JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm a student of history, and I decided to look at the current spike in both the quantity and price of firearms/ammunition sales. I found this chart:

View attachment 828486

I noticed two obvious facts:

1) The average price goes up over time.
2) The big peaks (outliers) from the trendline collapse and return to the trendline.

Since we are currently living through an obvious peak right now (looks identical to the Obama/Sandy Hook peak), it seems like a no brainer to sell my ammunition and buy back twice the quantity once the peak collapses. I'd keep a reasonable amount on hand, but I have more than I could shoot in two lifetimes if I went shooting every single day. Why not double it?

Thoughts?
That is sort of what I thought I would do when I dumped more than half of my ammo back in the spring. Boy was my timing wrong on that decision. Now I wonder if ammo will ever be at or below what I sold it for ever again?

Pretty bad time to consider increasing your cache of ammo! Should have started a year ago or more; not in the middle of this chaos.

I always keep a good supply of ammo on hand so I can shoot cheap when prices go crazy, but last year I saw the intersection of pandemic, presidential election, and widespread social unrest as a sign of things to come. I bought up a few thousand each of decent 9mm range ammo, 5.56 M193 and green tip, .45 ACP range ammo, 12ga target/game shot, and a few hundred good self defense rounds for each; plus a few thousand of my go-to .22LR rounds. I monitored prices from April-June and bought it all when I saw stuff available.

I now have a BUNCH of extra ammo which I bought 9 months ago for less than half the current secondary market rate.

I am also considering flipping most of it for a profit; If I had anything I needed money for I already would have done so. I have it stored properly for long-term though, and I may just keep it and not need to buy ammo for a few years. I may also invest in more reloading equipment and save my brass for when primers and powder prices get reasonable again.

When Sandy hook happened, I had just bought a ton of 30-rd magazines and a few thousand rounds of 5.56... I wanted to sell for a profit, but not as much as I wanted to shoot for cheap. Decisions, decisions.

Bro, if you go before me, I'll gladly shove you head first into the fire, sit back and watch you "Snap, crackle and pop". I'll even sprinkle in some tracers for good measure! What a show indeed! :p :D
Anybody for a NWFA get together.........Masks and social distancing as required of course..........:D

Getting pretty tired of these should I sell my ammo threads.
ffs, lemme draw you a picture.. nobody cares

4F15587F-7C42-4041-9352-5D293BF8067B.gif

Interesting, I for one quit selling ammo before some of you were born. The ammo was gone, the money was gone, and I didn't have any ammo OR money to buy more! So I spent the next 40 years buying when it was cheap and available, and shooting it when it wasn't, and reloading it at all times

I don't know WHY? But. I was suddenly taken back to the 70's by your post. Yeah......my friend was saying.....

"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope."

Aloha, Mark

I started stocking up around 2004. I noticed the 9mm 100 rd white box at Walmart was rising in price. It was 9, then 10, then 11. So if I shot two boxes, I would buy four. it was to fight off inflation since I knew I would need it later. Over the years, I built up a good stash without ever breaking the bank. I never bought a case. Just a few extra boxes at a time. The result was I could just shake my head and laugh at all of the ammo shortages over the years.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top