JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...Is there a better 12 ga. load for apartment settings? Is #1 Buck better choice?

Asked by OP, in THE THREAD OP STARTED titled:

Which kind of AR platform is recommended for the home defender?

1DCA950B-C032-40CD-B3DE-5A66F75DFFB4.png

At the risk of further thread derailment...

it is wise to note that :
# 4 bird shot is at times confused with #4 buck shot.....
And like all firearms , in regards to what load is "best" or "better" for a shotgun....
What patterns or works the best in one shotgun...may not hold true for another shotgun.

Try different loadings at various distances to see how you and your shotgun shoot with them.
Andy

Asked by OP, in THE THREAD OP STARTED titled:

Which kind of AR platform is recommended for the home defender?

View attachment 735570
Yep, it's odd how this thread detoured from the main avenue of paramilitary-style rifles and carbines to the back alley of police pump shotguns. But often, a police pump is a common home defense long gun. The AR seems like the other biggie home defense long gun of choice this century. It's growing a progressively bigger following year by year. Some fear there might be another "assault weapons" ban in the near future. The police pump that graces the dashes of cruisers might seem old hat to some. One might ask: Which is better for home defense, an AR or a tactical shotgun?

It's like the old question of a revolver vs an auto and .45 ACP vs 9mm. Back in the late 1980's, gun magazines were fraught with such articles about this controversy. Many old timers enamored by Old 45 then said 9mm was a pipsqueak round as a "man stopper" for consideration. There were shiploads of new "wondernine" pistols on the market then and that was the new Magic Bullet for handguns then. I didn't believe in 9mm then and favored .45 ACP but now 9mm is par for the course in a concealable handgun.

Last Edited:
My local gun shop has a brand new Colt M4 Carbine on the wall right now for sale.
Jeepers, you're pretty lucky to find that.
A bird in the hand is a lot better than anything else that you can't get.
If the price is reasonable, there's nothing at all wrong with a Colt.
And, with real Colts, if you don't like it they are really easy to sell without taking a beating on the price.

Yep, it's odd how this thread detoured from the main avenue of paramilitary-style rifles and carbines to the back alley of police pump shotguns. But often, a police pump is a common home defense long gun. The AR seems like the other biggie home defense long gun of choice this century. It's growing a progressively bigger following year by year. Some fear there might be another "assault weapons" ban in the near future. The police pump that graces the dashes of cruisers might seem old hat to some. One might ask: Which is better for home defense, an AR or a tactical shotgun?

It's like the old question of a revolver vs an auto and .45 ACP vs 9mm.

Well, we could change your thread title if you like.

"I don't know much about firearms & have questions."

How's that sound to you?

Google is your friend:
Those #4 birdshot shells I've had for three years now. They were recommended to me by the guy at the LGS because they did not have #1 buckshot in stock at the time and he said to me this was "the best load he had" in stock for home defense in apartment settings. I Asked about #1 buck at that time because some Google research of mine seems to have recommended it then. I guess local gun shops with good ol' boys who shoot the bull aren't always the best source for sound firearms knowledge and advice.

For anyone out there who is considering the situations outlined in the OP / this thread....
And....
Already own a firearm....

I would suggest that they not worry about what gun is" best " or what firearm to buy next.

I would suggest that they :

Buy whatever ammo they can...and practice with the gun and ammo that they have , right now.

Practice at varying distances and varying lighting conditions...as well as off the bench...

Practice carrying , using and maintaining the firearm already owned , safely and effectively ...in the environment that you expect to use it in.

Try , if possible different ammo , both brands and styles , to see what works with you and your firearm...
Remember that what works for someone else , may not be the "best" for you....

Our current events will pass....but if you have a firearm now...you need to learn to use what you have....
Because if something like the OP's situations happen....if you don't know how to use what you have now..then it don't matter what you wanted in the future.
Andy

Well, we could change your thread title if you like.

"I don't know much about firearms & have questions."

How's that sound to you?
I'm not going to say any more on this thread regarding AR's. I have significant input from people here already on that subject to make informed decisions. Right now I am going to consult with a local firearms safety instructor and ask what he recommends for defensive shotgun loads in apartment scenarios. He might tell me to forget the shotgun and get a 9mm loaded with hollow points. I'll report back later. I won't beat to death the AR anymore here.

Last Edited:
I'm not going to say anymore on this thread regarding AR's. I have significant input from people here already on that subject to make informed decisions. Right now I am going to consult with a local firearms safety instructor and ask what he recommend for defensive shotgun loads in apartment scenarios. I'll report back later. I won't beat to death the AR anymore here.

Oh no need.

Your thread has been renamed & moved to the general firearms section.

I think the "I don't know much about firearms" part is a bit insulting and condescending. Not knowing "everything under the sun about guns" doesn't make person a complete idiot. I do humbly state I don't know all there is to know about firearms. To be fair to me the thread should be headed: "there are some things I don't understand well about firearms and some helpful input would be much appreciated". I strive to be a safe and responsible American gun owner.

Done.

I have already acknowledged that the AR-15 is a good defense gun for those who are not particularly strong as women, disabled folks and old folks. Please pardon me if anything I stated was taken in distaste. Believe me, I'm trying to find every reason under the sun that the AR-15 is indeed practical in order to counter those who would want to ban it. I'm compiling a list for all the practical reasons to own an AR-15. I want to learn how to be an ambassador for the AR-15 and defend it, but I don't want to lie to people and say it's something it really isn't.
We all own AR's. You're trying to sell to the choir?
Kinda confused on what you're going on about.

Not with 1 shotgun and 25 rounds of total Ammo in your house....
Then what American citizens should strive to do is arm themselves to the best of their ability against such possibilities.

One's such abilities will be predicated upon many factors such as legal ramifications, economic means, equipment availability on the market, training availability, physical ability, mental competence and so on. Beyond firearms and ammo considerations are other security measures: trained guard dogs, deadbolts on doors, electronic security systems, barbed wire around perimeter. I've heard of defense in layers: often the gun shoud be the last resort.

We all own AR's. You're trying to sell to the choir?
Kinda confused on what you're going on about.

clarifications to annihilate the confusion

I want to know what to properly reply to people who ask something like "why does a citizen need an AR type gun?"
How should I verbally justify or defend lawful ownership of such guns by The People? I need to know how to
verbally defend the AR against those who think they should be heavily regulated or banned.

What might you say whenever folks ask, "What do you need that thing for?"

I don't know what everybody here owns and don't consider it my business to know.

By ambassador I mean advocate. How might one be a good advocate for AR ownership?
Personally, I think the 2nd A alone is a perfect reason not to outlaw or restrict ownership of the AR.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads