Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

The other folks ?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by lowly monk, Feb 25, 2011.

1. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

What hapens to the men and women who are in prisons if the shtf?

2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Unless they can escape, they die.

3. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

If we want to curtail all government spending drastically, I assume these people will be let go. They are a huge drain on state coffers. Doesn't limited government, as currently being proposed, contemplate closing all prisons funded with taxpayer money?

If so, they won't be a problem when the SHTF, they'll be your neighbors.

4. powersbj

powersbj Seattle Area Active Member

"In 1612, Virginia Governor Sir Thomas Dale enacted the Divine, Moral and Martial Laws, which provided the death penalty for even minor offenses such as stealing grapes, killing chickens, and trading with Indians. "

...Im just say'n.....

5. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

If you truly want to know, I suggest reading The Walking Dead comic book series.
    Starting around issue #13.
    thewalkingdeadvolume3.jpg

This answer is as valid as any other. SHTF is not a scenario, it is a description for any number or scenarios.

By SHTF, do you mean a natural disaster? WW3? Localized civil unrest? Financial meltdown? Zombies?
    The answer to your question would be different for all of these scenarios, and even then there would be many different outcomes based on the individual details of each scenario.

If you look at it objectively, a prison is a rather safe place. It's usually a very sturdy building surrounded by protective fences. It's well armed with many defensive positions. It's relatively self sustaining, usually having it's own gardens and large supplies of canned or dried foods.

If whatever SHTF scenario you're imagining was able to leave a population that was small enough to be sustainable yet large enough to maintain order and protection, a prison would be almost an ideal place to ride out whatever may be happening.

6. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Prisons would also provide a vast feeding opportunity for the zombie hordes.......:laugh::thumbup:

7. MrNiceGuy

Only if someone were to knock down the very sturdy and tall fence that surrounded the entire facility.
    Otherwise, it would be a great place to sit back and "horde watch" (read people watch with zombies) through the fence.

You should just read the comic books.
    They're easily downloaded ;)

8. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

If you like the story in the comic books you should check out James Axler right now it is just Fiction,
    Heh Heh

9. MrNiceGuy

I've tried, but there's no zombies... so....

10. billdeserthills

They got radiation-sick people & Mutants, it is very close

11. UrbanMan

UrbanMan SW United States New Member

Fuuny question at the outset, but begs to be answered if you live near prisons or jails or on a natural line of drift,...like between the correctional facility and upper middle class resiedences or commercial areas.

I imagine most correctional facilities use electronic locks, security and monitoring devices. What happens if the power goes off and stays off? Given time, I bet my bottom Krugerand that inmates, devoid of prying guard eyes and OC spray, can figure a way out. Woe behold the average citizen nearby the prison grounds once that happens.

If something happens that precludes escape,...well,....I won't be making tears for 'em.

UrbanMan
    Urban Survival Skills, Survival Equipment, Survival Planning and Preparation

12. billdeserthills

Electric locks come in two flavors, unlocked if power fails & Locked if Power Fails,
    Guess which ones is used at Prison...

13. Woodswalker

Woodswalker THe great PNW Member

one HOPES locked if unpowered.

14. billdeserthills

Heh Heh, Yep, that is the one

15. Woodswalker

Woodswalker THe great PNW Member

bummer to be in when the power goes off...for good.

16. nitestocker

nitestocker woodland washington Well-Known Member

:if we want to save money lets let the prisoners out to join the military and put oboma and his people where they were theres 600 or 700 billion i just saved us.:D just saying i started sh?? now .:D

17. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Maybe, but the brains certainly would not be gourmet fare !

18. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

I guess it depends on how strong the walls are, how big the quake is, and what the 'response' would be.

After the Haiti quake, approximately 4500 inmates escaped:

FRONTLINE: Battle for Haiti | PBS

19. A.I.P.

A.I.P. UpperUS Active Member

"It's relatively self sustaining, usually having it's own gardens and large supplies of canned or dried foods."
    I used to write for Correctional Management and Technology Magazine Y2K was a great year for me because I got to write si-fi and pass it off as fact. There was alot of code writing done to keep the doors LOCKED on Y2K, that was #1 priority. A secondary concern was the JIT shipping of food because Prisons just like the rest of society depend on timely shipments of food so they do not need to build whare houses at the prison site. Some facilities have daily deliverys of prepared meals. Expect to see "non-violent" inmates released just as Portland did some decades back 1994-5?
    Oh IMHO a prision is made to keep PPL inside locked-up, what if your inside a cell and the power comes back on, the cell doors shut and lock what happens then?

20. speelyei

speelyei Willamette Valley Active Member

Well, of course the Walkin' Dude will show up and make you an offer you can't refuse.