JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Some of you got me thinking.

I mean......about the originations of some Police interactions with the public. BUT, But, but.....never mind because......the Memphis, TN case is different from the Floyd case.

Last edited by a moderator:
So he initially fails to comply, resists arrest, and then runs...and then the cops dealt out some street justice.

Sometimes people in power and position of authority become corrupted by it. Maybe more than sometimes. And people in jobs like cops...who see violence and the worst that society has to offer day in and day out...can lose their humanity and respect for the value of life and decency. And/or they can lose the ability to shut things down once it's clear the situation is under control. It's Eff'd up but it happens.

The video is tough to watch. It also begs the question of, "what else have these officers done that we don't know about?" It's unlikely that this is the first time they crossed the line.

The good news here is that they were caught, albeit not in time to save this poor soul, may he Rest in Peace. These officers will get what is coming to them...first through the legal system and then through the prison system. Former cops don't do well in prison.

Hopefully the cities don't burn. But can you imagine if the cops were white? The shame here is that there is a real issue that should be discussed but probably won't...If black cops are capable of doing this to a black person, then there is clearly more going on in these types of events than purely race. And/or there is certainly the possibility that it isn't always about race when these things happen. But were these cops bad from the start? Or is there something about the work itself that can lead to this? And if so, what can be done to prevent it and how can it be identified when a cop crosses over...and before something like this happens?

None of this, however, is likely to get discussed. We'll be lucky if this doesn't reignite the whole, "defund the police" nonsense.

So he initially fails to comply, resists arrest, and then runs...and then the cops dealt out some street justice.
From the body cam video I've seen, Mr. Nichols' first encounter with the MPD was them charging his vehicle, ripping his door open, and dragging him out of the car onto the ground. It did not appear to me that he even had a chance to fail to comply first, before they lit into him.

Granted, the bits of body cam video I have seen consist of interior shots of police cruisers and then cops running towards a car. I have not seen any video from a police car that actually captures Mr. Nichols' car on video in any sort of reckless fashion - it's already stopped. Which is why I said in a post upthread that I had only heard reports/seen video where a reporter claims (based upon what, I don't know) that he was driving recklessly. So, my initial information apparently was in error, and I have since been schooled on that - the MPD Chief said there's no evidence of reckless driving to motivate an arrest. So, without the reckless driving (which is what the accused cops claim Mr. Nichols' was doing that motivated their actions), there doesn't appear to be much to which to fail to comply.

Last Edited:
From the body cam video I've seen, Mr. Nichols' first encounter with the MPD was them charging his vehicle, ripping his door open, and dragging him out of the car onto the ground. It did not appear to me that he even have a chance to resist arrest first, before they lit into him.
Right. But they didn't all just get dropped there. Something came before that film started.

Right. But they didn't all just get dropped there. Something came before that film started.
Which I don't think any of us have seen. Hence, my thought that instead of speculation and conjecture, we all should wait until the federal investigation is concluded and the facts come out in court.

From the body cam video I've seen, Mr. Nichols' first encounter with the MPD was them charging his vehicle, ripping his door open, and dragging him out of the car onto the ground. It did not appear to me that he even have a chance to resist arrest first, before they lit into him.
You said it..."from the body cam." But what went down prior to this? Why were they charging his vehicle and pulling him out?

Resisting is a broad term that encompasses a lot. He was, most certainly, not complying on the ground. He wouldn't lie on his stomach and allow himself to be cuffed. That is resisting. At that point, they weren't threatening to tase him just for the hell of it. And getting up and running is absolutely resisting.

Nobody is entirely sure yet what went down before this...yet. Hopefully we find that out....Was he driving recklessly or not? Did he try to outrun the cops initially or not? Something, likely, had to have gone down prior to this for the cops to be that heated. And sure, maybe these five cops all got together and said, "Man I'm bored. It's a slow night. Hey! Why don't we go drag someone out of their car, cause that's always a good time! Great idea! There's one! Let's get him!" And off they go. I mean, sure that's possible. But it's pretty unlikely.

Which I don't think any of us have seen. Hence, my thought that instead of speculation and conjecture, we all should wait until the federal investigation is concluded and the facts come out in court.
Completely agree. No one here was there. BUT, that is not a defense of what we saw, just a statement that we don't have any of the FACTS in front of us.

78c.jpg

You said it..."from the body cam." But what went down prior to this? Why were they charging his vehicle and pulling him out?
I don't think we know yet. I have watched all four videos in the link that @VinnieBoomBah posted, and none of them start before Mr. Nichols' car is already stopped. Video #1 is where the cops dragged him out of the car, and you can hear Mr. Nichols' first say, "I didn't do anything", followed shortly by him saying repeatedly, "Alright! Alright! Alright!" in response to the cops telling him to get on the ground, after they have already ripped him from his car. So, I don't see a lot of "failure to comply" and "resisting arrest" on Mr. Nichols' part in this video (#1). It's only after they pepper-spray him and beat him does he manage to get loose and make a break to avoid further beatings and being sprayed again. I imagine I might try the same thing and escape a beating by multiple large people. We might not always think things all the way through in brutal situations such as that...
Resisting is a broad term that encompasses a lot. He was, most certainly, not complying on the ground. He wouldn't lie on his stomach and allow himself to be cuffed. That is resisting. At that point, they weren't threatening to tase him just for the hell of it. And getting up and running is absolutely resisting.
I don't agree with your assessment. Watch Video #1 at the link above and note how his body is contorted by the way they are restraining him. Then ask yourself if you could lie on the ground, given the way they are holding him. It would've had to have been one helluva Houdini move...
Nobody is entirely sure yet what went down before this...yet. Hopefully we find that out....Was he driving recklessly or not? Did he try to outrun the cops initially or not? Something, likely, had to have gone down prior to this for the cops to be that heated.
No, nobody is entirely sure of what went down beforehand, which is why I continually call for restraint and patience, and let the federal investigation conclude and for the facts to come out in court. But I'll tell you this: he didn't try to outrun the cops until well after they had pepper-sprayed and beat him. The videos bear that out completely. I can't imagine very many people wanting to stick around for more of that kind of evening entertainment.....
And sure, maybe these five cops all got together and said, "Man I'm bored. It's a slow night. Hey! Why don't we go drag someone out of their car, cause that's always a good time! Great idea! There's one! Let's get him!" And off they go. I mean, sure that's possible. But it's pretty unlikely.
I doubt that's what they were thinking, given the whole "Defund the Police" thing, but the more I watch those videos, the more I lean toward this becoming a Murder 2 wrap for those five (and maybe even more) cops...

Last Edited:
Completely agree. No one here was there. BUT, that is not a defense of what we saw, just a statement that we don't have any of the FACTS in front of us.
Which is what I have been saying... relentlessly...

Maybe, but the people that DO have all the facts, like you know, the chief of police, the local police union, the DA and all those folks, they all came to the same conclusion.

But you know, dO yOuR 0wN reAcsuCHC or whatever :rolleyes:

Maybe, but the people that DO have all the facts, like you know, the chief of police, the local police union, the DA and all those folks, they all came to the same conclusion.

But you know, dO yOuR 0wN reAcsuCHC or whatever :rolleyes:
Then by all means go with that. ALWAYS trust the politicians to tell you the truth and ALL the facts.

I dunno. Obviously the LEO's used excessive force and the end result was horrific, but I guess sometimes I have a difficult time feeling a great deal of sympathy. That doesn't mean I don't agree with the officers being fired and charged in this case, but when you defund the police, have tons of new cops with low standards of recruiting criterea and poor training... is it really all that shocking to be seeing these things happening? Is it happeneing more or just being broadcast to the public more often? I dunno that either.

Watching a lot of similar encounter videos though there is a very disturbing trend easily noticed. If a perp is ordered to do something, it's taking time, hands on by multiple officers is required and the perp keeping repeating, "I am, I am" or "I'm complying"... yeah.... that codeword for they are most definately doing the exact opposite.

These days it seems the acceptable default is to resist until proper force is applied. It's okay to run. It's okay to fight with LEO's and absolute disrespect and defiance over the piddliest infraction (like getting pulled over for an expired tag) is perfectly legit. "I know my rights", "you're not respecting me so I'm going to disrespect you back".... blah, blah, blah.

Everyone cries foul and rights violations when they lose the power struggle.

What is extremely obvious in most all of these type cases is that if they had simply complied, shut up and just owned up to whatever they were stopped for... the vast majority of this kind of crap would never happen.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Last Edited:
Im going with innocent until proven guilty. The cops would have to be pretty stupid to pull someone over and beat them to death without evidence of a serious crime. Use of force still has to meet the reasonableness standard, even if he was Im suspecting the wreckless driving theory is just a red herring....

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads