JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see the truck gun posts from time to time. I wouldn't want to leave a rifle or shotgun or any other gun in a car in Seattle's down town core, or most other places for that matter. I've seen people who had their cars broken into and weapons stolen.

I feel you should be proficient with your handgun up to 100 yards. Carry extra mags, ammo, etc. in the car instead of a truck gun. I'd rather have a ton of high capacity magazines with 20-30+ round capacity and a few hundred extra rounds of ammo. Sure, a rifle with expensive optics, plate carrier, etc. would be nice, but it's a balance of having gear you will likely need and not getting your expensive stuff stolen.

Point of a truck gun is to have a long gun available too you if you need one and at a price point that if someone cuts what you locked it with that you won't be out a lot of money.

I don't keep one in the car every day - generally only on trips out of town.

I don't own any guns any more that will take hi cap mags, so until that time I'm happy with a shotgun with a cable lock thru it, under the backseats for trips.

I only have a "truck gun" when I am mostly going to stay in the truck. Otherwise, I do something like what you are talking about. I have a carry bag where I keep a bunch of loaded magazines for my carry gun. I also keep a few loaded AR magazines with the idea that if S really did HTF, I just might come accross Americas most popular rifle in my travels. I also got a couple boxes of buckshot in there.

I only have a "truck gun" when I am mostly going to stay in the truck. Otherwise, I do something like what you are talking about. I have a carry bag where I keep a bunch of loaded magazines for my carry gun. I also keep a few loaded AR magazines with the idea that if S really did HTF, I just might come accross Americas most popular rifle in my travels. I also got a couple boxes of buckshot in there.

He also keeps one of these for entertainment... in case he breaks down out in the forest.

IMG_4601.JPG

"I feel you should be proficient with your handgun up to 100 yards."

Wow. What exactly is threat at 100 yards? Hand guns are for short distances. If you're a big game hand gun hunter that's one thing, that's a specialty. Hand guns are intended for short distance defence. Soldiers dont qualify at 100 yards with a pistol. There's also a reason why infantry are issued rifles instead of pistols.

"I feel you should be proficient with your handgun up to 100 yards."

Wow. What exactly is threat at 100 yards? Hand guns are for short distances. If you're a big game hand gun hunter that's one thing, that's a specialty. Hand guns are intended for short distance defence. Soldiers dont qualify at 100 yards with a pistol. There's also a reason why infantry are issued rifles instead of pistols.

Some Infantry are issued both, and "back in the day" part of the qual was out to 50yds... and that was with 1911A1's

I see the truck gun posts from time to time. I wouldn't want to leave a rifle or shotgun or any other gun in a car in Seattle's down town core, or most other places for that matter. I've seen people who had their cars broken into and weapons stolen.

I feel you should be proficient with your handgun up to 100 yards. Carry extra mags, ammo, etc. in the car instead of a truck gun. I'd rather have a ton of high capacity magazines with 20-30+ round capacity and a few hundred extra rounds of ammo. Sure, a rifle with expensive optics, plate carrier, etc. would be nice, but it's a balance of having gear you will likely need and not getting your expensive stuff stolen.

This is a too each his own but I do keep a "truck gun" in my vehicle. Where it's kept some smash and grab doper is not going to find it. In other words it's not lying on the floor. It stays there 24/7. Only comes out to be cleaned or shot occasionally, or when I swap vehicles. When I swap out now and then the stuff I keep for "emergencies" goes into the other car. Now as for being proficient at 100 yards with a handgun those days are long past for my eyes. Only handgun I still own I would even try that with is an old 8 inch tube .357. With open sights I very much doubt I could hit much reliably with it any more. If all hell broke loose I guess I could probably hope to hit a car with it at that range but I am NOT going to be carrying that damn gun around.

So in the car at all times is a PCC in 9mm. Now that I could do OK with at maybe 50 yards if all hell was breaking loose. For someone to steal it not knowing where it is they would really have to be digging. Chance I am willing to take. Of course I don't go to Seattle any more by car. Rarely go up there on the bus any more to play. Place is turning into a giant open serwer.

I feel like shooting a C-96 is pointless unless it's at 50 yards...
I get what you're saying, and I kind of agree, but I don't like how you're saying it.

It might all depend on what "truck gun" means to you...

When I was growing up a truck gun was a inexpensive gun , usually a rifle or shotgun , kept in the truck for when a chance opportunity of a hunt came along.
These guns were bought with the idea being that you wouldn't mind them rattling around in the truck / trunk everyday with less than optimum care.
That is still my first thought when I hear the phrase "truck gun".

The idea of a SHTF gun keep in the truck / vehicle is a new one at least for me.
I can see valid reasons for having a gun in the car for "just in case"...And I understand the concern about having it stolen as well.
Andy

Last Edited:
To quote the immortal Clint Smith:

"The only purpose of a handgun is to fight your way back to the rifle that you never should have set down in the first place..."

There are ways and places to secure a long gun in your rig. The easiest involves a cable and a padlock. But since I don't pack an AR for a truck gun, I worry less.

The idea of the truck gun is for when you are going to be in it during traveling. I prefer the AR pistol in 300 blackout. Some may ask why? Simple. Same manual of arms I have over 24 years of experience with. Then followed by the fact that 1400 ft/lbs of energy makes me feel happy. :D
Yes you have to worry about vehicle being broken into but I want to know how or why are they aware of what is in your truck in the first place?

Unfortunately most people will never be able to hit accurately out to 100 yards with a handgun but my 300 blackout AR PISTOL is definitely feasible. ;)

With a little practice I could hit a pie plate at 100 yards most of the time.

As is I don't practice those lengths but I could keep someone's head down for fear of me hitting it:p.

I can be over prepared but a pistol fight at a hundred yards is even out of my realm of preparedness.

G26, Sub 2000 and a backpack. Would hold a Hydroflask and some TicTacs too. Just sayin'.
The PCC that got relegated to "truck gun" is a S2K in 9mm. Still love it but it's my least favorite of the PCC's I have now so that got it elected to this spot. Keep it with a couple happy sticks and couple G17 mags and an extra box of ammo. So if I get caught in some unexpected mess it would at least help a lot. Sure I will never need it but feels nice knowing it's there.

Truck gun in my book is just a added security to help you get back to your long ones! Self defense pistol courses aren't going to train you at 100 yds there going to train you on up close and personal. Had a discussion with a friend over the weekend about a course they took. The instructor was ex FBI and swat. His son is an ex navy seal. The two of them together teach a class and travel the united states doing it.

They don't allow you to use your sights and make you shoot by instinct. There theory is that most threats happen so fast and up close that you won't have time to use them. I never have thought about it but it defenitly makes sense.

So if I have a threat that is 100 yds out come get me. when your close enough all you will see is a flash:D

There are the events that are the outliers in terms of probability, and some of us prepare for them.

I work near downtown PDX - on the edge of the industrial area in NW PDX.

If there is something downtown that spills out into neighboring areas, I will probably be evacuating if I have warning and a pistol would probably be enough.

If I am at work/commuting to work (which I am 50 hours a week so about one in three chance), and the Cascadia zone lets loose, I will probably be on foot (if I survive, and if I can get to my vehicle) and it will take me days to get home. I will try to avoid most heavily populated areas, and I hope to get home before things degrade too far (if they do, I have to allow for that possibility), then there are scenarios where I may have to engage at a rifle distance (say, more than 25-50 yards) and/or times when having superior firepower can be very helpful (returning handgun fire with rifle fire can be advantageous).

So I consider having a hidden rifle in my car for getting home.

I vacillate back and forth on this, but my get home rifle does me no good sitting at home, and I can hide it in my car as easily as I can hide a pistol (the nature of my car and the rifle make this possible), my pistols cost as much as my rifle, the rifle (PS90) is a compact lightweight takedown bullpup with a large ammo capacity - so why not?

The one downside is keeping the rifle concealed on my person if I have to walk home carrying it. The CHL does not cover that eventuality. Rule of law will still be in force for at least a while in such a scenario, so that must be taken into account - I do not want to be arrested on my way home when it really really matters that I get home.

I have a solution for that - since the rifle easily and quickly comes apart and goes back together and stores in a case 18" square, or I can stored it in one of those 'stealth' SBR/bullpup bags. Still considering my options.

Last Edited:
That said, and as noted by others, the most likely event is something more like a mugging. I stay out of the city as much as possible, except to work, and I cannot carry at work nor is there a place to safely store there that would not get me fired if discovered (guns are verboten), so the guns stay in my vehicle which will do me no good if I get mugged between the parking garage and work.

Otherwise, I mostly stay away from 'iffy' areas and situations.

So my main reason for having guns in my car is the unlikely SHTF scenarios.

OTOH - the further away from home I get, the more nervous I am about needing a firearm for an unforeseen emergency.

When I retire in 3 years the plan is to move further out into the coastal range. Coming into Beaverton once a month to get/do something, and/or take my kids to dinner/movie will be my only reason to come into that risk zone, but then I will be at least twice as far from home and relative safety, which will increase the risk by at least double, probably more - albeit, the frequency would greatly decrease.

Or maybe this is all just a fantasy that serves as an excuse to get and have another gun? :oops:

This isn't really sound advice, and it's certainly not a discussion. It's an assertion. What's the point of this thread exactly? You didn't leave any room for conversation.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews