JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This isn't really sound advice, and it's certainly not a discussion. It's an assertion. What's the point of this thread exactly? You didn't leave any room for conversation.

According to your subjective opinion?:rolleyes: It's not advice, it's what I do, having done both. And mine is more sound than yours. You are faaaaar more likely to have your gun and gear stolen than needing a truck gun...The point of the thread is discussion...what is the point of your comment??:rolleyes:

I see the truck gun posts from time to time. I wouldn't want to leave a rifle or shotgun or any other gun in a car in Seattle's down town core, or most other places for that matter. I've seen people who had their cars broken into and weapons stolen.

I feel you should be proficient with your handgun up to 100 yards. Carry extra mags, ammo, etc. in the car instead of a truck gun. I'd rather have a ton of high capacity magazines with 20-30+ round capacity and a few hundred extra rounds of ammo. Sure, a rifle with expensive optics, plate carrier, etc. would be nice, but it's a balance of having gear you will likely need and not getting your expensive stuff stolen.

If everyone lived or worked in "Downtown Seattle" that might make sense for everyone!
But some of us live where a stop at the neighbor's house might include a quick quail hunt, shoot a few pigeons, Ground squirrels, or an occasional coyote!
None of that happens with my EDC pistol! DR

Another truck long gun for self-defense, would be an AR or AK pistol. For an AR pistol, it be much shorter than a rifle, about the same as a bullpup, you can pick whatever chambering you want, the barrel you want and so on. The advantage being it is a pistol and can be carried concealed with a permit.

I considered this, and I may still get/make one.

There are number of others that fall into a similar niche; the KT SU 16, other takedowns.

It depends on what you are going to do with it.

When I retire I intend to be traveling in an RV during the winter, and some of that will be going south to hunt pigs. Since I may pass through Calif. to visit relatives (or not) one option is to take a lever gun and a revolver and some rimfire firearms.

Again, getting a firearm stolen really has little to do with what gun you put in a vehicle as long as it can be hidden. I have a number of handguns that cost two to three times what some of my long guns cost. If I have to leave them in the vehicle because where I am going doesn't allow firearms, then does it matter whether it is a long gun or a handgun?

Another truck long gun for self-defense, would be an AR or AK pistol. For an AR pistol, it be much shorter than a rifle, about the same as a bullpup, you can pick whatever chambering you want, the barrel you want and so on. The advantage being it is a pistol and can be carried concealed with a permit.

I considered this, and I may still get/make one.

There are number of others that fall into a similar niche; the KT SU 16, other takedowns.

It depends on what you are going to do with it.

When I retire I intend to be traveling in an RV during the winter, and some of that will be going south to hunt pigs. Since I may pass through Calif. to visit relatives (or not) one option is to take a lever gun and a revolver and some rimfire firearms.

Again, getting a firearm stolen really has little to do with what gun you put in a vehicle as long as it can be hidden. I have a number of handguns that cost two to three times what some of my long guns cost. If I have to leave them in the vehicle because where I am going doesn't allow firearms, then does it matter whether it is a long gun or a handgun?

AR pistol build is on my wish list.

Best way to keep a loaded 'truck gun' imo.

I thought the same thing with a 458 socom upper! :D

Yeah, 458, or .300 Blackout or 762x39 - those are good out of a shorter barrel.

There is also the 45 Raptor which can shoot 460 magnum, but you have to go to an AR10 platform then. There is also the .460 Rowland. I don't care for pistol carbines, I prefer a full rifle cartridge, but there are a lot of choices out there.

truck guns no longer enjoy the status originally bestowed upon them cepting for a few remoter locations. Originally a food getter, generally a long gun, found when and where people never had keys to their houses or locked their vehicles, and always left loaded and available.
I grew up on the waining edge of that era so still visualize and intend it as a game getter (or varmint) albeit no longer does it reside in the truck 24 - 7 but only when I exit the urban area.
Now and by most, they are more considered a self defense item for the two legged variety. As a concealed carry advocate having witnessed much unpleasantness, I believe it prudent that my other vehicles always have a more practical equalizer for the two legged vermin, in condition two, and able to be wielded one handed if necessary, while on my person condition one.
Laws applicable to CCW are very generous (by todays standards) regarding the carry of loaded weapons in a vehicle making which ever way you think a "truck Gun" means , more practicable as there isn't anything more worthless in an emergency or stumbling upon game or varmint than an unloaded gun! This to me personifies and amplifies the need to obtain a CCW permit since without it, your tire iron is of more use..
I do not refer to hidden hand guns as "truck guns". Since I carry, they are backups or the go to, for the few rare times I leave home without packing.
I think the truck gun needs a new name to fit the modern times ?

According to your subjective opinion?:rolleyes: It's not advice, it's what I do, having done both. And mine is more sound than yours. You are faaaaar more likely to have your gun and gear stolen than needing a truck gun...The point of the thread is discussion...what is the point of your comment??:rolleyes:
To hurt your fragile sensibilities, apparently. Can't take an ounce of criticism without attacking the person? Take a breather from the ego trip. Are you just bragging about shooting pistols at 100 yards? That's what it seems like. I'm gonna go ahead and NOT take your advice, and leave my rifle locked up in my vehicle safe so I can get to it when I need it.

Yeah, 458, or .300 Blackout or 762x39 - those are good out of a shorter barrel.

There is also the 45 Raptor which can shoot 460 magnum, but you have to go to an AR10 platform then. There is also the .460 Rowland. I don't care for pistol carbines, I prefer a full rifle cartridge, but there are a lot of choices out there.

.300 is our current choice, as far as AR pistol/truck gun goes.

.223/5.56 in our pistols without ear protection would likely leave us deaf short term from just a few rounds.

.300 we could likely tolerate far better, before we could get ear protection in. Same capacity with a weight penalty. Better energy at AR pistol distance.

Rifle would likely be AK platform, as "someone" snagged a perfectly suited PS90 for a truck gun at a great price...

However I do like the legalities of an AR (or AK) pistol from the concealment perspective. Foul weather slung under a decent jacket? Few would be the wiser.

Edit: Can we legally put one of those law tactical folders on an AR pistol with a brace?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top