JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Ten Cent Modification You Can Do to Double Your Radio's Range - Ask a Prepper

10%20cent.jpg

234 x frequency Divide by 12 = optimum antenna length.
IE 126.500 x 234 =29601. =2466.75 ( 24 feet 6.6 inches)
Get a spliter (Red and Black connector ) that replaces your antenna.
D or C cell battery with a nail in each end that don't touch in the middle
put 1 wire on each side run a of the connector and each side of the battery
Run it in a straight line on 2 inches off the ground or from tree to tree.

You now have a directional antenna with the max sending and receiving range for your radio.:)

13F2P Radio guru stuff

This wire loop kind of thing always makes me smile.

I started my first career as a FCC licensed communications technician (1st phone w/FAA and Radar Endorsement) back when we used to call it two-way radio (or BC- before cellular). If it transmits or receives a signal I've pretty much worked on it at some point in my life.

Adding a wire loop to a handheld device as an augmentation to the antenna's ground plane doesn't really change the laws of physics but typically only compensates for a poorly designed antenna circuit. Range is measured bidirectionally on a transceiver so likewise, increasing transmit power (a favorite among radio heads) will do nothing for receiver improvements (in some cases saturating the front end and causing a desense condition or PLL issue). You typically can't improve reception without adhering to the laws of physics either.

For best results using a handheld inside a vehicle or building, get the antenna outside (mag mount with a cabled BNC connection, etc.). Depending on the frequency, RF energy hates glass, metal, wood, upholstery, people, etc. It will reflect off of those surfaces far more than transmitting through them. The higher the frequency, the less penetration and higher reflectivity characteristics the signal will exhibit (every seen a large metal panel on the side of a hill or mountain used to redirect a microwave shot?).

The other loose rule of thumb is if you double the height of the antenna in reference to ground you will roughly quadruple it's effective range. Not exactly, but close enough for discussion. So, moving to higher ground, with all other variables being equal, will typically yield better transmit and receive results (again, within the laws of physics).

YMMV and I had to clear some cobwebs to remember some of this.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top