Would it be legal to add a Magpul AR-15 M-Lok MVG MOE vertices grip time the front end of the Tac 14 20ga?

This is another similar "other" weapon, and notice it comes stock with a foregrip. Yes, it has a longer barrel, but it still is the same classification as a Shockwave.

So, I gave one of my Shockwaves to a neighbor who is moving to Montana and needed a handy "firearm" with the power of a shotgun, for when he is fishing in brown bear territory.

LGS was having misgivings about doing the transfer because I had put a Knoxx grip on it, replacing the raptor grip. He measured it and It was just a smidgen over 26" but he still didn't want to do the transfer. It wasn't clear why (not sure if it was due to the barely legal length or the grip itself - some people believe that if you change the grip in any way that it magically becomes a SBS, which is not true, it isn't the grip, it is the length {i.e., it has to be 26" or longer}), but he said he didn't want to risk it. So I put the raptor grip back on and then he did the transfer.

Not complaining - it is his prerogative - I am just mentioning it that if you sell one of these you probably want to put the raptor grip on it just to preclude any misunderstandings about the law on these.

LGS was having misgivings about doing the transfer
I took a $75 pawnshop Savage/Stevens SxS 12ga shotgun to my 'smith to have him cut/crown the barrels, refinish, move the gold bead, and fill the void under the rib (that would be left after the barrel-cut). I'd already done the woodwork, and it was a good thing l did because in order to maintain OAL the barrels had to be 19"... cutting at the typical 18" would have netted an SBS.
Anyway, despite my assurances that it was perfectly legal, he wouldn't do it. Since l was about 20 miles from home, l found a hardware store and bought a measuring tape, masking tape, and a hacksaw and cut it on the bed of my truck in his parking lot and took it inside.
I handed it to him and he said, "It's still HOT!"
He squared-up my cut and did all of the other work that l had commissioned... but he did NOT want to cut the barrels.

The tie-in to your story is this: the ATF has cowed so many FFLs into line that they're even skittish about following the law sometimes. Same thing happens with the 72 hr unresolved BGC release... they CAN do it, but very few will.

I took a $75 pawnshop Savage/Stevens SxS 12ga shotgun to my 'smith to have him cut/crown the barrels, refinish, move the gold bead, and fill the void under the rib (that would be left after the barrel-cut). I'd already done the woodwork, and it was a good thing l did because in order to maintain OAL the barrels had to be 19"... cutting at the typical 18" would have netted an SBS.
Anyway, despite my assurances that it was perfectly legal, he wouldn't do it. Since l was about 20 miles from home, l found a hardware store and bought a measuring tape, masking tape, and a hacksaw and cut it on the bed of my truck in his parking lot and took it inside.
I handed it to him and he said, "It's still HOT!"
He squared-up my cut and did all of the other work that l had commissioned... but he did NOT want to cut the barrels.

The tie-in to your story is this: the ATF has cowed so many FFLs into line that they're even skittish about following the law sometimes. Same thing happens with the 72 hr unresolved BGC release... they CAN do it, but very few will.
They remember Randy Weaver...

I was planning on getting one eventually as the start of an SBS project, back when they were struggling to sell them for $270. If and when they go under $300 I'll reactivate that project, until then .... nah. I have a fairly nice folding shoulder stock I pulled off my 20" 590 that should work like a champ.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top