JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If we want to curtail all government spending drastically, I assume these people will be let go. They are a huge drain on state coffers. Doesn't limited government, as currently being proposed, contemplate closing all prisons funded with taxpayer money?

If so, they won't be a problem when the SHTF, they'll be your neighbors.

If you truly want to know, I suggest reading The Walking Dead comic book series.
Starting around issue #13.

This answer is as valid as any other. SHTF is not a scenario, it is a description for any number or scenarios.

By SHTF, do you mean a natural disaster? WW3? Localized civil unrest? Financial meltdown? Zombies?
The answer to your question would be different for all of these scenarios, and even then there would be many different outcomes based on the individual details of each scenario.

If you look at it objectively, a prison is a rather safe place. It's usually a very sturdy building surrounded by protective fences. It's well armed with many defensive positions. It's relatively self sustaining, usually having it's own gardens and large supplies of canned or dried foods.

If whatever SHTF scenario you're imagining was able to leave a population that was small enough to be sustainable yet large enough to maintain order and protection, a prison would be almost an ideal place to ride out whatever may be happening.

If you truly want to know, I suggest reading The Walking Dead comic book series.
Starting around issue #13.

This answer is as valid as any other. SHTF is not a scenario, it is a description for any number or scenarios.

By SHTF, do you mean a natural disaster? WW3? Localized civil unrest? Financial meltdown? Zombies?
The answer to your question would be different for all of these scenarios, and even then there would be many different outcomes based on the individual details of each scenario.

If you look at it objectively, a prison is a rather safe place. It's usually a very sturdy building surrounded by protective fences. It's well armed with many defensive positions. It's relatively self sustaining, usually having it's own gardens and large supplies of canned or dried foods.

If whatever SHTF scenario you're imagining was able to leave a population that was small enough to be sustainable yet large enough to maintain order and protection, a prison would be almost an ideal place to ride out whatever may be happening.

Prisons would also provide a vast feeding opportunity for the zombie hordes.......:s0114::s0155:

Prisons would also provide a vast feeding opportunity for the zombie hordes.......:s0114::s0155:

Only if someone were to knock down the very sturdy and tall fence that surrounded the entire facility.
Otherwise, it would be a great place to sit back and "horde watch" (read people watch with zombies) through the fence.

You should just read the comic books.
They're easily downloaded ;)

Simply referred to by the survivors as, "The Prison", it was found by Dale and Andrea after the group left Hershel's farm. The Prison boasted three solid walls surrounding the entire penitentiary, as well as having it's back to a hill and only one main dirt road leading to the entrance. Starving and desperate, the group quickly summarized that it being in a relatively isolated area, and without any other potential safe places to go, it was the most viable option to at least stay safe for the night. The decision was quickly made to search and secure the penitentiary.

Only if someone were to knock down the very sturdy and tall fence that surrounded the entire facility.
Otherwise, it would be a great place to sit back and "horde watch" (read people watch with zombies) through the fence.

You should just read the comic books.
They're easily downloaded ;)

If you like the story in the comic books you should check out James Axler right now it is just Fiction,
Heh Heh

Fuuny question at the outset, but begs to be answered if you live near prisons or jails or on a natural line of drift,...like between the correctional facility and upper middle class resiedences or commercial areas.

I imagine most correctional facilities use electronic locks, security and monitoring devices. What happens if the power goes off and stays off? Given time, I bet my bottom Krugerand that inmates, devoid of prying guard eyes and OC spray, can figure a way out. Woe behold the average citizen nearby the prison grounds once that happens.

If something happens that precludes escape,...well,....I won't be making tears for 'em.

UrbanMan
Urban Survival Skills, Survival Equipment, Survival Planning and Preparation

:if we want to save money lets let the prisoners out to join the military and put oboma and his people where they were theres 600 or 700 billion i just saved us.:D just saying i started sh?? now .:D

"It's relatively self sustaining, usually having it's own gardens and large supplies of canned or dried foods."
I used to write for Correctional Management and Technology Magazine Y2K was a great year for me because I got to write si-fi and pass it off as fact. There was alot of code writing done to keep the doors LOCKED on Y2K, that was #1 priority. A secondary concern was the JIT shipping of food because Prisons just like the rest of society depend on timely shipments of food so they do not need to build whare houses at the prison site. Some facilities have daily deliverys of prepared meals. Expect to see "non-violent" inmates released just as Portland did some decades back 1994-5?
Oh IMHO a prision is made to keep PPL inside locked-up, what if your inside a cell and the power comes back on, the cell doors shut and lock what happens then?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top