JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My current truck gun is still a critter gitter (10/22 take down with various 22lr loads). Lives in my truck with a simple back pack survival kit, case of water, tools, etc.

But in the cab of my truck I do keep several extra magazines for my glock 19.

I have no problem with people that practice at 50-100 yards with a pistol. It's nice to know what you can do if that's your only weapon. And you may be surprised.

But that being said. If I'm in a 100 yard shootout, I hope the other guy has a handgun and I have my rifle. Not even close accuracy wise , for me at that distance.

I remember when I was younger, my father and I drove into a Safeway parking lot in Bend. We parked a few spots down from a big old lifted pick up truck.
The guy had two or three guns in a rack in his back window. Both windows were down. My father commented on how dumb that was, and how easy it would be to reach in and take the guys guns (hypothetically, my father is not a thief).

About that time, a Doberman stood up from his nap in the front seat. When he yawned, I'm pretty sure I could've fit my whole head in his mouth. I don't think that gentleman had any problems with people taking his guns.
Easy, problem solved! Get a truck gun and a Doberman... ;)

To me the word "truck gun" does not imply that it stays in the truck. It just means it's the one thrown in the truck when I leave home.

I am pretty cautious about leaving a gun where it can be stolen and the time one of my firearms is left in a truck unattended is very short.

I suppose the argument that leaving mags and ammo in the rig is safer than leaving a firearm has merit, but my handgun will never be as capable as my shotgun or AR pistol.
I do carry an extra loaded mag in the truck along with extra ammo, but in no way will a handgun replace a carbine or shotgun when the crap goes down.

100yd proficiency with a pistol... No problem.:s0060:
Still trying to find the right holster for appendix carry though. B871412E-08AF-4AC3-AA07-8B2115245F98-1155-00000252294C01A2_tmp.jpg

I agree that it's not a good idea to leave a gun haphazardly in your truck. Losing your gun to a thief is bad, having your gun in the hands of a criminal that could use it in future crime is much worse.
That said if you take proper precautions, like having a secret "hidey hole" or better yet hidden and secure locked compartment... that's another story.
A guy like me with 2 cars and 4 drivers, 2 of which are in high school, makes leaving a gun in either car impossible. For now I have a "Get Home" bag, and if I feel it's prudent I'll throw in the BO pistol for the trip... I do have plenty of ammo stashed in the emergency kit too. When I grow up and get my own truck, I'll have a locking drawer in the trunk/bed, or something like this...
5418A3CF-B7CD-4FE4-BFEB-4647129CAD12-1155-00000262BB43AEF5_tmp.jpg

When I think of a gun I'd consider leaving in a car/truck, I'd be thinking rifle. But as has been mentioned, if I need to leave my car and take that with me on foot - say trying to get home during an SHTF event like the big quake, I don't want to run afoul of the law, if I can avoid it. I really like the idea of the AR pistol - compact, legally concealable, 30 round mags, and, if necessary can be taken down even further for storage in a bag, etc. I don't see much reason to engage someone past 20 or so yards, but who knows what kind of sh!t may come your way, and if it goes south, I'd much rather have rifle power in a compact package. As much as I like PCC's, for this purpose, I'd much rather have .223/5.56 or maybe .300BLK I like .223/5.56 because the ammo is relatively light weight and more than adequate for various self-defense scenarios, even in a shorter barrel.

I've got an AR pistol, but it's in 9mm - I'd like to build one in .223/5.56 - maybe that will become a vehicle gun down the road - I just need to decide on a good way to secure it from your average smash and grab type thieves.

That said if you take proper precautions, like having a secret "hidey hole" or better yet hidden and secure locked compartment... that's another story.

When I grow up and get my own truck, I'll have a locking drawer in the trunk/bed, or something like this...
View attachment 389242

I have something similar in my car, but no lock on it. Not sure how much good a lock will do on my car - they would have to work hard to get to that area - you can't open it without the key fob or using a pry bar, and you can't see what is in that area from outside the car unless you have the rear door open already, and you can't see the hidden compartment with it open.

If your engaging targets at 100yards for "defense" your money would be better spent on Legal fees, because you spending life in a concrete box

It isn't just about distance, it is also about firepower. My 'truck gun' for these scenarios is a PS90, and being able to quickly send up to 50 rds of 5.7x28 back at someone may encourage them to break off.

Unlikely though.

Truck gun, one of my good old reliable SKS rifles, with a inexpensive folding stock and a original star marked 10 round magazine for starters. Add about 75 rds of ammunition. Or a folder AK, with a couple of magazines and some loose ammo in a small pack, or bag. With a light weight jacket, or a longer Carhart coat, you could just about hide it.:) Maybe have a tennis racket bag, for a carry bag.

I see the truck gun posts from time to time. I wouldn't want to leave a rifle or shotgun or any other gun in a car in Seattle's down town core, or most other places for that matter. I've seen people who had their cars broken into and weapons stolen.

I feel you should be proficient with your handgun up to 100 yards. Carry extra mags, ammo, etc. in the car instead of a truck gun. I'd rather have a ton of high capacity magazines with 20-30+ round capacity and a few hundred extra rounds of ammo. Sure, a rifle with expensive optics, plate carrier, etc. would be nice, but it's a balance of having gear you will likely need and not getting your expensive stuff stolen.

I actually agree with Bushman. I cant think of many situations where the real risk of needing a long gun is less than the risk of theft... or the complications of getting home on foot. Even an AR pistol. Its funny we just had a thread here where someone asked if its smart to stow a gun in their car and the majority here said no it will get stolen. Dedicated firearm for your vehicle?

I also agree you should be proficient at longer ranges with your handgun. 100yds is pushing it, but 50yds is practical and there are many places where defensive shots at distance are possible. Preparation to Stop a Mass Shooter

Extra mag or ammo, water, snacks, jacket... are much more valuable to stowe in your car and not a huge loss if stolen.

I actually agree with Bushman. I cant think of many situations where the real risk of needing a long gun is less than the risk of theft... or the complications of getting home on foot. Even an AR pistol. Its funny we just had a thread here where someone asked if its smart to stow a gun in their car and the majority here said no it will get stolen. Dedicated firearm for your vehicle?

I also agree you should be proficient at longer ranges with your handgun. 100yds is pushing it, but 50yds is practical and there are many places where defensive shots at distance are possible. Preparation to Stop a Mass Shooter

Extra mag or ammo, water, snacks, jacket... are much more valuable to stowe in your car and not a huge loss if stolen.

50yds handgun is absolutely reasonable/practical, 100yds, not so much.

I see the truck gun posts from time to time. I wouldn't want to leave a rifle or shotgun or any other gun in a car in Seattle's down town core, or most other places for that matter. I've seen people who had their cars broken into and weapons stolen.

I feel you should be proficient with your handgun up to 100 yards. Carry extra mags, ammo, etc. in the car instead of a truck gun. I'd rather have a ton of high capacity magazines with 20-30+ round capacity and a few hundred extra rounds of ammo. Sure, a rifle with expensive optics, plate carrier, etc. would be nice, but it's a balance of having gear you will likely need and not getting your expensive stuff stolen.

I can't help but notice that this post sounds an awful lot like what anti gunners say....

"Why do you THINK you need to carry a gun when the chance of you needing it is so small!?"

It's the same mentality.

Thankfully we live in America...and I get to decide what I THINK I need.

And my opinion of that changed dramatically when they started flying freaking jet liners into buildings...and blowing up marathons...and killing coworkers at company Christmas parties...and executing 50 (approx) people at a nightclub...and driving large trucks through crowds of people...and randomly executing three men on the streets of Fresno because they were white and because Religion of Peace. :rolleyes:

Far be it from me to question or challenge what another grown man decides he needs to protect himself and his family. If you are comfortable betting your life on what you will, "likely need," I wish you luck and I truly hope that you are not wrong.

I, however, have never been a particularly lucky person. So when it comes to my life and the lives of my family, I'm going to plan for the worst possible scenario.

PEACE...through superior firepower.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads