JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well we find comic book nerds annoying. Besides FPS's are a great way to enjoy simulating shooting firearms without spend $.25-$.50 a shot. Plus you actually get to kill something.

God I hate it when people equate video games with shooting experience. It is nothing near the same. It is like saying reading Penthouse letters is a great way to have sex. Not only are you NOT having sex, but you are learning all the wrong things and getting all kinds of wrong ideas.

I find video games to be very entertaining. I do not find comic books to be entertaining. I find the tv show entertaining- at least in part because I typically enjoy movies/games/tv shows about zombies. I don't know a single person that equates playing Call of Duty with actual war, and I don't know anyone that would rather kill pixels than targets- it's just more convenient and cost effective most of the time...

I find video games to be very entertaining. I do not find comic books to be entertaining. I find the tv show entertaining- at least in part because I typically enjoy movies/games/tv shows about zombies. I don't know a single person that equates playing Call of Duty with actual war, and I don't know anyone that would rather kill pixels than targets- it's just more convenient and cost effective most of the time...
Really? Then you need to read the internet forums more or watch the gun channels on YouTube. they are crawling with 14-16 year olds that think they have firearms knowledge because they play video games.

Wait - you're saying that I can't Akimbo a pair of Glock 18's, shoot from the hip, and make head shots at 50 yards? I can't do a drop in "Rapid Fire" mod that will triple my G18's fire rate? There's no Steady Aim mods? At least tell me there's a recoil mod! A sod it, I guess I'll have to make do with extended mags and a tactical knife...

But don't tell me I can't have a 240 round magazine on my FAD along with a thermal sight and a suppressor! Wait, maybe I should stick with a CM901 with Acog (even if it does have the wrong reticule) and the can.

But don't tell me that I can't mount a suppressor on my Stryker 12 guage and make it shoot like a whisper! Then again, the shotgun is worthless beyond 20 feet, so what does it matter, right?

Love playing vid games, but definitely not because they are a realistic representation of war, guns, sex (well, there is that one game the adult industry created...) or kung fu fighting. They're just fun. Except Kayne & Lynch games. They had the potential to be great fun, but were made so maddeningly retardedly hard that they sucked the fun right out of the game. Same with the campaign for Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Peek around a corner and BAM - head shot from some sleeping sentry 30 yards down the hall.

Back on topic.... I hope Rick, Carl, Lori and Sophia's mom get eaten. I hope Daryl finds Merle. I hope Michon isn't made to be a stupid character in the TV show, and I hope Glen and his cute girlie don't get eaten, but Glen does get a bit more badass. 2 seasons of Rick being full of weak sauce and fail have left me wishing Shane hadn't stood there yammering for five minutes, and just popped him as soon as he drew down on him. I liked Shane a lot more than Rick, despite Shane being an *** hole.

Really? Then you need to read the internet forums more or watch the gun channels on YouTube. they are crawling with 14-16 year olds that think they have firearms knowledge because they play video games.

Well, I learned a lot about firearms from various video games. Most notably Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, at a fairly young age. I also had a .22 even then, and was a regular shooter. Still, the basic knowledge of what I was looking at and what its primary use is, as far as military firearms, helped out quite a bit when I enlisted in the Army. I'm now familiar with all common systems, accessories, and their basic functionality. As long as you take your video game experience for what it is, (Namely, entertainment, with a little bit of useful information accidentally thrown in with the misleading and unrealistic aspects,) and don't assume you know everything, it can help. I think a lot of responsible and experienced firearm owners under 30 got a good portion of their first exposure to weapons systems through video games. There's useful information in some Video Games that concentrate on realism, such as magazine capacities, effective ranges, stopping power, etc. It's all hypothetical, and not real, but a discerning mind should be able to differentiate between things video games can teach you and things they can't.

Granted, Tom Clancy games (at least the first few) were dedicated to realism much more than games like counterstrike, but I don't think it's fair to completely throw out the concept of video games as a useful learning tool. Hell, even the Army uses a "Video Game" as part of training.
<broken link removed>

To keep this post on-topic: The Walking Dead is a great comic/show, and I've enjoyed every bit of it and can't wait for Season 3 to get here. Also, Shane was better for the group than Rick. Rick's crappy decision-making just manages to get more people killed while he's trying to save everyone. You CAN'T save everyone Rick. you have to choose.

