JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
clarifications to annihilate the confusion

I want to know what to properly reply to people who ask something like "why does a citizen need an AR type gun?"
How should I verbally justify or defend lawful ownership of such guns by The People?

What might you say whenever folks ask, "What do you need that thing for?"

I don't know what everybody here owns and don't consider it my business to know.

By ambassador I mean advocate. How might one be a good advocate for AR ownership?

FA92646E-F9C2-4D7E-A2E8-09269E8227A8.jpeg

2. will the A2 sight on the stock Colt carry handle to continue to hold its zero each and every time the handle goes on and off the receiver?

I used to do Match Hi-Power rifle shooting. The M16 (and whatever names, who cares) platform was just starting to replace the M1A/M14 at the Hi-Power Rifle matches. Anyway......speaking from that perspective. Well, I wouldn't go with a "replaceable carry handle or any other replaceable rear sight arrangement".

IMHO......just stick with the forged upper with the handle already there. Think about, Murphy's Law.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
No, I understood you to mean #4 waterfowl loads and that's what I was referring to.... IMO, that will be fine. Tho I'm not an expert or former drip under pressure. I did sleep at a Holiday Express once.
There are #4 waterfowl loads that are even different from #4 birdshot in size? I do need to learn a lot more about shotgun loads, sir. Exactly how many different "#4" shot sizes are there in the world of scattergunning? My Federal box of shells has "4 SHOT" printed on the top of the box with a picture of a quail on the box. I presume they aren't waterfowl loads.I only bought ($8.00/box of 25) those because a certain gun store employee recommended them to me for apartment security. Here's a stock image of what I have:
1597430789972.png

I'm seeking a recommendation of what I really should have if there is more appropriate and available load for my purpose.

Last Edited:
Why should someone own a _______ ?
Why do you need to own a ________?
Insert firearm of choice here....

The 2nd Amendment says in part :
"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms , shall not be infringed."

Notice that there is no clause or wording that states that one will have to provide a need or reason to "keep and bear Arms".
It also does not say :
"..the right to keep and bear Arms , expect for Arms of these types..."
Or
"...the right to keep and bear Arms , but only for these purposes or reasons....."

Own what you want...or choose not to own a firearm....
Just don't make that choice for me.
Andy

What are the real reasons American citizens need a stock AR-15 then?

What does "need" have to do with anything? What do people need with a 700 HP hotrod or 5 gallon to the mile SUV or more than one 3 bedroom home? Because this is America and if you are willing to work you can have pretty much whatever you want and that is the way it should be. :s0160:

Why should someone own a _______ ?
Why do you need to own a ________?
Insert firearm of choice here....

The 2nd Amendment says in part :
"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms , shall not be infringed."

Notice that there is no clause or wording that states that one will have to provide a need or reason to "keep and bear Arms".
It also does not say :
"..the right to keep and bear Arms , expect for Arms of these types..."
Or
"...the right to keep and bear Arms , but only for these purposes or reasons....."

Own what you want...or choose not to own a firearm....
Just don't make that choice for me.
Andy

I fear the mentality of those who seek to take away any gun from honest people. The single supreme danger, more than any weapon of war or armed enemy of America, toward the Republic is an unhealthy or ignorant mindset of the people and governments of such Republic.

This was asked to Benjamin Franklin, 'What do we have, a republic or a monarchy?' Franklin replied, 'A republic, if you can keep it.' Our responsibility is to keep it."

I fear the mentality of those who seek to take away any gun from honest people. The single supreme danger, more than any weapon of war or armed enemy of America, toward the Republic is an unhealthy or ignorant mindset of the people and governments of such Republic.

This was asked to Benjamin Franklin, 'What do we have, a republic or a monarchy?' Franklin replied, 'A republic, if you can keep it.' Our responsibility is to keep it."
Nice....I think....
But what does that have to do with my post which you quoted...?

In my post which you quoted...
I was giving my answers as to : "Why does someone need to own ________?"
What you posted , does not seem to apply to my answer .

Not intending to be rude or sound rude here...
I am just unclear / uncertain of what you are actually saying here in the post I quoted and to be honest , your thread in general.
Andy

clarifications to annihilate the confusion

I want to know what to properly reply to people who ask something like "why does a citizen need an AR type gun?"
How should I verbally justify or defend lawful ownership of such guns by The People? I need to know how to
verbally defend the AR against those who think they should be heavily regulated or banned.

What might you say whenever folks ask, "What do you need that thing for?"

I don't know what everybody here owns and don't consider it my business to know.

By ambassador I mean advocate. How might one be a good advocate for AR ownership?
Personally, I think the 2nd A alone is a perfect reason not to outlaw or restrict ownership of the AR.

Well, I tend to go with the "need" doesn't have anything to do with it answer. But for more info to be an "advocate" please refer to the link posted earlier in the thread by Joe13... everything you need to be a good advocate can be found there.

There are #4 waterfowl loads that are even different from #4 birdshot in size? I do need to learn a lot more about shotgun loads, sir. Exactly how many different "#4" shot sizes are there in the world of scattergunning? My Federal box of shells has "4 SHOT" printed on the top of the box with a picture of a quail on the box. I presume they aren't waterfowl loads.I only bought ($8.00/box of 25) those because a certain gun store employee recommended them to me for apartment security. Here's a stock image of what I have:
View attachment 735621

I'm seeking a recommendation of what I really should have if there is more appropriate and available load for my purpose.

Despite the quail on the box, those are good waterfowl loads... but they may not say so because most waterfowl hunting requires steel shot today. And #4 high base "heavy field load" is also good for pheasant if one doesn't have #5 available.

But yes, those will be fine for home defense IMO. Other choices may do as well but in your brother's apartment, #4 shouldn't overpenetrate. So, good choice. Don't worry about something better.

Nice....I think....
But what does that have to do with my post which you quoted...?

In my post which you quoted...
I was giving my answers as to : "Why does someone need to own ________?"
What you posted , does not seem to apply to my answer .

Not intending to be rude or sound rude here...
I am just unclear / uncertain of what you are actually saying here in the post I quoted and to be honest , your thread in general.
Andy

I never intended it to have anything to do with price of coffee in Jamaica. It was on my mind and I felt the need to share it here. You brought up the Constitution and that invoked thoughts of the Founding Fathers and what they said. The other moderator jumbled my other thread into this one which originally intended by me to explore the practical purposes for having an AR type gun. Sure we all agree here that we can have one because the 2nd A says we can.

I never intended it to have anything to do with price of coffee in Jamaica. It was on my mind and I felt the need to share it here.

Swell...
I don't mind being quoted and even asked for more details and the like...
But to be quoted and used in someone else's postings for no reason....Please do not do that again.
Andy

I wholeheartedly agree with that poster to explain to others whenever they ask such questions. I'm frankly worried that some tyrant will downright try to violate the second amendment. The federal government, some states and some local jurisdictions have done that already: National Firearms Act of 1934, Gun Control Act of 1968, the Brady Bill, the Clinton "assault weapons" ban, mandatory handgun registration in California at DOJ, mandatory permit to own a handgun in New York City and so on...the list of anti-gun laws is seemingly longer than the Nile river. Must you select only a handgun that's listed on a state-mandated roster in Idaho or Montana? I don't think so. If the Bill of Rights is lost than the Republic will be lost. Without Our Bill of Rights, America would be no more glorious than some banana republic in the tropics under some military dictator.

Last Edited:
sorry, I goofed...anyway, who do you think will go to the World Series this year?
The World series...
AHhh...
The Cincinnati Reds...I really love baseball ....
My favorite part is when they hit a field goal in the end zone , along the baseline while passing the ball into the goal box , all while doing this on ice with tennis racket....:eek: :D

Well.....maybe I made all that up...:D
I do like baseball and we have a great minor league team here...be nice to watch them again with this all over...:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads