JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you already have more ammo than you could shoot in a lifetime why Waste a bunch of time selling and re purchasing more?

I have no desire to see an Ammo Card introduced, but the concept already exists in CA, NJ, and perhaps a couple of other States. We would be foolish to think we are not at-risk of a similar concept in OR or WA.

It is my understanding that it is much harder to challenge the legislation of an Ammo Card since it does not violate the 2A. Please correct me if I am wrong.

For legislators in say OR or WA, it is not too difficult then for them to copy and conquer when drafting similar legislation for their State. Monkey see, monkey do.

"If you already have more ammo than you could shoot in a lifetime why Waste a bunch of time selling and re purchasing more? "

Not sure if this was humor? Just in case, the simple reason is no different than people who buy commodities of any kind and sell high, buy low. When the great mag ban went in I laid in a supply of them to last my lifetime. When it started to look like the law would be allowed to die I sold a LOT of them. The market was insane and it was worth the risk to me. Unloaded them at a huge profit. After law died and prices dropped back I kept buying more every time they were on sale till I had the pile built again.
With mags it was easy for me as I did not need all those extras. Could shoot all I wanted. Now ammo of course for those of us who still want to shoot we can only sell if we still have enough to shoot, or we want to forgo the shooting for a while. Still if I can sell ammo I paid less than $200 a case for, at $500 a case why not? Waste time? Time would be put up ad, meet buyer, pocket money, come home tell Wife, "lets go out to eat!". When pipe line fills again? Time is while I am sitting at work or home on line I go to favorite place and click on order. Few days later UPS shows up and sets it on my porch. Not to mention the credit card I use gives me money back to use them, again. :D

Boy how times change. I remember back when I had 500 rounds on the shelf it was plenty. After all, I could always buy more anywhere, any time. Now, If you have 500 rounds on the shelf, it just means you're almost out.

Interesting, I for one quit selling ammo before some of you were born. The ammo was gone, the money was gone, and I didn't have any ammo OR money to buy more! So I spent the next 40 years buying when it was cheap and available, and shooting it when it wasn't, and reloading it at all times
Clear back in the very early 1970s one gun writer said "I told my wife I would never let my primers get below 10,000 again...", that was 50 years ago and no one listened then, and no one listens now.

If you do sell, get on an inflation generator and look up what the money was worth when you bought it, and what it would have to sell for now to break even. It might surprise you. As one poster pointed out, money has lost half its value in his lifetime. You might sell for twice what you paid and still only break even. Do that with the 1950s-1960s surplus gun ads in the old magazines from the golden age of surplus, a lot of that stuff was NOT cheap back then. It only looks cheap because the money was worth (bought) more back then compared to now. Of course there were some guns you would clean up on now, but that was then and this is now, with lots of hindsight.

One poster was griping about threads that were about selling ammo and how tired he was of them. A simple solution to that problem: STOP READING THEM! Yup, really is that easy! "Oh woe is me! ANOTHER thread about 'should I or should I not sell ammo'! I am SOOOOO tired of those! Better read it to see what I am missing, then I can post how much I hate those threads!" If you don't like a thread, ignore it, don't read it, don't post on it. Simple. And yes, I've done it too, then apologized, and then stopped doing it.

Same with the knuckleheads who keep telling me I'm a rotten person, they hate me, I'm wrong, and so on and so forth. HEY! I'm sure there is an ignore button somewhere here, use it and we will both be happy. I don't care if you read my stuff or not, and would prefer the stupid and leftists didn't!

The trends noted on the graph in the original post are undeniable.

There's a joker in the deck that might confound the wisdom derived from the data. Namely, changes in the future that cause all ammunition sales to be regulated. It's already law in California. These things have a way of spreading. Like "assault weapons" bans/regulation.

The point here being, the liquidity of buying/selling ammo could go away by law. Or at least become highly restrictive. Selling legally might become difficult; buying even moreso. Something you wouldn't want to get caught in the middle of the trend on.

The trends noted on the graph in the original post are undeniable.

There's a joker in the deck that might confound the wisdom derived from the data. Namely, changes in the future that cause all ammunition sales to be regulated. It's already law in California. These things have a way of spreading. Like "assault weapons" bans/regulation.

The point here being, the liquidity of buying/selling ammo could go away by law. Or at least become highly restrictive. Selling legally might become difficult; buying even moreso. Something you wouldn't want to get caught in the middle of the trend on.

Yup, just like Red Flag Laws. Horrible ideas spread like wildfire under leftist supermajorities,,,

What I did was sell some ball/FMJ ammo and upgraded to expanding ammo by using the somewhat inflated prices of the current market, and adding some of $ to fund the upgrade. Most of those $ came from selling a rifle and ammo that I realized I was never going to use.

I also sold some "collectible" ammo (Black Talon) and bought its non-collectible current equivalent (SXT/et. al.).

As for quantity, I just kept adding more. I don't know what is going to happen in the future, and as a prepper I believe one can never have too much ammo, so the net result was always more ammo.

YMMV

If you already have more ammo than you could shoot in a lifetime why Waste a bunch of time selling and re purchasing more?
That means it's time to buy a machine gun so you can go peacefully knowing you made one hell of a mountain of brass!

To the OP;

I'll be doing the same except this time I can actually afford to stock up on ammo when it goes back down. My plan now is to order at least a case of something a month if not more plus random components for reloading as I find them for a decent deal. There will be an emphasis on 9mm, 45ACP and 5.45x39 for me. If I get back to competitive shooting and normal training 12k a year will be probably somewhere under a year supply. Only took me a year to wear out a sear in a HiPower when I was running a lot of 9mm.

As always the choice is yours.

With that said....
You may have plenty and more to spare , now.....
Who can say what the future holds , with proposed gun restrictions.

I'd hold on to the ammo...it ain't likely to "go bad" if properly stored and a surplus of ammo may be nice to gift to someone or sell for when you really need the money .
Andy

Boy how times change. I remember back when I had 500 rounds on the shelf it was plenty. After all, I could always buy more anywhere, any time. Now, If you have 500 rounds on the shelf, it just means you're almost out.

The shoot a box, replace a box method of "stocking" ammo has been crushed once again. It happened before, is happening now, and will happen again. It's up to the shooter to decide how prepared they wish to be.

Just like having food preps on hand. How many days do you plan to go w/o a grocery store stocked? Sadly right now people are discovering "how many days can you go w/o power?" or " How many days of propane do you have for back up heat and cooking?" Hopefully, even those of us that felt prepared are also learning

I'm writing this for the "it will return to normal" crowd because I disagree with them. Please show me where my thinking is flawed. Be specific, "you are an idiot!", while possibly true, is not actually helpful outside of a antifa/blm rally, and not actually helpful to either discussion.

Will ammo return to the Pre-Donald prices? No. Why not? inflation for one. Prices are going up. The ammo companies already announced a 15% price hike (fairly usual and expected each year). Now with the $15/hour minimum wage (the minimum wage doubled) and that means everything ELSE goes up. I hire some unskilled kid (at twice what it was a month ago) and teach them how to do a job, they get good and want $20/hour. The skilled labor who was working for twice minimum wage ($15/hr) now wants $25 or $30, the one who was getting $25 wants $35-$40, etc., etc. Rent, gas, ammo all go up by twice, at a minimum. Looking at the buying now, the current prices will be the norm.

The dollar is losing value every day too. Get on an inflation generator and look what your money was "worth" a year ago, 6 months ago, last week. The wages go "up" as the value of the money goes down. Look what happened in Germany. How long before it takes a wheelbarrow of money to buy a box of .22s?

Component parts, lead, copper, tin, zinc are all going up. Remember the only new lead showing up is from Blue China. So is the copper (China owns the mines and buys the scrap copper). China gets mad at the US and it's "no lead or copper for you!" The US exports raw products (copper ore, raw meat/fish) and imports finished products, like computer chips, Smithfield ham, salmon, etc. Exporting raw products and importing finished products is what 3rd world countries do. Plus, tack on the wage hike to the shipping and gas prices/taxes.

The 3rd world sheet holes will ban ammo, or at least lead bulleted ammo (Commiefornia, and all duck hunting, but the ducks are coming back, some, if the wetlands don't get turned into toxic sewers by the left, again) and where will .22s be if no lead bullets? Biden wants to ban all ammo too. Where did I get that? Every/any statement he puts out now, or every time he opened his mouth on the campaign. Liberal wet dream.

Do NOT think ammo bans are new. Go read a 1920s American Rifleman or other older gun/outdoor mags from 1900 on, there was usually an antigun article five or six times a year, a few were states and a few were federal, warning about how the commies want to ban all guns, or just pistols, or ammo, or trapping, or.... the list never ends. Look at some of these bills from 1900 and it is the exact SAME bill introduced in 2020! Seriously. The only thing that changed is who is sponsoring it.

Red flags are the leftist wet dream and the RINOs go right along. "Vote the communists out in the mid-term elections"? Didn't you not watch the Prez elections? As they get better at it, there will be no election, from dog catcher on up, that will be safe from them. We have a 1 1/4 party system NOW and have for 60 years!

What? A "two party" system? Are you nutz?! Haven't you paid ANY attention for the last 60 years?! The RINOs talk a "good game" and then rollover and "lose with honor". Remember Nam and we "won with honor" by killing US soldiers before paying the Cong off and running away, finally, because the US left had no intentions of letting the war be won. Remember Kerry throwing his metals over the WH fence and then claiming he was a vet when running for office?! What makes you think the commies are going to voluntarily give up power when the "near left" RINOs whine "not fair!" and "lose with honor" again?

Look at gas prices. EVERYTHING is based on the price of gas. Someone has to drive out to look for iron ore, copper, etc. Then big machines dig it out, big trucks haul it to the refinery, then it is trucked to the manufacturer, and then the warehouse where it is trucked to the local store. All that takes gas!

Solar power? Wind power? Go look at the amount of raw materials (oil, copper, and lead) and other materials it takes to build, and then the energy it takes to make the solar panel and wind tower. Over the 10 year life span of the wind towers, they are expected to generate 90% of the energy it took to BUILD them! Call your local library and ask the info desk if you think I'm wrong.

NO gas engines by 2030 or whatever? How far can you drive on a battery full now? !00 miles? Then you need to plug into the grid (which in half the country is down right now, as I write this) to charge for 12 hours. Guess that cross-country drive is now off! Restricting travel, what a handy way to control the sheeple. Think shipments are slow now? You got no idea!

Oh, and no airplanes, except for Kerry to fly to Greenland to get an award for saving the planet, in his private jet. No plane is getting off the ground with solar/wind power! So no air mail either! How fast do you think that 1st class mail is going to go at 100 miles a day? Pony express anyone? Want overseas travel? How about sailing ships? How fast is that lead from China going to get here?

As to gun powder, how many POWDER factories are there is the US? St Marks and what...? Sure, lots of "ammo" plants, but they don't MAKE their own powder at the plant. Tariffs anyone? Import bans? Environmental laws? Have you seen the acids and toxic chemicals they use to make powder? Can't have that getting out in a spill! OOPS! Better ban it!

Expect another mass shooting any day now too. Then Joe will be forced to sign an EO banning ammo/guns, and kicking down doors looking for domestic terrorists (you know, Trump supporters), and isn't it convenient that Rush Limbaugh died today, (2-17-21) so he couldn't stir up the masses, just like Ant Scoliea held a pillow over his face until he suffocated himself at a communist owned dude ranch and was buried 12 hours later. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

So tell me again how ammo is going to be cheap, plentiful, and freely available again... Sure I COULD be wrong, there is a first time for everything, but can you prove it by rebutting me?

Last Edited:
I have no desire to see an Ammo Card introduced, but the concept already exists in CA, NJ, and perhaps a couple of other States. We would be foolish to think we are not at-risk of a similar concept in OR or WA.

It is my understanding that it is much harder to challenge the legislation of an Ammo Card since it does not violate the 2A. Please correct me if I am wrong.

For legislators in say OR or WA, it is not too difficult then for them to copy and conquer when drafting similar legislation for their State. Monkey see, monkey do.
Sure it does. Try buying ammo in California. They only issue cards to Cal residents which means you, a non- Californian American citizen using US currency are prohibited from buying ammo there. That strikes me as a violation.:mad:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top