I've enjoyed every bit of it and can't wait for Season 3 to get here. Also, Shane was better for the group than Rick. Rick's crappy decision-making just manages to get more people killed while he's trying to save everyone. You CAN'T save everyone Rick. you have to choose.

I don't really think either are good or bad leaders. I just think people should figure out who they're going to follow (if not themselves) and quit bubbleguming about the outcome of their choice. Rick shouldn't be forcing people to stay with him, and they shouldn't be complaining and blaming if they choose to. Although I don't agree with the new Ricktatorship, I'm excited to see where they go with it.

I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread from its original purpose. For that I apologize to the OP and the community. I just knew the tv show was about zombies and there is a good zombie game that I like to play.

Obviously sitting with a controller in your hands is nothing like actually using a firearm in real-life. I used a poor choice of words when I said it was "simulating". However First Person Shooters is what got me into firearms, maybe sad to say for a lot of the older folks on this forum, but I wouldn't doubt there are other young people who like firearms for similar reasoning.

I just like the idea that you get to "use" a representation of a real-life weapon in the games. One of the reasons I like the FiveseveN so much was because, contrary to everyone else using (in real life) a highly impractical desert eagle, I liked the FiveseveN in the game the most.

I play a game called Red Orchestra 2 where there is no ammo counter, no cross-hair, bullet drop and bullet spin are represented, you are forced to use your iron sights if you want accurate shots and the guy Im playing with has a much steadier aim in the game than I ever would in real life, but some of the maps the men are dressed as if it is 20 degrees below 0 and Im playing it in a comfortable basement so it is nothing close to a simulation.

I don't really think either are good or bad leaders. I just think people should figure out who they're going to follow (if not themselves) and quit bubbleguming about the outcome of their choice. Rick shouldn't be forcing people to stay with him, and they shouldn't be complaining and blaming if they choose to. Although I don't agree with the new Ricktatorship, I'm excited to see where they go with it.

I think the problem is that Rick had a moral compass, but no backbone whatsoever. Shane had plenty of backbone, but no moral compass. The whole group would have been better off letting Daryl lead them since he seems to have a good combo of both.

I wish they had a nice selection of handguns, like they do in Counter-Strike. I would prefer an accurately portrayed FiveseveN due to its high magazine capacity, low recoil, and accuracy even at long ranges (for a pistol). THe regular pistol, well I play it on expert, every campaign when I do play, so outside of expert/realism, Im playing it on the hardest setting possible and the regular pistol, the 9mm glock, doesn't drop a zombie at all unless you hit it in the head. A frying pan makes a better weapon (literally) than the 9mm, I lose it asap for either a melee or the Desert Eagle, unless that Melee weapon is the Police Baton, which is the crappiest melee weapon in the game, and the cricket bat is pretty bad too.

Also the magazine capacities are really odd in the game, 40 rounds for a AK47, I usually associate that firearm with a 30 round magazine, and the 50 round magazine for the AR15, again an odd magazine capacity for that firearm. The damages to zombies are portrayed differently per firearm, the best weapon in the game has to be a AK47 with a laser sight, but I like how I can level 30 zombies with a short burst from the auto-shotgun.

I wish they would pick up some of those weapons when ever they walk by a checkpoint that had been overrun.
The problem is the show is written by and catering to the comic book nerds who think characters sporting katanas with mad karate skills would be the survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

In that setting, using a weapon that makes little or no noise does make sense, unfortunately, except for crossbow, most require some dedicated instruction and skill.
Crossbows were taught to the French peasants in little more than a day. Bows in general, edged weapons and other types of hand weapons took months if not years to master.
I, for one, would avoid any overweight, mother's-basement-living, comicon-attending, wanna-be-ninja, with a $100 katana like the plague.

Iedged weapons and other types of hand weapons took months if not years to master.
I, for one, would avoid any overweight, mother's-basement-living, comicon-attending, wanna-be-ninja, with a $100 katana like the plague.

Blades take years to master when fighting against an armed opponent.

In this case you're fighting against slow moving unarmed dead people with heads the consistency of a rotted pumpkin.
It doesnt take a "ninja" to be proficient.
Think baseball bat with a sharp edge. It wouldnt take a major league slugger to be proficient.

I dont know where the show is going with Michonne, but the comic book version of her is anything but a ninja.

Playboy just published a 6 page origin story for her.
If you're interested: <broken link removed>

Roman gladius, katana or spear (hand-held, not throwing spear) would all work well as weapons. Don't have to reload, gives you enough reach to stay out of their arms reach, fairly light and easy to use with either a downward or horizontal chop or thrust in the case of the spear, and will probably penetrate the skull with one blow. It seems the blows from blunt weapons tend to need to be repeated on the show, so I wouldn't necessarily go with a mace or flail, plus they tend to be heavier.

They're not defending themselves so it doesn't take a high level of skill to use a hand held weapon effectively against them.

elsie

I think the problem is that Rick had a moral compass, but no backbone whatsoever. Shane had plenty of backbone, but no moral compass. The whole group would have been better off letting Daryl lead them since he seems to have a good combo of both.

I think you're right. And I love Daryl's character. I hope he doesn't end up corrupted or killed.

The problem is the show is written by and catering to the comic book nerds who think characters sporting katanas with mad karate skills would be the survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

I agree. I kinda sense a shift from realistic to fantasy with the appearance of that hooded character with the leashed zombie pets. If they're going to go stupid and fantasy, they might as well run it on sci-fi. (erm... syfy <--looks like siffy, short for the syphilis channel lol) I hope that isn't the case though. There's plenty of dumb fantasy B horror out there already. I wanna see them keep it more realistic. Kinda like "The Road" but with zombies.

Btw, kinda bugs me the way they're using the show as a platform to launch that comic book men show. Not really interested in watching old nerds talk about comics.

Blades take years to master when fighting against an armed opponent.

In this case you're fighting against slow moving unarmed dead people with heads the consistency of a rotted pumpkin.
It doesnt take a "ninja" to be proficient.
Think baseball bat with a sharp edge. It wouldnt take a major league slugger to be proficient.

That's funny, I was just having a conversation this morning with someone about "baseball bat" sword skills. You're right, all you would need to do is be able to swing it. No real proficiency would be required to do some mad zombie slaying.

I wanna see them keep it more realistic. Kinda like "The Road" but with zombies.

Therein lies the difference.

The Road was a horrible, horrible movie. I'd hope that they cancel and box the entire show before making it anything like the road.

That's funny, I was just having a conversation this morning with someone about "baseball bat" sword skills. You're right, all you would need to do is be able to swing it. No real proficiency would be required to do some mad zombie slaying.

Exactly. :s0155:

I've figured out how to watch it, I hit the mute button every time two people get off by themselves to talk.

I read how AMC slashed the budget AND doubled the first seasons episodes which is why the original writers left. They're stretching the show with filler dialog and agonizingly slow development. Now that they've finally figured out edged weapons, Rick found his backbone and Michonne arrived things might warm up. I'll still keep the remote handy though. Too bad they can't find someone with Tarantino style dialog skills.

I also prefered The Roads realism. AMC probably figures a series needs to be less dark to keep the average viewer coming back.

Therein lies the difference. The Road was a horrible, horrible movie. I'd hope that they cancel and box the entire show before making it anything like the road.

I disagree. The realistic world decay, isolation, desperation, real-life threats, fear, and struggle just to survive another day, and make do when there's nothing left to scavenge in The Road was done a lot better than The Walking dead zombie soap opera. The Walking Dead characters have amenities, hot showers, unrealistically sanitary living conditions with medical supplies, a magically assumed food source that is never explained, and ammo coming from who knows where. (That black bag rick packed from the beginning that was mostly filled with rifles? Please....) I'd just like the show to be more realistic and gritty, and focus more on surviving. The show is kinda like if 28 Days Later had been made into a series.... only with less realism more whiny p***ies.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top