JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most ranchers and farmers do... but they generally just let people pay them to massacre the little cuties (er, beasts) on their property. The weird thing is that I was having a hard time following the logic of it all, even BEFORE they combined threads. I'll bet those new to the thread are really lost!!!
Back in the early 80s, there was an old farmer that would pay me and my older brother $1 for each groundhog tail we brought him from his cow pasture.
We'd set up behind a downed tree at the high end of his pasture, and wait for the little blighters to pop their heads up, then WHAMMO! Groundhog guts everywhere! :s0140:
I was using my Colt AR-15A2 Sporter II. It was my first AR-pattern rifle. Still have it.
She's a safe queen now, although she's not very pretty. More like a safe chambermaid... :oops:

Back in the early 80s, there was an old farmer that would pay my brother and I $1 for each groundhog tail we brought him from his cow pasture.
We'd set up behind a downed tree at the high end of his pasture, and wait for the little blighters to pop their heads up, then WHAMMO! Groundhog guts everywhere! :s0140:
I was using my Colt AR-15A2 Sporter II. It was my first AR-pattern rifle. Still have it. She's a safe queen now, although she's not very pretty. More like a safe chambermaid... :oops:

I'll bet. Groundhogs and rockchucks (marmots) are a whole nother level up from ground squirrel damage. A real danger to horses, cows, and equipt. I shot a bunch of them with my AR varmint gun, my .22-250, and my .22lr... unfortunately, I never got any farmer to pay me to do it. No talent fo negotiation I guess.;):)

I miss the days of youth shooting digger squirrels with my 10/22! Spent many hours out in the fields and thousands of rounds down range!:s0155:

My Dad, not so much. He just caught them, put firecrackers up their rear and lit 'em up. They looked like little gymnasts doing flips when those crackers would go off!

I miss the days of youth shooting digger squirrels with my 10/22! Spent many hours out in the fields and thousands of rounds down range!:s0155:

My Dad, not so much. He just caught them, put firecrackers up their rear and lit 'em up. They looked like little gymnasts doing flips when those crackers would go off!

I use to do that with lizards, not the up the butt thing, but firecrackers yes. I'm real surprised I'm walking around free today instead of being the subject of a James Patterson or Ann Rule book. ;)

Back on topic, back in Montana we'd look in the newspaper classifieds for free stuff and it was happy days when we got goat/s. BBQ them whole and invite everyone over. They're really good unless it's an old billy goat.
Matter a fact, I got one and made a burlap backpack for it before hiking into The Bob.. it was loaded down with BBQ sauce and ammo.

@GoatFarmer ... here ya go:

I have, a couple thousand rounds of Fiocchi Extrema 40 gr V-Max .223 ammo on hand. Thinking about selling off some of it, if somebody wants to pay .60 per round for it. It is spectacular on small varmints at 3,600 fps out of a 26" barrel and much more accurate than any FMJ I have ever run. Functions fine and accurate in both my 1 in 8" twist AR's, too. (S&W Sport and Stag Model 6).

Plenty accurate for small varmints out of the right rifle, but $0.60 per round. That .17HMR or 22Mag looking better???

BBQ them whole and invite everyone over.
I saw this in AFG; crazy as phuq! An old dude slaughtered this goat, then threw the entire thing, blood, guts, and all, into a big fire he had going in his "yard".
Turned it over a few times over the course of a few hours, then came and dragged it out of the fire, gutted it, and the local dogs went eff'in crazy fighting over the innards.
Next, he skins it, now that all the hair has been burned off, and he throws it back into the fire for a couple more hours. People start showing up in all sort of fancy colored outfits, and they all had a big feast that afternoon. I watched all of this from the top of the Hesco wall. Funny stuff... I may have pics...

Last Edited:
Back on topic, back in Montana we'd look in the newspaper classifieds for free stuff and it was happy days when we got goat/s. BBQ them whole and invite everyone over. They're really good unless it's an old billy goat.
Matter a fact, I got one and made a burlap backpack for it before hiking into The Bob.. it was loaded down with BBQ sauce and ammo.

There is no topic in this thread Silly Boy!! It's a stream of consciousness thing even before the thread merge.

Anyway, I've had BBQ goat and loved it!! The USCG base at Elizabeth City NC had a big celebration/cookout each Coast Guard Day on Aug 4th... my birthday and that of Prez O'bummer (now that's a real bummer!!). The cookout featured a 500gal barrel that they had sawed in half and made into a covered bbq. We had goat and a pig. And $0.10 Stroh's beer. It was great!!!

Last Edited:
So, you made his carry his own method of dying and the sauce for his own meat too. Good one! You cook him over a spit? I wonder what the people that gave you those free goats had in mind??? ;)
We brought heaps of ammo, guns, you name it. Month long backpacking trip in griz country.
We got a runty GSD from the pound for night bear alert.. shot a deer to eat.. and the dog ATE THE WHOLE FREAKING DEER.
good times

We brought heaps of ammo, guns, you name it. Month long backpacking trip in griz country.
We got a runty GSD from the pound for night bear alert.. shot a deer to eat.. and the dog ATE THE WHOLE FREAKING DEER.
good times

My Dog is on the to your house .

Last Edited:
RE : Beating that "old/dead horse".

Some observations about Army vs Marines.....their rifles and training.

One rifle to do it all?
Nah.
But note what he says about how the military's vision/doctrine/thinking has changed.

Aloha, Mark

RE : Beating that "old/dead horse".

Some observations about Army vs Marines.....their rifles and training.

One rifle to do it all?
Nah.
But note what he says about how the military's vision/doctrine/thinking has changed.

Aloha, Mark
50 minutes... :eek: You got Cliff Notes? I can't sit through all of that...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top